Sons' sorrow

Quiz night was usually good when AG did it as an annual thing. Every week might be stretching it and who knows who'll be running it? Generally ok though.

Rock comedy nights are typically very good.

Reality is that most of these events aren't really for us. They're not aimed at the Sons regulars. They're aimed at the wider local population who may find that after 2 years of lockdown, they quite like the idea of going out socially again and that they'd go along to local events. If it brings money into the club then I'm fine with it. I have no interest in going to see a drag act, but if it brings 100+ people into the club, they spend money at the bar and we get a cut of ticket and booze sales then job done. I'd just hope that we were getting a decent cut. The club needs to bring in more income. I'd love that to be done through increased crowds and through events that were my kind of thing. I think you could get some very good bands/artists to play at the stadium for a price that would make us some money - If we had the PA set-up and I knew where to start then i'd be booking via Louden Temple over in Brookfield because he gets some brilliant Americana acts to play over here. There's a great promoter in Glasgow who works under the Fallen Angels Club banner - puts on really great gigs that attract a decent crowd at a price and profit that makes his business viable.

Small clubs need to find new ways to bring in money. Strangely this isnt even a new idea - junior football clubs used to make a lot of their cash through their social clubs.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

22 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Quiz night was usually good when AG did it as an annual thing. Every week might be stretching it and who knows who'll be running it? Generally ok though.

Reality is that most of these events aren't really for us. They're not aimed at the Sons regulars. They're aimed at the wider local population who may find that after 2 years of lockdown, they quite like the idea of going out socially again and that they'd go along to local events. If it brings money into the club then I'm fine with it. I have no interest in going to see a drag act, but if it brings 100+ people into the club, they spend money at the bar and we get a cut of ticket and booze sales then job done. I'd just hope that we were getting a decent cut. The club needs to bring in more income. I'd love that to be done through increased crowds and through events that were my kind of thing. I think you could get some very good bands/artists to play at the stadium for a price that would make us some money - If we had the PA set-up and I knew where to start then i'd be booking via Louden Temple over in Brookfield because he gets some brilliant Americana acts to play over here. There's a great promoter in Glasgow who works under the Fallen Angels Club banner - puts on really great gigs that attract a decent crowd at a price and profit that makes his business viable.

Small clubs need to find new ways to bring in money. Strangely this isnt even a new idea - junior football clubs used to make a lot of their cash through their social clubs.

Fully understand that we're widening the net here, I am just generally interested in how many Sons fans fancy those events. In my experience of fund raising type events like these is that it's always the same people who turn up, so I understand attempting to broaden the audience with different acts. My worry is there's absolutely nothing there for a younger audience. The drag night might pull in a few as it's currently an "in" thing among women but the rest of it seems quite outdated to me (Abba tribute nights, Summer Ball, 80s nights). All of these things are aimed at one generation of people, other than the Comedy night there is nothing aimed at a younger audience. If we've done our local research and found out that this is the type of stuff the people of Dumbarton flock to then fair enough, I just have my doubts it'll bring in any sort of decent income for the club, especially as it is now outsourced. 

Fully understand that we're widening the net here, I am just generally interested in how many Sons fans fancy those events. In my experience of fund raising type events like these is that it's always the same people who turn up, so I understand attempting to broaden the audience with different acts. My worry is there's absolutely nothing there for a younger audience. The drag night might pull in a few as it's currently an "in" thing among women but the rest of it seems quite outdated to me (Abba tribute nights, Summer Ball, 80s nights). All of these things are aimed at one generation of people, other than the Comedy night there is nothing aimed at a younger audience. If we've done our local research and found out that this is the type of stuff the people of Dumbarton flock to then fair enough, I just have my doubts it'll bring in any sort of decent income for the club, especially as it is now outsourced. 

So what would you put on for a younger audience?

19 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

So what would you put on for a younger audience?

The odd gig with perhaps some current music rather than tributes to pop acts from the 80s would take my fancy. I'd enjoy some type of "night/dinner with..." events, I see other clubs, even amateur clubs, putting on these type of things with excellent guests so no reason we can't. As I've said, if all these events are a success then I'll be very happy and I don't mean to be taking shots at the current planned acts, it was just a concern that younger folk probably take one look at that list and never look at it again.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Quick question for Sons fans - how many events listed on this page take your interest?

https://www.rockyouevents.com/events

Those events are, in the main, tragic.

There was a Freddie mercury impersonator guy in the bar at the Dundee game. I've never downed a pint so fast in all my life. Horrendous. And I've no idea why he was there either.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

There was a Freddie mercury impersonator guy in the bar at the Dundee game. I've never downed a pint so fast in all my life. Horrendous. And I've no idea why he was there either.

