Sons' sorrow

Yes we do.
We need to pay his full contract or convince him to accept a lower settlement.
Managers at our level will have severance pay of three months max. I thought that was pretty well known. Otherwise not one lower league team would be able to get rid of an under performing manager.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

And bring in who?

Alloa could go out and bring in a proven guy like Brian Rice. Who are Dumbarton going to get?

Brian Rice is hardly hot property, hence why he’s managing Alloa at the arse end of League 1. I’m not even convinced I’d want Brian Rice but he’d certainly be a better option than what we have. 

You said all this same stuff before we sacked Aitken and replaced him with Jim Duffy. Do you think we paid Aitken’s full contract up? Not a chance. We’d easily be able to sack Farrell but I wouldn’t trust the board one bit to replace him with anyone better and as folk have touched on it’s too late. We should’ve done it months ago.

Just now, Robertsons said:

Too late now to change for me this season. 
I do think there’s questions to be asked about the way we appoint managers. Who at board level  makes these decisions and is our appointment process getting the best we can achieve. 

To be fair, based on this thread, there weren't a lot of dissenting opinions to Faz when he was appointed. 

2 hours ago, microdave said:

Managers at our level will have severance pay of three months max. I thought that was pretty well known. Otherwise not one lower league team would be able to get rid of an under performing manager.

If he has a contractual notice period then we can potentially invoke it and pay him under the terms of the contract. If he doesnt then legally he's entitled to his whole contract being paid unless he's dismissed for gross misconduct.

He may well have agreed some kind of termination clause. Can't assume that though. Managers at our level usually sign single year or rolling contracts that limit the amount of contractual termination pay they're due. If he signed a straight up 2 year deal then he''s due another year of pay.

We've conceded the most goals in Scotland. That comes from players not being well drilled. Coaches have to look at that. Combined with our yellows and reds it does not make for good reading.

I was happy with Faz being appointed and he seems a nice guy but something has to give. The performances have not been consistent or good enough. Selections seem to be pulled from a lucky bag. 

58 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

Taking a look at the remaining fixtures I simply can't see it.  

I’m oversimplifying things, perhaps, but the Peterhead games alone have been the difference between the bad playoffs and the good ones.

We’re such an infuriating team. I really don’t think we’re that bad, but as others have said, I think the blame lies with the management.

Despite feeling hopeless in the heat of the moment today, I reckon we can stay up.

Edited by FifeSons

11 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

To be fair, based on this thread, there weren't a lot of dissenting opinions to Faz when he was appointed. 

On 29/05/2021 at 16:15, FifeSons said:

Get your red dots at the ready, folks... I don’t think this is a particularly great appointment.

Couldn’t hope more to be proven wrong, though!

Still waiting to be proven wrong!

Edited by FifeSons

I didn’t really like the Faz appointment because I felt he hadn’t really done anything to prove he deserved the job. Also, perhaps unfairly, I’ve always seen him as a Stevie Aitken disciple. A nice guy, that ultimately doesn’t deserve to manage Dumbarton football club.

He took Stranraer down, and his side in the playoffs looked no better than the absolute shower we had under Duffy. Differences in budget aside, I didn’t think they looked like a better footballing side, or anything to make me think ‘I’d like their manager’.

There’s always chat about the ownership situation and how we’re lucky to have an SPFL club and therefore the manager should be immune from criticism; as if we’re operating on a budget akin to East Stirling at their worst.

I just don’t buy that. There is no reason other than management as to why we aren’t a contender in this league.

All of this said, would I sack him now? No. I think that time has past, and our chips are all in on Faz now.

Edited by FifeSons

Faz got the job cause he talks a good game and previously had a good working relationship with staff/volunteers/the board from his last spell.

Next time we appoint all of that shouldn't even be in the conversation.

The next gaffer can be a p***k to all of the above for all I care just as long as they're appointed on what they've done in the game and not just cause they get on with folk.

23 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

Faz got the job cause he talks a good game and previously had a good working relationship with staff/volunteers/the board from his last spell.

Makes me think his job is safe for the remainder of his contract. I was happy with Faz at the time and delighted with him after the first quarter, but I think he lost some of the dressing room after that (moving guys like Geggan on, who were supposed to be the "winning mentality" in there suggests not all was well to me). A slight upturn since January had some feeling positive but we still don't look organised, it very much looks like 11 bodies selected and asked to go and play football, rather than a plan being carried out. Young boys not quite ready for first team football are being preferred out of position over experienced players like McKee and the one bright spark in Calum Wilson this season appears to have had all confidence drained from him. It doesn't scream good management to me and there are going to be some difficult conversations in regards some 2 year deals which were handed out.

There's been comparisons between him and Aitken but I think on all evidence so far the biggest mistake they both made was going their separate ways. Aitken lost sight of what he was good at when Faz left and Faz has struggled to get his teams playing as well as he talks. Perhaps they'd still be in charge of us as a team, or further up the pyramids as their record together was good. 

The more I look at our form and our goals and against column, the more I think we're Albion Rovers of 2017/18. They scored more goals than Alloa (who defeated us in the playoffs) yet were relegated.

Clyde are well above us because they can grind out draws when they aren't playing well. Dare I say that's the case for most teams above us too. With us it's win or bust. We haven't drawn enough games this season. And I fear that's going to be the reason we end up in League Two. 

I've said in a few occasions this season and once again yesterday. We have had far too many almost results and not enough where we actually got a point or 3. On many cases we have felt hard done by or unlucky or we almost pulled level but not quite. This will ultimately relegate us unless we have a huge upturn in form.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The more I look at our form and our goals and against column, the more I think we're Albion Rovers of 2017/18. They scored more goals than Alloa (who defeated us in the playoffs) yet were relegated.

Clyde are well above us because they can grind out draws when they aren't playing well. Dare I say that's the case for most teams above us too. With us it's win or bust. We haven't drawn enough games this season. And I fear that's going to be the reason we end up in League Two. 

Fair point. 4th place Queens Park have only won, like us, 7 games but have drawn 15 matches. But they’re a far better side than we are and have the 3rd best goals against tally…..half the number we’ve conceded. 

20 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I've said in a few occasions this season and once again yesterday. We have had far too many almost results and not enough where we actually got a point or 3. On many cases we have felt hard done by or unlucky or we almost pulled level but not quite. This will ultimately relegate us unless we have a huge upturn in form.

Can you give us some examples of games in which we were hard done by or unlucky, because I'm struggling to recall many ?