Sons' sorrow

9 games left.  5 home, 4 away.

I have absolutely no confidence in Faz keeping us up. The Dundee game was a sign that we can play better than we have been, but too many players just aren't doing it. Boyle is finished and has been all season. We lose far too many goals down our left side. Stanger isn't going to be a big player for us at right back. The midfield lacks creativity and we don't trust our only creative midfielder. We don't get enough from our wide players and we don't score enough goals.

Unfortunately its difficult to see somebody coming in and improving us between now and the end of April. 

We're left hoping that Farrell can somehow  get results from somewhere to give us a fighting chance. If we're still in things going into the Clyde game at home on the last day of the season then we'll have found results from somewhere. Difficult to see what improves though. Where would we get another manager to come in with 9 games left and get the improvements we need to have a fighting chance of staying up?

Farrel has to go . Why should we be any different from anyone else .its a results driven game. He has lost the dressing room. Players aren't playing for him at all . It's time to begin rebuilding for next season no matter what league we're in . The last two games have been massive for us and ended up poor. 

Fan numbers are down at home  and for the first time today it has been evident the away crowds have fallen too . Struggling to get a supporters bus  away compared to last season  and the large number of away fans who travel by other means have fallen too . 

Too late to change the manager and make a difference now. A thorough review is required at the end of the season. In the mix should be the fact that league 1, if we somehow stay up, will be even tougher next season. If we’re in league 2 is there sufficient confidence in the current manager keeping us safely away from the trap door into lowland league. 

1 hour ago, OKsons2020 said:

Farrel has to go . Why should we be any different from anyone else .its a results driven game. He has lost the dressing room. Players aren't playing for him at all . It's time to begin rebuilding for next season no matter what league we're in . The last two games have been massive for us and ended up poor. 

Fan numbers are down at home  and for the first time today it has been evident the away crowds have fallen too . Struggling to get a supporters bus  away compared to last season  and the large number of away fans who travel by other means have fallen too . 

I think players are playing for him, just in the wrong positions more often than not.

And that is down to Farrell's bizarre team selections.

We had a good, noisy home crowd last week v alloa, nearly 700, outwith hosting Falkirk/Dundee in the Cup at the rock, that's been our best home attendance this season, two weeks ago we took about 200 through to Clyde.

At Peterhead today it was the usual number for a long trip, 50-80 fans.

As for supporters buses last season........well there weren't any.

2 hours ago, OKsons2020 said:

Yeah I don't think he has lost the dressing room at all. A mixture of terrible decision making (individual players and team selection from the manager) inconsistency and simply not being good enough (that is the managers fault but not him lost the dressing room). He doesn't select the best players in the right positions but I still think the players are playing for him.

Your point about fan numbers is just absolutely bizarre and inaccurate. Peterhead is a hell of a journey and we never take mass amounts up to Balmoor. Attendances have risen since the start of the year, I think, with the re-emergence of the young sons in large numbers. The buses have struggled since they started trying to run them again this season. I reckon that is a lot down to COVID and perhaps down to finance in many cases too.

My personal circumstances have changed and I can't commit to away days like I used to, for various reasons, but I regularly buy the stream and watch along at home.

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

9 games left.  5 home, 4 away.

I have absolutely no confidence in Faz keeping us up. The Dundee game was a sign that we can play better than we have been, but too many players just aren't doing it. Boyle is finished and has been all season. We lose far too many goals down our left side. Stanger isn't going to be a big player for us at right back. The midfield lacks creativity and we don't trust our only creative midfielder. We don't get enough from our wide players and we don't score enough goals.

Unfortunately its difficult to see somebody coming in and improving us between now and the end of April. 

We're left hoping that Farrell can somehow  get results from somewhere to give us a fighting chance. If we're still in things going into the Clyde game at home on the last day of the season then we'll have found results from somewhere. Difficult to see what improves though. Where would we get another manager to come in with 9 games left and get the improvements we need to have a fighting chance of staying up?

Alloa managed to get a manager.

I find Farrell’s team selections absolutely bizarre when he has injuries to contend with. It’s not like we don’t have players to cover certain positions but he just point blank refuses to use them. He’d rather shoehorn centre backs into right back and move our right back into midfield instead of just keeping the right back where he is and slotting Orsi/McKee/Wilson in. When we were missing a central midfielder last week he put a young defender into midfield.

I’ve said it before - McKee, Wilson or Orsi haven’t exactly been great this season but they aren’t terrible players at this level. I’d much rather see a couple of them slot in to more natural positions than have us shunt all these defenders around the place. I’d also far rather one of them starting over Boyle, even if it means moving Wylde back there. McKee’s set pieces alone can win us games.

Quite why these guys were deemed good enough to get handed two year contracts 6 months ago but now they can’t even get a sniff of a game is absolutely beyond me. 

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Alloa have significantly more money than we do.

What would it cost to sack Farrell? Three months wages? 

If we can’t afford to fork that out then we’re in bother. It doesn’t require breaking the bank to replace the gaffer which should have been done long before now.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If we can’t afford to fork that out then we’re in bother. It doesn’t require breaking the bank to replace the gaffer which should have been done long before now.

I think we missed the chance to sack him. Think it’s too late now.

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Think he also signed a 2 year deal if I'm not mistaken?

I wasn’t at the game today but bought the stream and was so confused. We played better attacking football with less men on the park. Fair enough the wind didn’t help with the early goal(s) but why o why do we insist on the long ball against the wind? Anyway my point is, it wasn’t clear on the feed whether the sending off were justified or is lambie a Morton fan? 

Managers always seem to either play players out of position or stick with their favourites regardless of form. It seems to happen at every club but always baffles me. We've even had this issue when both Aitken and Duffy played Hutton every single week even though he had more bad games than good in his first two seasons. Farrell playing guys out of position is frustrating but it seems to be what managers do unfortunately.

As for Alloa, they wouldn't have paid Ferguson anything since he "resigned" and wouldn't have had any compensation to pay for Rice since he wasn't working in a football sense. As BBPF says, we'd probably only have to pay Farrell three months pay if we sacked him and there are always options for a replacement.

4 minutes ago, microdave said:

Managers always seem to either play players out of position or stick with their favourites regardless of form. It seems to happen at every club but always baffles me. We've even had this issue when both Aitken and Duffy played Hutton every single week even though he had more bad games than good in his first two seasons. Farrell playing guys out of position is frustrating but it seems to be what managers do unfortunately.

As for Alloa, they wouldn't have paid Ferguson anything since he "resigned" and wouldn't have had any compensation to pay for Rice since he wasn't working in a football sense. As BBPF says, we'd probably only have to pay Farrell three months pay if we sacked him and there are always options for a replacement.

Checked back on the website and it definitely says he signed a 2 year deal so maybe not quite so easy as that.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

And bring in who?

Alloa could go out and bring in a proven guy like Brian Rice. Who are Dumbarton going to get?