Sons' sorrow

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Blair Malcolm, talk to me.

A bit gung ho and will pick up a few bookings. He'll do a fine enough job in League 2, but wasn't good enough to step up a division with us. Prone to the occasional howler which will cost you a goal here and there too. But, overall, there's a decent enough player in there.

ETA - he is also a pretty versatile option who can cover various positions.

Edited by squeezebox-son

9 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Are Forfar not full of defensive midfielders already? I hoped for more from him tbh, perhaps he just wasn't a good fit for us but I'd have thought Forfar had enough centre midfielders who rarely venture forward. 

8 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I think he's the sort of guy who would be a useful player for any League Two side. He's got a superb engine, is really high energy and will charge around the pitch from midfield winning tackles and generally being aggressive. Something you lot lacked last season imo.

He's fairly versatile and can play in defence, at left-back, as a six or even as an eight. Where he looked quite effective at Station Park a few months back. He did have a few howlers in defence when he was with us and I get the feeling he wasn't really trusted there afterwards.

The other downsides? Well he's not good at all at passing the ball. I lost count of how many times he'd do really well to aggressively break play up and win the ball back. Then play a 10 yard pass right to an opposition player. He can't really cross or do anything like that either. Pair him with a nice ball player and tell him to smash folk and give the ball to the nice guy immediately and he'll do a good job. He was a decent enough player for us on the whole and didn't ever hide or give less than 100%, just probably someone whose level is League Two.

33 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think he's the sort of guy who would be a useful player for any League Two side. He's got a superb engine, is really high energy and will charge around the pitch from midfield winning tackles and generally being aggressive. Something you lot lacked last season imo.

He's fairly versatile and can play in defence, at left-back, as a six or even as an eight. Where he looked quite effective at Station Park a few months back. He did have a few howlers in defence when he was with us and I get the feeling he wasn't really trusted there afterwards.

The other downsides? Well he's not good at all at passing the ball. I lost count of how many times he'd do really well to aggressively break play up and win the ball back. Then play a 10 yard pass right to an opposition player. He can't really cross or do anything like that either. Pair him with a nice ball player and tell him to smash folk and give the ball to the nice guy immediately and he'll do a good job. He was a decent enough player for us on the whole and didn't ever hide or give less than 100%, just probably someone whose level is League Two.

So , we have replaced Andy Munro with a versatile Andy Munro 

53 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I don’t like being too harsh on the guy but I really didn’t rate Malcolm at all. He had plenty of energy and can win a tackle but he’s prone to having a bit of a howler and technically he just wasn’t very good. I can’t remember a midfielder being so bad at completing a simple pass. He started off OK but it seems like he hadn’t had a decent game for months by the end of the season. He was one of the first on my release list.

He always looked pretty handy for Albion Rovers so he was maybe just one of those guys that has a bit of a shite spell at a certain club and will fit in better elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Mainly played midfield enforcer for us, but can also play LB, left of a back three and central defender. Relatively quick, very physical and will tackle and do the dirty work all day. He's a bit too keen to charge into tackles and can be hot headed. He's a very limited passer of the ball, but makes up for that with aggression and work rate. He's a useful player for L2. The kind of guy you want on your team making the opposition shite themselves and making your ball players look good, but who'll get booke and give the ball away at times also. The type who probably needs to be starting every week in a settled role in a settled team to see the best of him. A Kevin Nicol type in some ways.

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Mainly played midfield enforcer for us, but can also play LB, left of a back three and central defender. Relatively quick, very physical and will tackle and do the dirty work all day. He's a bit too keen to charge into tackles and can be hot headed. He's a very limited passer of the ball, but makes up for that with aggression and work rate. He's a useful player for L2. The kind of guy you want on your team making the opposition shite themselves and making your ball players look good, but who'll get booke and give the ball away at times also. The type who probably needs to be starting every week in a settled role in a settled team to see the best of him. A Kevin Nicol type in some ways.

Kevin Nicol was a fkn baller as well as being a big mad bad b*****d…

🥰

On 25/05/2024 at 14:07, Nowhereman said:

Talking of programmes I have virtually every away programme from mid 1970s up until 2012. For reasons of space I can’t keep them. A good few have been reserved so far but the majority are still available. I’m not looking for payment just want them to go to a good home. So if you have gaps in your collection pm me

Last chance if an anyone wants these programmes. Otherwise recycling beckons

Anyone forking out £135 for a round of golf at Gleddoch? I think it's a really good idea, one that I was ready to jump at until I read the details. Surely arranging it at the golf club in our own town would be better for community engagement? I also appreciate it's a fundraiser for the club but asking folk to get a team of 3 together to pool £400 for a course that I can tee off at tomorrow for £35 seems a bit OTT to me. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Anyone forking out £135 for a round of golf at Gleddoch? I think it's a really good idea, one that I was ready to jump at until I read the details. Surely arranging it at the golf club in our own town would be better for community engagement? I also appreciate it's a fundraiser for the club but asking folk to get a team of 3 together to pool £400 for a course that I can tee off at tomorrow for £35 seems a bit OTT to me. 

Golf is for arseholes.