Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We probably won't be able to in the summer either. We'll have further instalments of SPFL money and we'll have season ticket money. The cash to sack him may well be there. Unfortunately it would impact on our budget for next season. Unless we've got a sound termination clause in his contract, we'd need to pay him the rest of his contract.

I'd like to think any board handing out a 2 year deal to a manager wouldn't be stupid enough not to prepare for a situation like this.

57 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

I'd happily contribute to a 'Go fund me'  page set up in order to pay a settlement for farrells departure.    If there's a time for the AWOL owners to show and interest it is now .  Seen better management and players down the Argyll parks today !!

It's entirely unworkable to have a fund for something like that but the fans shouldn't be the ones doing a whip round to get rid of the gaffer. Following this club since the start of covid has been nothing but a chore and still the hardcore support have backed the club. They apparently interviewed candidates and decided Faz was the man to lead us. It's gone wrong, it's on them to fix it. 

Head above the parapet time here… I see criticism for Wright, Stanger and Bronsky here, particularly in light of yesterday’s shambles.  Unfair in my opinion and it’s people looking for easy targets.

None of them were great yesterday, but who was?

Our issues are far more widespread than three new-ish signings not setting the place alight.

We appear to have no direction or set way to play.

We have a terrible lack of discipline.

We look unorganised and chaotic at the back.

We lack determination as a unit when things start terribly.

We start games terribly on far, far too many occasions and give ourselves a mountain to climb.

We only have two out-and-out strikers on the books (one until January).

The squad is unbalanced and we don’t have many serious impact options from the bench.

All of the above while the players have a responsibility individually, as a collective is down to the manager. He’s got to go. I too worry if the board have the cojones or nous to make the change necessary but it is necessary. Everyone can see it. Nice guy I’m sure.  But his time’s up.

4 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

Looking at yesterdays line up

stanger couldn’t get a game at Stirling in lowland. Bronsky couldn’t get a game in league 2. Boyle came from lowland league. All 3 not good enough for league 1. Is it any wonder we struggle and that was our defence 

But on the flipside, carswell has played Championship and involved at premier league, Paton has caps at international level, Wylde has European experience, GK is at Rangers and won league 1 last season, MacLean has Premier League experience, Buchanan has won various promotions. The manager should be getting more out this team. 

Paton and Wylde have played at higher level but both on way down and like the others signed from lowland. For that I didn’t expect more from them .
fir me Paton has been one of positives along with pigniatello. 

Duthie does ok but has no real end product and has now been stuck up front 
I chose not to go thru the whole team as faults with all.

I actually thought a number of the signings at start of season and in window were questionable as has been proven 

1 hour ago, CatAlan said:

Head above the parapet time here… I see criticism for Wright, Stanger and Bronsky here, particularly in light of yesterday’s shambles.  Unfair in my opinion and it’s people looking for easy targets.

None of them were great yesterday, but who was?

Our issues are far more widespread than three new-ish signings not setting the place alight.

We appear to have no direction or set way to play.

We have a terrible lack of discipline.

We look unorganised and chaotic at the back.

We lack determination as a unit when things start terribly.

We start games terribly on far, far too many occasions and give ourselves a mountain to climb.

The squad is unbalanced and we don’t have many serious impact options from the bench.

All of the above while the players have a responsibility individually, as a collective is down to the manager. He’s got to go. I too worry if the board have the cojones or nous to make the change necessary but it is necessary. Everyone can see it. Nice guy I’m sure.  But his time’s up.

Absolutely spot-on assessment.  Some of us have held serious reservations for quite some time on team matters but there were more than a few on here clinging to the 'great start' line, allied to 'we have a good squad' patter when evidence to the contrary was steadily growing.  There is a point at which reality trumps continual wishful thinking.  And that time is now - over to the Board to at least try to rescue this car-crash of a season.

43 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Absolutely spot-on assessment.  Some of us have held serious reservations for quite some time on team matters but there were more than a few on here clinging to the 'great start' line, allied to 'we have a good squad' patter when evidence to the contrary was steadily growing.  There is a point at which reality trumps continual wishful thinking.  And that time is now - over to the Board to at least try to rescue this car-crash of a season.

Aye…. with the caveat it will need to be the very same players that get us out of the mess 

Knowing Farrel well. , he's good at shafting folk well for his own personal gain. He will make sure he has something substantial in his contract so he makes something out of nothing like he has done for many years   . It may cost us to give him the boot . Either now or we wait  . Still gna cost us but a worthy cost in my opinion .we have 7 Cup finals left as already mentioned . I don't see the team rallying behind him now,  haven't done it all season. 

