Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Trying to find out who has access to this old club instagram account. Anyone have an idea? 

https://www.instagram.com/officialdumbartonfc?igsh=NDg2cnU3bmg2N2o4

I'm not 100% if he was the only one with access, but I think it was Donald Fullarton who ran that one. Certainly looking at the captions back, it reads like Donald too. 

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm not 100% if he was the only one with access, but I think it was Donald Fullarton who ran that one. Certainly looking at the captions back, it reads like Donald too. 

Ahh I wondered if that would be the case… fingers crossed someone else has access 

I think you can sometimes claim an account through instagram support in cases like this. Especially seeing as it is clearly an account for a football club and not a personal one. Might be worth a shot if you are desperate.

35 minutes ago, super-son said:

I think you can sometimes claim an account through instagram support in cases like this. Especially seeing as it is clearly an account for a football club and not a personal one. Might be worth a shot if you are desperate.

That was my last resort card. Was hopeful someone had logins/could reset a PW and we get in quickly. I have a lead so fingers crossed 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Do the club not have a more current Instagram page that posts updates fairly regularly/daily?

It does but similar to LinkedIn if you use the search you get the old and new page. LinkedIn access is now sorted and this is next on the list.

Game day.

Most of us who were there will still have flashbacks from *that* game at Forthbank. 3-0 down after something like 11 minutes and we went on to lose heavily. We're a better team this season than we were last year. How much better? We'll find out at 4:50 this afternoon. If we go there trying to defend a 2-1 lead then I fear for us. We can't invite Stirling to attack us. Stirling score first and there's a big question over our mental toughness and how Farrell will react.

But despite some worries about Jay Hogarth dealing with crosses or with the ball at his feet, he's a fair enough shot stopper. Durnan and Crighton are seasoned campaigners. Lennon has improved for game time and both our right back options are reliable. Cian Newbury has emerged as a very good young player. Finlay Gray has played well this season and we;ve got  the reliable Tony Wallace and a couple of other options to support Michael Ruth, who is probably one of the best players in the league.. 

We can't go into today with any fear. We can't set ourselves up to try and shit-fest a 0-0 draw and scrape through to the final. There will be goals in today's game and we have to believe that we can come out on top. The Stevie Farrell play-off factor worries me massively and we can't afford for Faz to try to do Faz things today. We need to ignore Tuesday's result, ignore the fact that we're 2-1 up and just play today as if it was 0-0 and we've got the game to try to win. We have to believe that we're good enough. We have to show that we are.

On 11/04/2023 at 22:27, FifeSons said:

D76E967E-F4CE-4DD8-92C9-C279B80C273F.jpeg.dd2ffe4b8946392402f8e925810ba562.jpeg

Hope this wee guy is having a good night.

On 18/04/2023 at 23:51, DCismyhero said:

One single cross fell onto that lanky blonde boys dome late in the 2nd half. 

“Terrorised”. 

And one year on, it's Kalvin "The Terrorist" Orsi planting a perfect ball right on Jimmy "Jinky" Hiltons napper to send the Binos doon. Doon ye get wee baws.

Ainsley Harriott Biography - Facts, Childhood, Family Life & Achievements

We did well to overcome Stirling over two games, but we benefitted from our opponents being on a dreadful run of form and being virtually unable to take chances.

Spartans will be a whole different proposition and that makes me worried about our (in my opinion) one-dimensional tactical approach.  Getting ahead and holding onto a lead has been the norm for the last two seasons and it doesn't always work.  It also places a huge physical burden on the single striker due to a reticence to commit to attack.

With Hilton unavailable yesterday I would have opted for bringing in Aron Lynas at RB - he has returned to decent form of late - and pushing Carlo into midfield where he and Finley Grey can work to good effect, at Forfar for example.  Who knows, but the supporters viewing may have been less fraught.

If we are persisting down this road then I think we'll almost certainly need to establish a lead on Tuesday because we're not best suited for chasing down a result away from home.

13 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We did well to overcome Stirling over two games, but we benefitted from our opponents being on a dreadful run of form and being virtually unable to take chances.

Spartans will be a whole different proposition and that makes me worried about our (in my opinion) one-dimensional tactical approach.  Getting ahead and holding onto a lead has been the norm for the last two seasons and it doesn't always work.  It also places a huge physical burden on the single striker due to a reticence to commit to attack.

I think we managed the tie pretty well tbh, you can only beat whats infront of you and over the two legs we managed it. I certainly wouldn’t put it down to Stirling being shite vs us doing what we had to. 

The last time we travelled to Ainslie Park we dished out a scudding and over the last 10 league games we are both in similar form (probably slightly skewed with the resting of players before the playoffs etc). I’m far from expecting this to be easy but we have absolutely nothing to fear here. Up and at em tomorrow please Sons.

41 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think we managed the tie pretty well tbh, you can only beat whats infront of you and over the two legs we managed it. I certainly wouldn’t put it down to Stirling being shite vs us doing what we had to. 

The last time we travelled to Ainslie Park we dished out a scudding and over the last 10 league games we are both in similar form (probably slightly skewed with the resting of players before the playoffs etc). I’m far from expecting this to be easy but we have absolutely nothing to fear here. Up and at em tomorrow please Sons.

Aye, I felt this way too. In addition to what you say before, it is fair to say Spartans will fancy their chances off the back of a big result. But, however, I don't think we can treat their victory in the 2nd leg vs Peterhead in the same way as if they had beaten them during the league season like that. We all know that Peterhead were chasing the game to try get back into it and with nothing to lose, they have been picked off.

I'm not saying it's not impressive, but I'd be more impressed if it wasn't being treated as a "cup final" and that their opponents had nothing to lose by going all out. All the more reason for us to get ourselves a win in Tuesday night's first leg though...