Sons' sorrow

33 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Our owners are huge Dumbarton fans so I imagine they will be unhappy at missing out last night.

Assume it was due to something like the guy who runs it couldn't make, but in that case, all it would've taken was a simple tweet to let us know.

Anyway, saved me a tenner, so they probably did me a favour.

Our results and performances have now dropped off alarmingly from the early part of the season and I'm not convinced that there's an uplift in form just about to happen - we don't now have Durnan, Long or Shiels around for a start.

And whilst we may well stagger into the playoffs then what ?  No form uplift would almost certainly mean League Two football again in August.

Then what ?  We've now sprung out of the traps two seasons running before the wheels came off.  Suppose we don't spring at all and the wheels are off early doors, we could easily find ourselves in the position of this coming Saturday's hosts.  And then what ?

Aye, it's a thought, is it not ?  And one I hope that whoever is in charge of football matters is acutely aware of.

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Our results and performances have now dropped off alarmingly from the early part of the season and I'm not convinced that there's an uplift in form just about to happen - we don't now have Durnan, Long or Shiels around for a start.

And whilst we may well stagger into the playoffs then what ?  No form uplift would almost certainly mean League Two football again in August.

Then what ?  We've now sprung out of the traps two seasons running before the wheels came off.  Suppose we don't spring at all and the wheels are off early doors, we could easily find ourselves in the position of this coming Saturday's hosts.  And then what ?

Aye, it's a thought, is it not ?  And one I hope that whoever is in charge of football matters is acutely aware of.

If we are in League 2 next season I fully expect more decline, mid-table or lower.

It does not matter who the manager signs as he is unable, over the course of a season to maintain a consistent title challenge.

As for who's in charge of football matters at DFC, I can't see anyone other than Stevie Farrell being in that role, what remains of our Board don't strike me as being 'fitba people'.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

On the present trajectory the best we could hope for is eighth.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's alarming how bad we actually are after new year and this is now the third year of it. 

If we'd had our form from January onwards last season across the whole season we'd have finished on 44 points. A much smaller sample size but this season we're less than a point a game since the new year. 

2 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Defending Farrell... You feeling alright? 

Right you, Faz was awful in his first season well before Hogmanay and I won’t stand by while people cruelly try to take that awful record away from him! #fazin #realfansclapfaz

Look how bad we were from that Peterhead game onwards. I’d actually forgotten it was quite that poor. The only wins being a fluke away at Alloa and against Sauchie (where I’m sure we struggled*?).

131CEA7A-EE2B-4EDB-B64B-3AAAD9BBC276.jpeg.9106e03d0b11978f3a7b647f8c741a3c.jpeg

6035B31B-D052-4111-AC70-BB74CF868516.jpeg.35714efd98f40e943e3df7758413e238.jpeg

25FC9E1D-6DF2-4109-A356-791BF7CFCFA2.jpeg.24ad1542c3e172add71c5452d740df1b.jpeg

Don’t worry Faz, I’ve got your back, I won’t let anyone try and say you were good up until the new year.

*yep I was right

FB91CA6E-D186-4A2A-88E0-7A68736B81DF.thumb.jpeg.ce780d58cc97a676897cfa1afd79dd90.jpeg

Edited by FifeSons

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I see that Johnstone Burgh progressed in the Scottish Junior Cup last Saturday by beating St Cadoc's 4-1 in a penalty shoot-out after a 3-3 draw.  If Harry Broun played then it seems he performed well in the shoot-out.

I don't know. St Cadoc's players may have blazed the ball over the bar or past the post.....

Watching Ian Murray interviewed on BBC Scotland after leading his side to a massive last minute win in the Championship title race 🥲 It’s almost too painful when you compare him to the absolute donkey we’ve got now.

35 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Watching Ian Murray interviewed on BBC Scotland after leading his side to a massive last minute win in the Championship title race 🥲 It’s almost too painful when you compare him to the absolute donkey we’ve got now.

Mental how that side also have 6 former sons in it too. What would you give to have Murray in charge and Sam Stanton & Lewis Vaughan in our team... 😭

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

He may not have been everyone’s cup of tea but his tactical know how was the best I’ve ever witnessed from a Sons gaffer. He set up his team based on his extensive knowledge of the opposition, in terms of personnel and tactics. Whilst it wasn’t pretty in the end up it was effective (he done what he had to do with the big teams we had in the league) and the man should be considered a god for what he done for Dumbarton FC. He also put the weirdos in their place when they asked him why he didn’t wave back at them. Build a statue of him and Paul McGinn atop Dumbarton Rock.

Compare that to The Bum - win a game and retain the same team and tactics until we lose, fling all the names in a tombola until we win again, keep playing the same team until we lose. Rinse and repeat. 

When Dr Death finally prescribes us with the fatal dose of opiates I’ll probably go full Aitken’s Army and just follow Ian Murray around.

Took in the u-20s game tonight vs the Vale. I don’t see any of them breaking into the 1st team anytime soon, and I include Luca Vata in that. The Vale are doing all the right things with youth development and there is a clear pathway to the 1st team (albeit at a much lower level) We took over a youth team, renamed them as our under 20s and have next to nothing feeding into it. We should be looking at the youth as a potential way to get some up and coming talents but we aren’t even the best or even 2nd best youth side in the area.

I see there is a proposal.from St Pats to take over the running of East End Park in a 10 year lease which WDC is recommending as a money saving measure.

That would be a potential blow to the current Dumbarton utd and Riverside teams that train and play on it.

This made me think what a demand there could be be for our own 5G at the Rock and get better tie ins with local youth football.

If only our board would apply for grants such as the £175,000 ear marked for development of East Park instead of kidding us on we need to build houses on our car park to fund it.

Edited by sons'r'us

Firstly I'd like to address the youth development situation  and future prospects. ... up the road at cbank they have a youth programme for 5 Yr old, all the way to first team in the way of an academy.  Not bad for a junior team .

Not only do they have  Holme park shared with yoker along with WDC , there are  plans to develop the playing pitches further at mountblow and making it a cbank academy facility . 

Why these Avenues are not being explored and if they are ,why don't we know about this.....?  

Holm Park is 4g and fully booked 24/7 bringing in revenue constantly and constantly.  

We're all on board apart from a minority ...we need a 4g pitch where we can  train , rent out to community teams and host grassroots fixtures enticing younger generations to be inspired playing in  Dumbarton Fc . 

It pains me to say it but I have a fixture this weekend  against our rivals at ochilview stadium at grass roots level and they , along with our team have an academy set up. Theirs being superior and pro youth . But the attraction for the younger playing in the stadium ,whilst the revenue is being fed back up the ladder   

Secondly if your still reading .... and thank you lol .

I mentioned at the beginning of farrells tenure ....he was full of this and that   however failed to deliver on all aspects . 

If we don't go up this year then he has to walk . How he's made it this far , were all amused . Again he's a union man , should be a politician  as they a talk shite! 

Blair malcolm / lennon / pignatello over Lynas ... do not understand at all .  Baffles me .  Findlay on the bench .....? Bizarre 

Sooner we get rid of that dead beat farrel the better ..... yes he's tied himself up in a contract ....also said that would happen as he's a fraud ..... but a good one at it . 

Thats my 2 bits worth . Not here to offend or fall out with anyone but we're nosing diving quicker than the HMS ........