Sons' sorrow

I'd suggest his manager completely overlooking him and signing 3 other goalkeepers to play in front of him (one being a youth from another side) will have more of an effect on him than a couple of fans saying they don't think he's good enough.

In fairness Lumsden is only 17 or 18 wheras Danny Rogers is 20 and has played first team football for Airdrie and for the Ireland U19s so in that respect he's far more experienced. Josh won't hit his peak for probably over another 10 years so for anyone to judge him now is a bit harsh.

I hope the lad Lumsden doesn't read what's said on here; being slated when he hasn't even played a competitive first team game is pretty harsh.

Being slated? All I've seen is a couple of folk stating they don't feel he's good enough.

If players don't want to see what fans opinions of them are then they shouldn't come on and read an open forum.

As Moonster said the fact he's 4th in the pecking order, behind a youth player from another team, will be far more detrimental to his confidence than folk stating he's not good enough on here.

In fairness Lumsden is only 17 or 18 wheras Danny Rogers is 20 and has played first team football for Airdrie and for the Ireland U19s so in that respect he's far more experienced. Josh won't hit his peak for probably over another 10 years so for anyone to judge him now is a bit harsh.

Fair enough, he's a young lad and doesn't have experience. What's the best way to gain experience?

If he's not good enough to throw into a match and gain experience then I'm sorry but thank him for his efforts and send him on his way. If he's not good enough, what are we doing giving him another deal? Especially when the U20's league is allowed 5 over age players, we could have used one of our other three keepers.

Fair enough, he's a young lad and doesn't have experience. What's the best way to gain experience?

If he's not good enough to throw into a match and gain experience then I'm sorry but thank him for his efforts and send him on his way. If he's not good enough, what are we doing giving him another deal? Especially when the U20's league is allowed 5 over age players, we could have used one of our other three keepers.

Surely by that logic having a youth policy becomes redundant. Plenty of youths arn't ready for first team experience but it's still worth keeping them for their potential.

Surely by that logic having a youth policy becomes redundant. Plenty of youths arn't ready for first team experience but it's still worth keeping them for their potential.

Yeah I get that but why has he been signed on first team contracts for 3 seasons now if he's not ready for the first team? I really don't want to turn this into a witch-hunt for the lad, I am more pointing out flaws the clubs youth policy than anything else. You keep lads that have good potential on youth contracts and when they're ready to step up you give them a first team contract.

At the end of the day, if your youth sides aren't producing players capable of playing in the first team (at least on a semi-regular basis) then you have to question whether having it is worthwhile or what we need to do to make it worthwhile, which would be my preferred option.

This is the exact same situation we were in a few seasons ago when we had Grindlay, Ewings, Gastal and a youth keeper. The way some people are going about it you'd think Ian Murray has committed the crime of the century. I also agree with FifeSons - the slagging of Lumsden won't do him any good.

This is the exact same situation we were in a few seasons ago when we had Grindlay, Ewings, Gastal and a youth keeper. The way some people are going about it you'd think Ian Murray has committed the crime of the century. I also agree with FifeSons - the slagging of Lumsden won't do him any good.

What slagging of Lumsden?

People are giving their opinions on one of our players, at no point has anyone slagged him. It's no different for Lumsden that it is for the likes of Ronald, Creaney, Phinn or Scott Smith.

Anyway I think the initial point has been lost in amongst all this and folk are taking the 'Lumsden doesn't look good enough' chat to heart. Moonster makes a very valid point about our youth system, it simply isn't producing the goods thus far. Whether that's down to Murray not giving them a chance or them not being good enough I don't know but it would be nice to see a couple of players do well. I'd have to agree that only success we've had from it so far has been Devlin.

Was that situation not brought on by injury?

No ones saying it's the crime of the century, we've said it's pointless signing 4 keepers when Murray will realistically only use two of them, three at a push if we're really unlucky. Is it wrong to suggest that our budget may have been used a bit better?

And if Josh, or any player for that matter, gets upset by a couple of comments on an internet forum then I suggest they get down the shop and buy a thicker skin. He'll take far more abuse the first time he misplaces a pass or flaps at a cross.

Who knows for sure that we were looking for a fourth keeper before Ewings got injured? I know there's still no number 1 jersey but I'm sure Grindlay never wanted number 1 last year despite getting it.

Got to love the Keyboard managers. Had a good chuckle to reading some of the post.

I don't see what the fuss is all about. As long as he sticks to his budget and we're winning games then who cares? Sign as many GK as you want.

Woman at the fish counter said Muzz is considering changing Grindlay from a 'keeper to a striker in an attempt to cover ourselves in all areas. Most folk think we could do with a new striker and Stephen has always wanted to play outfield. I hear he's quality at 5s from a few folk who have played with him!

Got to love the Keyboard managers. Had a good chuckle to reading some of the post.

I don't see what the fuss is all about. As long as he sticks to his budget and we're winning games then who cares? Sign as many GK as you want.

As long as they are of decent enough quality. We need a consistent reliable keeper and none of three already signed fit that bill, it will be a travesty if all the outfield team building is offset bycontinuing to leak rank bad goals, never mind cacking ourselves every time the opposition wins a corner.

So what are fans allowed to talk about then? Just so we know for future reference without being branded a 'key board warrior'.

Also, I'm not sure how making am entirely valid point about another team upsets fans so much. 'Why should a Cowden fan care!!1!1'.

Keyboard manager? Only giving an opinion on what's going on at the club.

Seem to get stick on here any time you've got a slight negative to bring to the table. We're doing brilliantly well and Murray is without doubt the best manager we've had since I've been following the club but that doesn't mean I need to blindly accept and agree with everything he does. I don't think any of the complaints are over the top or out of order, especially the youth system point.

Maybe it's worth looking at all this another way?

We scored plenty goals last year, but leaked almost as many.

We've brought in some quality defenders, now we need an extra goalie due to Jamie's injury.

Surely it's worth trusting Murrinho to do what he's done for a season and a half, and do a bloody good job of keeping us entertained in this league.

If we need another keeper, so be it. It might be his objective is to score more goals than we let in, and make the goal difference a lot better.