Sons' sorrow

26 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I have no idea what our budget is but I’m struggling to see how it can be one of the better ones. Our owners put nothing in. Every other club will have directors who contribute. We have no shirt sponsors. Every other club does. Our crowds are not the best in the division. So if our budget is in line with our income how can we be one of the highest?

Most other clubs in this division are in a bit of a state off the park as well. Clyde didn't have a pot to piss in until an investor turned up after the season had begun. Bonnyrigg appear to be spending a chunk of income on infrastructure whilst perhaps scrimping a bit on the playing side. East Fife don't really have a much better ownership situation than ourselves. Elgin and Forfars boards both in a bit of dissarray. Peterhead will have a decent budget if not the biggest with guys like McAllister, Shanks and Pawlett on the books. Stenny will have a decent budget. Spartans seem well backed but their squad is more well drilled than it is expensive. I expect with the level of player we have at the club (and it's not a small squad) coupled with the staff we are paying (sports scientist for example) that we have a decent budget being spent. Good loans don't usually come free either and whilst we may have had some bemoaning of budget from the manager we have signed 2 good ones this month with some Hamilton fans even being surprised Newbury has been loaned out. 

I suppose the question should be - do we actually have the money we are spending or are the board making a mess of things?

Unless you're actually in the know then I understand it's all hearsay.

I think Peterhead probably have to pay a premuim given they're a million miles from civilization (Aberdeen isn't civilization).

I've also anecdotally heard Spartans players are on a decent wedge, which is impressive for a leisure centre with a footballing department.

Stenhousemuir clearly have some well paid players. We've re-signed a lot of the team on what will likely be slightly better terms. I've no doubt Buchanan and Darren Jamieson are well paid for the level but we have a squad of 18 players (maybe one more defensive player to come in). The average wage would have to be incredibly high to match Dumbarton's wage bill given the squad size. Obviously some of the The Rangers money has been invested early which is more than fair enough!

P.s. I was absolutely howling at reading some of their fans were buying half season tickets to secure tickets for the match. 

I do like Dumbarton. A proper football club with good fans. I hope all the behind the scenes shenanigans gets sorted out relatively soon.

I’ve just had a Father Dougal moment and woken up to remember the promise of the artificial pitch for next season. What are the chances that actually materialises?

Not very high in my opinion. Much more likely it’s never mentioned again and they hope the fans forgot about it.

image.gif.909339f22cc67bcef3923da665ed04fa.gif

Edited by FifeSons

8 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I have no idea what our budget is but I’m struggling to see how it can be one of the better ones. Our owners put nothing in. Every other club will have directors who contribute. We have no shirt sponsors. Every other club does. Our crowds are not the best in the division. So if our budget is in line with our income how can we be one of the highest?

Fair points, but I don’t think the playing squad reflects that. Durnan, Long, Carlo, R.Wallace, Ruth, Crighton, Shiels, Orsi, even Gray, won’t be on peanuts.

Edited by FifeSons

This is an interesting one for the first and second halves of last season. Particularly that Stirling basically didn't improve in the second half of the season. They just remained consistent. At the time it definitely felt like they were putting on a Stenny-esque run (I think they did go on a long unbeaten run tbf, but with plenty of draws).

image.png.cc00003d3a0046c13e46a817b50db7ab.png

image.png.d596243fee1734cb695e3c670fda0388.png

Edited by FifeSons

Also, the 'good half/bad half' is a bit of a myth, in his first season. It was more like good quarter/bad three quarters...

We started well in the first 8 games, then after the 5-0 tanking at Peterhead, never recovered.

First 8

image.png.ce6f1b612605c7b5445c125a5fd605ff.png

First Half

image.png.dcc48a7c90447fbb80ba4b4f17ba4b90.png

Second Half

image.png.b645aec33559009f1c95cd1fcce40d83.png

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, Silverton End said:

snapshot_m.facebook.com_1705312331976.png

The fact that DFC is hosting this is interesting, and it suggests to me that it may take the opportunity to make a public plea to support the club, financially and otherwise.  I've absolutely no problem with that but as long as they also recognise that what happens off the park often reflects what's happening on it.

2 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

The fact that DFC is hosting this is interesting, and it suggests to me that it may take the opportunity to make a public plea to support the club, financially and otherwise.  I've absolutely no problem with that but as long as they also recognise that what happens off the park often reflects what's happening on it.

Quite strange, not sure what to make of it, very little details about what it's about.

7 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Quite strange, not sure what to make of it, very little details about what it's about.

As far as I know it's just a standard press conference to preview the Rangers game. The email says so and says that either Mark Durnan or Sean Crighton will be available for interview and pics.

Most big clubs hold pressers like this every week with the manager and a player. But obviously we wouldn't have much interest in that prior to a game with East Fife or Clyde. Whereas this is different.

It's a good way to get some publicity for the club in the national press ahead of a big game. But I don't see it as anything more than that. Especially given it's Faz in attendance and not the chairman/vice-chair who is available for interview.

14 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We better get the undersoil heating turned on or our big payday might be in danger. Saturday isn’t looking too braw either.

Heavy rain & wind forecast for Saturday.

Would like to believe all the stops would be pulled out to get the game on, but then again...... 

I think it was the recent 4-4 draw with Clyde, we had 4 (FOUR) Groundsmen on the pitch at half-time, no idea where they came from lol.

Edited by Silverton End

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Heavy rain & wind forecast for Saturday.

Would like to believe all the stops would be pulled out to get the game on, but then again...... 

I think it was the recent 4-4 draw with Clyde, we had 4 (FOUR) Groundsmen on the pitch at half-time, no idea where they came from lol.

Probably belong to Broomhill, with their massive crowds they must be able to afford them…………oh wait!