As I understand it the event nights are delivered by Rock You Events who are a local company. They have the contract with the club to deliver social events at the stadium. Rock You Events also is a booking agent for some of the acts listed to perform at the stadium. The guy who owns the business is also a well known Freddy Mercury tribute act.  
I imagine he hopes to make the event nights popular within the wider community rather than them being sons fan  nights. 
Genuinely good luck to him….. if he succeeds we get income from our facilities which, to my mind, are under utilised. 

Just spoke to my misses she love ru Paul so I’ll be taking her to the drag act one queen one interests me

15 minutes ago, Robertsons said:

As I understand it the event nights are delivered by Rock You Events who are a local company. They have the contract with the club to deliver social events at the stadium. Rock You Events also is a booking agent for some of the acts listed to perform at the stadium. The guy who owns the business is also a well known Freddy Mercury tribute act.  
I imagine he hopes to make the event nights popular within the wider community rather than them being sons fan  nights. 
Genuinely good luck to him….. if he succeeds we get income from our facilities which, to my mind, are under utilised. 

So the guy delivering all these cringeworthy old lady night out type acts is actually the aforementioned dreadful queen impersonator? Well that makes sense I suppose, certainly the type of shite "entertainment" he's hosting is on par with his own act.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

So the guy delivering all these cringeworthy old lady night out type acts is actually the aforementioned dreadful queen impersonator? Well that makes sense I suppose, certainly the type of shite "entertainment" he's hosting is on par with his own act.

Your opinion and each to their own etc . My point in posting was to say I’m in favour of someone having a go because if he succeeds it’s potentially a win win for club finances. 

16 minutes ago, Robertsons said:

Your opinion and each to their own etc . My point in posting was to say I’m in favour of someone having a go because if he succeeds it’s potentially a win win for club finances. 

The more income the merrier, of course. Doesn't mean I need to like the fayre being offered.

Imo, nobody should try to impersonate Freddie. It will never be good enough but if folk are happy with that, fair enough.

17 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

The more income the merrier, of course. Doesn't mean I need to like the fayre being offered.

If the entertainment on offer isn’t for you, don’t buy a ticket. Personal insults against a guy who will be putting on various events that, if successful, will have a net benefit to the club are a bit uncalled for and not helpful.

If you have suggestions on what you’d like to see drop the club a message. I’m sure positive feedback would be welcomed.

Is anyone else slightly concerned by how many square pegs in round holes we appear to be operating with? Don’t get me wrong, the likes of McKee, Wilson and Orsi haven’t been turning in performances that would have you making strong arguments for them to start but these are guys who we know can be good on their day. Why are we starting a loanee defender in central midfield when one of our big summer signings, who’s on a two year deal, is sitting on the bench? Farrell has just completely frozen these guys out IMHO. Even our two strikers just now are natural wingers, with MacLean himself admitting it has been tough to adapt to the role. Our team yesterday had arguably 6 players playing out of their natural position. I like MacLean playing through the middle and I do think he’s effective there so you could probably discount him from the list, but even he is still trying to learn his new role.

Wilson and McKee are clearly confidence players and it’s down to Farrell to get the best out of them. Both of them (and Orsi) are signed up for next season. Wilson was a previous player of the month, McKee previously bagged double figure assists for us. Why can’t we find a way of getting these guys back to form and at least utilising them in their natural position when we have injuries? Is playing defenders all over the place really a better option? I mean started with 3 defenders in midfield yesterday!

I see that Cove Rangers have a sportsmans dinner with Alex Ferguson, Alex McLeish and Dick Campbell booked as speakers. I’d love to see us organise something along the lines of this. I’ve been to a few over the years (never a DFC one FWIW) and they are always very well attended. 

I can understand why some Sons fans are frustrated about the lack of social events that appeal to the average football punter. I’m all for the club making money through other avenues but it’s nice to have an event now and again that appeals to our supporters, such as the event the supporters team have organised.   If a drag night or a Queen tribute brings in money I’m all for it but it would be good to see the odd night organised that appeals to the core support.

Get Richard Campbell booked and they will come.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see that Cove Rangers have a sportsmans dinner with Alex Ferguson, Alex McLeish and Dick Campbell booked as speakers. I’d love to see us organise something along the lines of this. I’ve been to a few over the years (never a DFC one FWIW) and they are always very well attended. 

I can understand why some Sons fans are frustrated about the lack of social events that appeal to the average football punter. I’m all for the club making money through other avenues but it’s nice to have an event now and again that appeals to our supporters, such as the event the supporters team have organised.   If a drag night or a Queen tribute brings in money I’m all for it but it would be good to see the odd night organised that appeals to the core support.

Get Richard Campbell booked and they will come.

Something like this with Murdo McLeod, Owen coyle and an ally McCoist would be decent