Sons' sorrow

On 19/08/2023 at 19:02, Rock Bottom said:

Maybe Faz ain’t the problem 🫣

I’ll keep being fair. He deserved the criticism so gets the praise.

I was worried before today he might return to default and try to start off tight away from home but the team was clearly set up and sent out to follow on from last week.

we will blow a few sides away this season playing like that 

On 25/08/2023 at 07:55, The Moonster said:

Have the club sacked the YouTube channel, or is there a new one? Nothing uploaded since last season, not even a manager interview.

Was wondering this, Dumbarton used to have the best highlights in the lower leagues, now even on the SPFL round-up they look really poor compared to a number of others.

7 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Was wondering this, Dumbarton used to have the best highlights in the lower leagues, now even on the SPFL round-up they look really poor compared to a number of others.

We've not had anyone doing properly filmed highlights since (I think) the start of 2019. The previous guy chucked it, nothing happened for a wee while and then Covid hit. Since then we've had the odd game put up that was filmed on Pixellot, but no proper highlights.

I guess it's just a lack of manpower really. If I was still at Uni then I wouldn't have minded giving it a shot, but I just don't have the time. And everyone else who has been involved with media (from @GoTeamGaz the pioneer of SonsTV and video highlights back in 2008/09!) have all drifted away or found life get in the way.

It's something I miss massively. When I come to power I'm going to sign @LeodhasXD on a lucrative contract to sort out our highlights.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's something I miss massively. When I come to power I'm going to sign @LeodhasXD on a lucrative contract to sort out our highlights.

I'll do a video at some point on how I do mine just now. Our football's been hard to watch for most of this campaign so it'll give me something to take my mind off it.

Don't know if you have any relationship with the people that run the club day to day anymore....When you end up with postponed midweek games there's probably a fair possibility I could do them - I have toyed with the idea of making a platform of my own to stream random games on.

22 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Well look who's gone top, that's better.  Rock on Dumbarton.

Binos have adjusted well to L1 so far.3 wins out of 4.You probably would settle for 8th this year but I have an inkling Binos fans will be secretly be hoping for 4th and a play-off.Definitely doable..you have a decent squad and I think a really good manager .The problem will be that any kind of success will have the vultures circling for players and manager.

Really do wish the Binos all the best for this season.

17 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Binos have adjusted well to L1 so far.3 wins out of 4.You probably would settle for 8th this year but I have an inkling Binos fans will be secretly be hoping for 4th and a play-off.Definitely doable..you have a decent squad and I think a really good manager .The problem will be that any kind of success will have the vultures circling for players and manager.

Really do wish the Binos all the best for this season.

Kind of you Lorenzo. I can only speak for myself.  I have no idea where this is going.  Apart from getting blown away at Falkirk we've been solid enough, but the goals are a lot harder to come by for us in league 1.  We've just lost Paul Mclean for at least 5 weeks as his appendix has to come out. I wouldn't bet on top 4 on 4 early results mate, our squad is a tad thin in defence to handle much in the way of injuries.

This thread is about the sons though, not us.  Delighted to see you banging goals in. I hope that's  a sign of great things to come for you this season.  Cheering for you all the way.

In Helensburgh today and picked up an Advertiser and saw they weren’t carrying any Dumbarton content anymore.

I’m sure this didn’t used to be the case?

Anyone know why they have stopped ( assuming i’m not mistaken in the first place, which is always possible!)

Just now, standman said:

In Helensburgh today and picked up an Advertiser and saw they weren’t carrying any Dumbarton content anymore.

I’m sure this didn’t used to be the case?

Anyone know why they have stopped ( assuming i’m not mistaken in the first place, which is always possible!)

In my time at the Lennox (2015- present) I know the Advertiser would usually take the Reporter's DFC content when they needed stuff or didn't have enough from Helensburgh alone. So it was there most weeks, but not always. Or at least that's how I assumed they worked from the outside.

With the Reporter no-more in print (and being scaled back to a ridiculous degree online) Newsquest, who own both, might just not have any DFC content  to publish. So will just stick whatever is sent in from grassroots level in the print paper.

If you're looking for a paper with unrivalled* DFC coverage then the Lennox is your place ;)

Spoiler

Quite literally given the Reporter is no more.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In my time at the Lennox (2015- present) I know the Advertiser would usually take the Reporter's DFC content when they needed stuff or didn't have enough from Helensburgh alone. So it was there most weeks, but not always. Or at least that's how I assumed they worked from the outside.

With the Reporter no-more in print (and being scaled back to a ridiculous degree online) Newsquest, who own both, might just not have any DFC content  to publish. So will just stick whatever is sent in from grassroots level in the print paper.

If you're looking for a paper with unrivalled* DFC coverage then the Lennox is your place ;)

Hide contents

Quite literally given the Reporter is no more.

Cheers for the reply. It felt a shame as any presence in the press is a good thing for smaller clubs i feel.

We are very lucky in Inverclyde with the Greenock Telegraph providing Morton content every day.

3 minutes ago, standman said:

Cheers for the reply. It felt a shame as any presence in the press is a good thing for smaller clubs i feel.

We are very lucky in Inverclyde with the Greenock Telegraph providing Morton content every day.

I don't know if he's still involved but Roger Graham was a great football presence at the Telegraph, and a smashing bloke also.

3 minutes ago, standman said:

I'm obviously biased, but the way I look at it is that, in 50 years or so, there probably won't be online match reports from games years ago. Or interviews with players and management from the time. Even transfer news from my childhood 10-15 years ago can be hard to find outside of programmes.

I sat down with our club historian for a good few hours when we did a 150th anniversary pullout, and without newspapers there simply wouldn't have been any way of knowing teams or match reports from midweek games with Forfar or East Fife in 1907 or whatever! Huge gaps of the club history would simply have vanished.

Same goes for players. I've had a fair few players and their families ask me for papers so they can put them away. My Granda has a framed team photo from when his dad was playing juniors in the 30s, which is a cut out from a newspaper of the time. It would be a shame if we lost that.

As an aside, I notice tonight that Todd Cantwell has just done almost exactly what Carlo Pignatiello did on Saturday and hasn't been booked. I'll be watching those type of incidents like a hawk from now on to see how many referees are taking a no-nonsense/no common sense line.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm obviously biased, but the way I look at it is that, in 50 years or so, there probably won't be online match reports from games years ago. Or interviews with players and management from the time. Even transfer news from my childhood 10-15 years ago can be hard to find outside of programmes.

I sat down with our club historian for a good few hours when we did a 150th anniversary pullout, and without newspapers there simply wouldn't have been any way of knowing teams or match reports from midweek games with Forfar or East Fife in 1907 or whatever! Huge gaps of the club history would simply have vanished.

Same goes for players. I've had a fair few players and their families ask me for papers so they can put them away. My Granda has a framed team photo from when his dad was playing juniors in the 30s, which is a cut out from a newspaper of the time. It would be a shame if we lost that.

As an aside, I notice tonight that Todd Cantwell has just done almost exactly what Carlo Pignatiello did on Saturday and hasn't been booked. I'll be watching those type of incidents like a hawk from now on to see how many referees are taking a no-nonsense/no common sense line.

Cant Todwell couldn't lace Carlo's boots.