3 hours ago, CatAlan said:

Who was the other out and out striker? Of the players who have played up front this season the only real striker among them is big Josh. 

MacLean - winger

Orsi - when he signed the Morton fans said he’s never a striker and is more effective out wide

Duthie - winger

Stokes - midfielder

Schiavone - Hearts signed him as a winger and have been trying to mould him into a striker. He definitely didn’t look like an out and out striker.

I think it’s absolutely criminal we’ve had one proper striker available for about 4 games this entire season. 

Unless Dumbarton are different from any other club I know of, even though the manager has a 2 year deal etc the notice period to pay is not more than 90 days. It begs the question what's the point then in 2/3 year deals & am not sure. Maybe just for public stability.

But the point is the pay offs are not as much as what people may think.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Who was the other out and out striker? Of the players who have played up front this season the only real striker among them is big Josh. 

MacLean - winger

Orsi - when he signed the Morton fans said he’s never a striker and is more effective out wide

Duthie - winger

Stokes - midfielder

Schiavone - Hearts signed him as a winger and have been trying to mould him into a striker. He definitely didn’t look like an out and out striker.

I think it’s absolutely criminal we’ve had one proper striker available for about 4 games this entire season. 

I was considering McLean as the other but yeah, he might well be considered a winger, which makes our whole striking fiasco this season all the more deplorable.

So, what with it being a boring Sunday evening with not much else to do, coupled with me being that sad, I thought I’d have a look at the remaining games for the sides around us and make a possible projection for the remainder of the season.

I’ve tried to remain balanced and go on both league position, form and how much is at stake for each fixture when projecting, but by my reckoning we’ll need at least 8 points from the remaining fixtures to avoid the drop or play-offs.  There’s of course stacks of different permutations but that’s what I think we could need.

The sides around us play each other and we only have Alloa and Peterhead of those we are in direct competition with, so 8 points is a substantial ask. It’s got to start with this Saturday although I’m sure we all said that about yesterday’s trip to Fife…

1 hour ago, OKsons2020 said:

Change his role and do away with it . If he's a coach then Change the role and title to manager and vice versa . All he's entitled to is a weeks wage for every year he's served. If you wana go down the road of unfair dismissal hes not got a leg to stand on , employment tribunal he's not been there for 2 years   . We should be taking him to court for fraud .  Too bad we can't ask him for advice how to stab people in the back and take a job from under them like he does to the very folk who fell for his talking off the park ,as it were . 

Ps not sour grapes either . I am just someone who knows how he operates Monday to Friday in his so called day Job . Never needed his services but seen first hand the damage he can do , unfortunately not in the footballing way we would  like. 

What is his day job? 

8 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

Worst union guy known to man. Been selling folk down the river for over 16 years . Back handers and miss representing members , he's an inside man !!!! Wouldn't surprise me if he was in cahoots with the board and receiving a nice brown envelope.  That's not an exaggeration either!!!  

Thanks, just had a quick Google there. You can tell he does a lot of media work by the way he speaks when interviewed. Answering questions that haven’t been asked and steering conversations. Excuse my ignorance but what do you reckon he will be getting paid at dumbarton? Surely not enough to make it worth while sticking about to take the abuse that will be coming.  Is he staying just to prove a point or does he think he can scrape through this? Makes you wonder 

9 hours ago, OKsons2020 said:

Worst union guy known to man. Been selling folk down the river for over 16 years . Back handers and miss representing members , he's an inside man !!!! Wouldn't surprise me if he was in cahoots with the board and receiving a nice brown envelope.  That's not an exaggeration either!!!  

Some fairly bold accusations being throw around here. I don't think Faz deserves to remain in his football job but I also don't think he deserves a load of personal abuse. You're accusing him of some pretty serious corruption across both his jobs here, if you've evidence of those things then go through proper channels, you could land yourself in bother throwing that stuff around on here. 

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I think it’s quite safe to say that if the board don’t act (which looks a certainty) there will be a very unpleasant atmosphere indeed in the next two home games.

It's interesting that the next match is a home fixture with Falkirk, a club whose supporters aren't slow to vent their anger.  The ever-diminishing band of Dumbarton fans don't do anger, so you will be left with some miserable attendances and an atmosphere of sullen resignation.  There will be no unpleasantness, and very likely, no signs of leadership.

The football we’re watching has been poor for a good few seasons with little sign of improvement. I’d still prefer not to see an unpleasant atmosphere. Weary resignation and folk chucking going is understandable. But most, if not all, of the positives in recent years are down to the efforts of the trust, volunteers, certain sponsors and fans putting their hands in their pockets.
We’ve enough about us as a support to tackle the owners, who ultimately, appear to be choking the life out of the club.