Sons' sorrow

That is an absolute disaster of an injury IMHO. 

Broun has shown he has some potential and has also shown he has some weaknesses but either way I’ll be astounded if he’s able to come in and do anything like the job Brett Long does for us. That’s no slight on him but I think even if he can’t step up we’ll be extremely lucky to find a keeper in January who single handedly keeps us in games and/or wins us points the way Long does. There really aren’t many keepers kicking around at this level who can consistently perform at his level and the very few who can are already tied down.

What a shite bit of luck.

And here was me worrying about Finlay Gray limping off last Saturday 🫣

This is a hammer blow, but especially to Brett Long and we wish him a full recovery.  Harry Broun knew the deal when he signed up but he's now entitled to his chance; we will though need another keeper and that needs to be a priority.

It’s a terrible blow for Brett and for us. Easily the best keeper in the league. We have been blessed in recent times with decent keepers and hopefully Harry Broun can step up and fill the boots. Can only imagine we will have the u-20 keeper on the bench for the foreseeable 

Aye that's gutting for Brett and for us as well. Broun is someone I've thought would be fine as a backup for a game but need to see how he does playing as the number 1 until January. Just need to hope someone gets released or available for loan elsewhere in the next few weeks unless De Gea fancies a change of scene

Edited by Clarko_son

2 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Saw Harry when he was playing as a trialist for us against Caledonian Braves and I’m confident he’ll be an able stand-in for Brett.

Sorry can’t share your optimism, Hope he proves me wrong, Longs injury is a major problem and could be the difference between a play off place or not.

Shame to lose Brett, as others have said he has kept us in games this season.

Having looked around in the summer, I think Harry will expect a chance to play now.  So any other goalie would be 2nd choice to him,  unless a very decent goalie became available. 

Eric Phillips will be registered as a trialist for Saturday Im sure.  Maybe even just for the bantz

I haven't seen as much of Broun as some others, but when I have seen him, he hasn't looked all that great. Rangers B last year where he conceded 7 and then the Kelty match this year where again, he could have done better.

Of course he'll be getting a shout as our starting 'keeper for now, but whether it stays that way depends on 2 things.

1. How he does when he gets these next few matches.

2. Who is available for us to take on. I would be assured if someone like the lad Kieran Wright from Rangers came in. He was decent, if a little raw first time around but must be 23 or so now? Unless I've missed something and he has signed up somewhere.

I know I'm being lazy and not looking it up but I'm ferociously replying in work whilst on nightshift.

It's a bit of a lottery who will be available though, so we will need to wait and see now.

I'll be honest, I didn't rate Kieran Wright at all. He could claim a cross, but an awful lot of shots seemed to go right through him. His indecision didn't exactly help us either, albeit he was in a team that conceded a genuinely ridiculous number of silly goals.

I saw that Aidan McAdams will be leaving Edinburgh City in their fire sale. If Brett is out for the season (which I imagine he will be, or near enough) then McAdams would be my shout if we could afford him and were after someone to take the No.1 shirt until the end of the year.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I saw that Aidan McAdams will be leaving Edinburgh City in their fire sale. If Brett is out for the season (which I imagine he will be, or near enough) then McAdams would be my shout if we could afford him and were after someone to take the No.1 shirt until the end of the year.

I thought Ramsbottom was still kicking about at Edinburgh but not playing. Didn't realise he's playing for Cape Town Spurs in the South African top flight, albeit unsuccessfully by what I can see on Twitter 

Just now, Clarko_son said:

I thought Ramsbottom was still kicking about at Edinburgh but not playing. Didn't realise he's playing for Cape Town Spurs in the South African top flight, albeit unsuccessfully by what I can see on Twitter 

At least he's no longer trying to pump my wife.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'll be honest, I didn't rate Kieran Wright at all. He could claim a cross, but an awful lot of shots seemed to go right through him. His indecision didn't exactly help us either, albeit he was in a team that conceded a genuinely ridiculous number of silly goals.

I'd agree to a certain extent. I thought he was very raw and looked like a young goalkeeper at the time. But he seems to have done okay since and made the bench a few times. Isn't he quite highly thought of at The Rangers?

I don't think we should go targeting him, specifically. He was just a suggestion of one that came to mind as an idea. There are probably much better and more realistic options out there. I just hope we don't bring someone in just for the sake of it. Would be nice to bring in someone as close to a replacement for Brett as possible.