Sons' sorrow

I would absolutely love to have Kane back. If wasps1 has said it, it's a certainty to happen. As I said at the time, if I was Murray, I wouldn't have re-signed Prunty.

Good to have some cover/competition for Linton, with this guy from Hamilton. Hopefully it can kickstart Linton's season, because apart from the Brechin game, he hasn't been at the races.

Edited by FifeSons

I think sentiment has to be put to one side regarding Prunty. Great guy and has shown a real passion playing for us but is he good enough for this level now? Personally I don't think so.

He's been a great servant over the years and scored some important goals for us but I feel he often looks a bit out of his depth these days.

Obviously would be sad to see him go but if it means getting someone like Kane in then it's a no brainer.

I believe he's better than Colin Nish. Nish has managed 6 goals in 36 appearances for Dumbarton. Neither of them are probably good enough to be relied on at this level but I wouldn't be keeping a forward who's scored an average of a goal every 6 games.

Until we can get a more prolific striker, Prunty looks to be a better option than Nish.

I believe he's better than Colin Nish. Nish has managed 6 goals in 36 appearances for Dumbarton. Neither of them are probably good enough to be relied on at this level but I wouldn't be keeping a forward who's scored an average of a goal every 6 games.

Until we can get a more prolific striker, Prunty looks to be a better option than Nish.

The only reason for Prunty to be leaving would be if we're getting another striker in and all the chat is suggesting Kane. Nish and Murray are good friends and Colin does the coaching with the youth team, he also gives us a different option upfront, I dare say Archie Campbell would score more than Prunty given the correct service. I'm one of Nish's biggest critics but he's never going to be sent out on loan.

Just because he hasn't scored more goals doesn't mean he's a worse player. Prunty is a goal scoring poacher, Nish isn't. It's impossible to compare the two, both completely different players.

Nish proved in the 2nd half of last season he's more than capable at this level. As I've mentioned before he's been no worse than Kirkpatrick or Turner so far but as they are fan favourites they don't get anywhere near the same level of criticism. I'm not saying he's been good, far from it but he does seem to get singled out. Remember he's been playing as a lone with no support or no service from a lacklustre midfield, that's not his fault. Could Prunty do better? I very highly doubt it.

Kierans a good player going forward although pretty much just left footed and defensively he is ok but lacks a bit of bravery to tackle anyone. He also tends to do daft things from time to time. He was excellent for us up until jan-feb then he seemed to disappear and didn't look interested and actually i would say was a passenger last 5-6 games of the season but if he gives it 100% hes a solid enough championship player.

Prunty has shown great commitment to DFC over the years and no one can doubt his contribution during our rise up the divisions. However I don't believe he can offer us anything more than what we already have for this level and if Murray has an opportunity to get someone better in then we should put sentiment aside and wish Prunts all the best elsewhere. Kane coming back would be fantastic.

Not seen anything of McDonald so I will reserve comment but it's obvious we need to strengthen at the back and maybe Murray sees the left-back position as our achillies heel. Linton hasn't looked at his best so far this season, although I'm in no way blaming solely him for our poor start.

What's clear is that Murray feels the squad requires further strengthening. That's in itself is positive.

Said it so many times to so many people, Garry is unlike all of our other strikers. My favourite one actually. He is a bit like a mix of all the other options we have, in one player. He plays the Nish role of getting up for headers, hassling defenders, his work rate is like Prunty's in that he never stops going and always puts in 100% and he has quite a decent turn of pace which Campbell would offer us. In addition I feel his biggest asset is his ability to hold onto the ball. With the ball into his feet his strength and determination is rediculous. He is prone to the odd extra touch or doing the hard part and following it with a bad pass, but who in our team isn't guilty of that kind of thing?

I'd have him as one of the first names on the team sheet. Hopefully Muzz can see that he deserves a wee run in the team. I thought him and Nishy worked well vs Hibs, something which we were trying for the last 5/6 games of last season. Mentioned it before but will say it again, Nish isn't finished, he just isn't a lone striker. Give him a strike partner and he will be effective most of the time.

Edited by squeezebox-son

I'm not sure we'll want Kane to be playing for you lot this season, tbh. Theres no guarantee he'll be heading out anyway, we've only got MacLean and Graham. The other striker, Adam Morgan, looked terrible against Hamilton and is possibly behind Kane in the pecking order now

I'm not sure we'll want Kane to be playing for you lot this season, tbh. Theres no guarantee he'll be heading out anyway, we've only got MacLean and Graham. The other striker, Adam Morgan, looked terrible against Hamilton and is possibly behind Kane in the pecking order now

Whilst you could obviously be correct in that he's not going out on loan, why would you not want him playing for us?

What was the stuff about Brian Graham, you not signed him as well?