Sons' sorrow

59 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I hear big Iain's in the scrap metal trade these days 

But, yes there's no reason why it couldn't be a decent local, small, live music venue on Fri/Sat nights, live football on tv Sundays & close Mon-Thurs.

Pubs do make money ,no doubt ,but if its only operting 3 days it would need to be really busy to cover the overheads etc It might turn a profit but might not be worth it in the long run. Since covid many pubs have been struggling as people stay at home with carry out food , a few beers from thr fridge and watch netflix etc.Also price of a pint now is not cheap .

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

Pubs do make money ,no doubt ,but if its only operting 3 days it would need to be really busy to cover the overheads etc It might turn a profit but might not be worth it in the long run. Since covid many pubs have been struggling as people stay at home with carry out food , a few beers from thr fridge and watch netflix etc.Also price of a pint now is not cheap .

A lot of places are doing reduced opening hours. If they have a regular daytime crowd then they'll open during the day but close early. If its a regular evening crowd then there's no point opening at 11:00 and having to pay wages and utility costs for hours. Even up in Glasgow. Was in The State Bar before and after a gig in the city centre a few months ago. Group of us who meet up at gigs wanted to go for a few after the show. We made it to the pub about 10:20 and got 1 round in. Bar called last orders at 10:30 and were basically kicking us out before 11.

Most places are struggling these days.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

A lot of places are doing reduced opening hours. If they have a regular daytime crowd then they'll open during the day but close early. If its a regular evening crowd then there's no point opening at 11:00 and having to pay wages and utility costs for hours. Even up in Glasgow. Was in The State Bar before and after a gig in the city centre a few months ago. Group of us who meet up at gigs wanted to go for a few after the show. We made it to the pub about 10:20 and got 1 round in. Bar called last orders at 10:30 and were basically kicking us out before 11.

Most places are struggling these days.

Very true indeed.I suppose some bars can work the way you say while for  others its just ever decreasing circles.

Sad state of affairs.

If the Stags closes it would be shite from a personal point of view but the club really should see it as an opportunity. If there's no Stags the only competition for a pre and post match beer is the RBC. With some clever marketing (and a willingness to accommodate smokers) they could see a good crowd down the stadium on a Saturday. 

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If the Stags closes it would be shite from a personal point of view but the club really should see it as an opportunity. If there's no Stags the only competition for a pre and post match beer is the RBC. With some clever marketing (and a willingness to accommodate smokers) they could see a good crowd down the stadium on a Saturday. 

Fair point Moonster, but it will only happen if Jack Brough and whoever is running the bar takes the lead and advertises the opportunity to visiting fans, especially on these forums.

Leave the club to entertain the hospitality guests.

Tried to pre-order our new home shirt & DumbartonDirect site just shows a blank page for Glasgow City fc.

Even the link from our DFC website brings up the same

Lol

Edit - the link from DFC facebook seems to work correctly.

snapshot_dumbartondirect.co.uk_1688634903105.png

Edited by Silverton End

15 hours ago, ScottishD81 said:

nice mate where u travelling from? will try make that one if possible

London. Hopefully I can make it more regularly to games this season, because I don't work weekends anymore. Plus the cost of a plane ticket was about the same as if I wanted to catch a game down here at the bridge.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

London. Hopefully I can make it more regularly to games this season, because I don't work weekends anymore. Plus the cost of a plane ticket was about the same as if I wanted to catch a game down here at the bridge.

I take it you only follow clubs owned by chancers ?

Neill Collins is an absolutely top guy and I hope he's a big success down at Barnsley. He's certainly had a solid apprenticeship in the US.

During Covid he was right at the top of my 'to interview' list. I emailed Tampa Bay Rowdies on a Monday afternoon after we got the paper away. About four hours later I had a response from Neill's personal email, with his number and saying to give him a bell on Whatsapp whenever I wanted. We genuinely spent about 45 minutes chatting away the next day; first about his time with us, then Roy Keane, Mick McCarthy, Neil Warnock (obvs). His time with Wolves and the Blades. His disappointment at never earning a Scotland cap or playing for Kilmarnock. Life in the US, how Sons were doing at that point in time and how the seasons in the Championship were.

He was genuinely interested in how the club were getting on, and couldn't have been any more open or honest. That was three and a bit years ago now, and he's still up there with one of the most engaging people I've interviewed.

Probably should've put these here:

Looking back on his time with us - Clicky

And Queen's Park - Clicky

Edited by Jan Vojáček

20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Neill Collins is an absolutely top guy and I hope he's a big success down at Barnsley. He's certainly had a solid apprenticeship in the US.

During Covid he was right at the top of my 'to interview' list. I emailed Tampa Bay Rowdies on a Monday afternoon after we got the paper away. About four hours later I had a response from Neill's personal email, with his number and saying to give him a bell on Whatsapp whenever I wanted. We genuinely spent about 45 minutes chatting away the next day; first about his time with us, then Roy Keane, Mick McCarthy, Neil Warnock (obvs). His time with Wolves and the Blades. His disappointment at never earning a Scotland cap or playing for Kilmarnock. Life in the US, how Sons were doing at that point in time and how the seasons in the Championship were.

He was genuinely interested in how the club were getting on, and couldn't have been any more open or honest. That was three and a bit years ago now, and he's still up there with one of the most engaging people I've interviewed.

Absolutely delighted for him and I wish him every success with the Tykes.  Potentially the most notable Scot to pitch up at Oakwell since cult idol Ronnie Glavin.

12 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Yeah £21 Bristol to Glasgow mad lol 

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I see big Bobby Jones is on trial at Alloa Athletic. I did not see that one coming.

I generally don't care what players get up to when they leave us and understand that some players work in places and don't work in others but I cannot fathom how Jones has league clubs still looking at him. 

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Where do our u20s play their fixtures?

I assume, going by u-18s fixtures last season, who they have taken over from, it will be East End park. Don’t quote me on that tho as I’m not sure if that gets used on a Friday night already. Vale play at Argyll so won’t be there and can’t imagine one of the schools opening on a Friday to accommodate them so seems the only logical place tbh.