Sons' sorrow

Farrell out , I don’t even care if we go down , but I’d have a new manager that can hopefully prepare for next season, regardless of the league we’re in, 

Dumbarton, as a club, need to get back to the footballing side of things pretty sharpish, instead of fighting over the scraps of the future sale after our move

We’re looking like the next Brechin at present 

1 minute ago, optimistic said:

Farrell out , I don’t even care if we go down , but I’d have a new manager that can hopefully prepare for next season, regardless of the league we’re in, 

Dumbarton, as a club, need to get back to the footballing side of things pretty sharpish, instead of fighting over the scraps of the future sale after our move

We’re looking like the next Brechin at present 

We are fucking stinking 

relegate us now

farrel out 

The last time we lost all four league matches to a team was to Livingston in 2017/18. We were relegated that season.

I think our whole season now hinges on next Saturday. If we get a point or more, I reckon we'll finish 9th. Lose and I can see East Fife overtaking us.

We were poor today and never really looked like scoring. Add to that pretty lacklustre midfield and a defence that looked capable of a mistake at any moment and it’s a recipe for a convincing defeat.

Ive been supportive of Faz but it’s become increasingly diffuse to defend his position. I don’t think the board will remove him so we’ll plod on to the end of the season in the hope East Fife remain worse than us and Alloa’s poor form edges ours. Next weekend is a huge game.

27 minutes ago, microdave said:

The last time we lost all four league matches to a team was to Livingston in 2017/18. We were relegated that season.

I think our whole season now hinges on next Saturday. If we get a point or more, I reckon we'll finish 9th. Lose and I can see East Fife overtaking us.

I'm going next weekend, so a pumping SHOULD be on the cards. However, given the opposition, a win is entirely possible.

Another good home support today & we got served that inept shit.

3 goals handed on a plate to Queens, Farrell has absolutely no idea how to set up his team/formation, he's taking us on the same trajectory he took Stranraer, and as for our pitch, 2 weeks without a game on it & the surface was even worse today. Lol what a joke 

It’s almost not even been worth watching the home games this season. The next two at home (Falkirk and Montrose) are all but a guaranteed nil points too.

The only positive is that we’re not far behind Peterhead and Alloa at all, but at the moment it feels more likely that we will be overtaken by East Fife.

Maybe next week we’ll play like we did at Clyde and all will be well…

On 04/03/2022 at 10:05, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Does anyone ever just think “just take us oot the back and shoot us”?

Fair play to guys like @O'Kelly Isley III it must be absolutely draining having to deal with this shite constantly. Your work is appreciated.

Thank you BBPF, I appreciate your comment.

And it is draining, but if nothing else it takes your mind off what is happening on the park.  I wasn't at the Queens game yesterday and normally I'd be a bit miffed at missing a home match, but you know what, I couldn't give a f**k.

At ten to three I was stood at a wedding in church in rural Perthshire when a fellow guest asked me what I thought our score would be; 3-0 Queens I replied.  Predictable doesn't begin to cover it.

The club is sliding right now, and I don't think anyone knows where it will lead to.  But we've been in similar situations before and survived , so the work goes on.  We hope for better days.

On 04/03/2022 at 09:59, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just to let everyone know that the Sons Supporters Trust has now written to the Planning Convener of West Dunbartonshire Council to enquire why a safeguarding clause in the previous West Dunbartonshire Local Plan which intimated that there could be no development of the existing football ground at Castle Road, other than on two adjacent parcels of land to the north of the site and for which planning permission has already been granted, until the club was re-housed in a similar facility in the local area, appears to have been omitted in the (latest) Plan 2 version of this document.  We have also asked who took this decision and why, and whether it can be restored.

In our opinion this could potentially be a very concerning situation for Dumbarton Football Club and to reinforce this point the letter references the experience of our Clydebank neighbours some twenty years ago.  We shall of course keep everyone posted on a response. 

Much appreciated.

20 minutes ago, cremola foam said:

A question.

At this point who would you prefer as manager, Duffy or Farrell?

A straight choice between the two in a relegation dogfight I would go for Duffy.

Neither. Duffy’s performance in last year’s relegation scrap was no better than where we are just now. Both of them are pish.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Neither. Duffy’s performance in last year’s relegation scrap was no better than where we are just now. Both of them are pish.

Aye. I don't think anyone should be getting rose tinted in any way about us last season. We scored 14 goals in 22 games. Three of them in the final game of the season. 

Under Duffy we were extremely defensive. And that saw us record a top half number of clean sheets. But still finish ninth.

Under Faz we're scoring a top half number of goals. But sitting ninth.

Faz has addressed our single biggest issue from last season impressively by putting out a team that can score goals. Unfortunately it's came at the expense of our single biggest strength. So here we are, stuck in exactly the same position. Having found a totally different way to land ourselves ninth in the league.

39 minutes ago, cremola foam said:

A question.

At this point who would you prefer as manager, Duffy or Farrell?

A straight choice between the two in a relegation dogfight I would go for Duffy.

If it’s one or the other, from a purely pragmatic standpoint I’d take Jim Duffy to get us away from the bottom two or steer us through a playoff.
We may be scoring a fair number of goals this season but at the end of games I don’t feel any more joy than when Jim Duffy was in charge. 

It's a hypothetical choice, that's for sure, but what will probably be more of a truth is that if you finish in the bottom two on a seasonal basis then sooner rather than later you are going down - that's something everyone, including the DFC Board, should consider even if we manage to stay up. 

Taking a look at the remaining eight fixtures there are only three that I think are realistically winnable, and with East Fife having revived recently we could well be avoiding the play-offs but not in a good way.