Sons' sorrow

I'd heard earlier this week that Wright was reluctant to let him go back to Dumbarton after he was dropped towards the end of last season.

I'm glad he has gone back though. I think Nish helped his game quite a bit, and starting games should really help his development. He's filled out quite a bit over the summer and looks physically stronger this year too.

I'd heard earlier this week that Wright was reluctant to let him go back to Dumbarton after he was dropped towards the end of last season.

At the end of the day he's still a youngster and can't be expected to start every week, especially during a hectic end of season schedule. I'm sure Wright would be more annoyed if we burnt him out. I wouldn't say he was 'dropped', more rested and we also have other good strikers on our books who deserve a chance.

It's obviously not been an issue as he's back, and I'd expect the same philosophy to be applied. When he's fit and scoring goals he'll start, if he's looking tired and it's affecting his form (like it did towards the end of last season) then he'll be rested and others given a chance.

Hopefully we can extend it til the end of the season but I expect if he's on good form St Johnstone may want him back.

At the end of the day he's still a youngster and can't be expected to start every week, especially during a hectic end of season schedule. I'm sure Wright would be more annoyed if we burnt him out. I wouldn't say he was 'dropped', more rested and we also have other good strikers on our books who deserve a chance.

It's obviously not been an issue as he's back, and I'd expect the same philosophy to be applied. When he's fit and scoring goals he'll start, if he's looking tired and it's affecting his form (like it did towards the end of last season) then he'll be rested and others given a chance.

Hopefully we can extend it til the end of the season but I expect if he's on good form St Johnstone may want him back.

I don't think there's any coincidence that Kane's loan spell ties in with that of Adam Morgan. If Morgan's a success and we keep him, I'd expect Kane to remain out on loan. Even if not, we might look for another player to tide us over until the end of the season to ensure Kane's development isn't stunted by being 3rd/4th choice striker with us (I doubt he'll get in ahead of Maclean or Graham at the moment certainly, and both are contracted until at least next summer).

As I say, I'm happy to see Kane back at Dumbarton. You guys seem to play to his strengths and the couple of times I saw him play, he looked very good for you. Fingers crossed he can be similarly successful this time round too.

Edited by Kyle

I'm glad he has gone back though. I think Nish helped his game quite a bit, and starting games should really help his development. He's filled out quite a bit over the summer and looks physically stronger this year too.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure the only reason we 'dropped' him towards the end was to try out other combinations in preparation for this season. Murray had to assume we wouldn't have him back so had to try figure out what other strike partnerships would work.

Anyway, brilliant news! Onwards and upwards.

Way it was reported at the time certainly tied in with the above IIRC, that Murray was looking ahead to the next season and that's why Kane wasn't involved. That maybe just needed clarified to Tommy Wright. I'd maybe have liked to see him out full-time so he could go away and train with another club every day and learn something different but there's no doubt that playing games for Dumbarton last season helped him and hopefully all parties can benefit again for the next four to five months at least.

Memory's faded a bit guys, so could some kind soul please tell me about Prunty's attributes?

I see you've signed ex-Clyde man Kieran MacDonald on loan, as I said to another poster he's a very attack-minded left back with a great touch; he's very quick and technically able too. Not the best defensively but the embodiment of a modern full back.

Hope you guys have a good season again - Dumbarton are a team I've always had a bit of a soft spot for. It's been good to see you, without trying to sound in any way belittling, punching above your weight in recent seasons. Was surprised to see Murray stay on as well but fair play to both him and the club - your initial risk in appointing him has more than paid off.

Memory's faded a bit guys, so could some kind soul please tell me about Prunty's attributes?

I see you've signed ex-Clyde man Kieran MacDonald on loan, as I said to another poster he's a very attack-minded left back with a great touch; he's very quick and technically able too. Not the best defensively but the embodiment of a modern full back.

Hope you guys have a good season again - Dumbarton are a team I've always had a bit of a soft spot for. It's been good to see you, without trying to sound in any way belittling, punching above your weight in recent seasons. Was surprised to see Murray stay on as well but fair play to both him and the club - your initial risk in appointing him has more than paid off.

Prunty is goalscorer, play him upfront (not in midfield) and he'll get 10-20 goals for you. He's done it pretty consistently for us during his time here & although his playing time was significantly reduced last season I'm sure he still scored around 7/8 last year from mainly sub appearances.

Should be a good signing for you.

Prunty's main attribute is his finishing (and incredible overhead kick technique). Give him the ball in the box and he'll score, not particularly pacey or great in the air but a superb poacher with a decent touch.

I feel he's just lacking something to compete at this level these days but should he end up at Clyde he should be an excellent signing at League 2 level.

He's become a firm fans favourite with Sons over the years due to his passion for the club, not something you see often these days. He's also a great guy and been our vice captain over the last couple of seasons. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up cause I fuckin love the guy.

Youtube his goal against Livi for proof of his overhead kick skills. He's banged in 3 for us.

Prunty is a great signing for clyde. I think he's made more appearances for us than he has for any other club. He oozes class on and off the pitch and he should bring on your young players aswell. He's one of the great strikers outwith the premiership. Brilliant finisher in the box and hard worker outside the penalty area. It will be sad to see him go as his loyalty is unmatched in the modern game of one year deals.