Sons' sorrow

Surely there is an untapped market in the junior ranks, local boy Daz McKinnon is a prime example signing for Hamilton while they were in the same division we are and now a mainstay in their team. Before all the doom merchants jump on, I'm not saying that all junior players would get a game but there isn't much of a difference between the top level junior game and it's worth having a look at least, instead of signing promising youngsters that go back to their parent clubs after 6months and we go back to square 1.

Surely there is an untapped market in the junior ranks, local boy Daz McKinnon is a prime example signing for Hamilton while they were in the same division we are and now a mainstay in their team. Before all the doom merchants jump on, I'm not saying that all junior players would get a game but there isn't much of a difference between the top level junior game and it's worth having a look at least, instead of signing promising youngsters that go back to their parent clubs after 6months and we go back to square 1.

The thing is though, there is a big difference between top junior level and the teams in this league (league 1 and 2 maybe not so much). Daz has done well, as has Garry Fleming for us but for every one like that you've got 5 or 6 Tommy Coynes (granted he wasn't the worst we've ever had but nowhere near the standard of this league). I wouldn't be against pulling a player from there but I'd say there is less risk in signing a loan from a premier league club.

^^^Jim George found^^^

I still think that our remaining players are good enough to keep us up. I definitely think that murray is the best manager in the division when you consider what he has done with the available resources. My worry is that if we have injuries and suspensions young untried boys will.be asked to do a job which I honestly think is beyond them

Bill shankly had a philosophy in the sixties and seventies when he played the same eleven every week no matter what. However to do this with part timers is a much more dodgy tactic.

Thankfully we do have a reasonable gap above the bottom three and I have faith in murray to keep us up. A win over livi on Saturday could set is up for a nice profitable run

I still think that our remaining players are good enough to keep us up. I definitely think that murray is the best manager in the division when you consider what he has done with the available resources. My worry is that if we have injuries and suspensions young untried boys will.be asked to do a job which I honestly think is beyond them

Bill shankly had a philosophy in the sixties and seventies when he played the same eleven every week no matter what. However to do this with part timers is a much more dodgy tactic.

Thankfully we do have a reasonable gap above the bottom three and I have faith in murray to keep us up. A win over livi on Saturday could set is up for a nice profitable run

Let's hope so johnny, but I'm not sure I totally share your confidence. Saturday will give good indication.

There is not a chance that Dumbarton will be relegated. Alloa and Cowdenbeath are both rotten, there's no chance of them over-hauling the points gap.

I admire your confidence in us, and I concede that it would have to be a total collapse for us to relegated, but, as a seasoned Sons fan of some 47 years, I won't ever be fully confident until the mathematics say it is so!

Hopefully those two teams, plus Livi, will remain below us. Time will tell.

I admit, we don't have the full picture here but a bad cup run or not being able to sell a player and they're struggling? Either someone at this community club is pocketing all the money or renting out artificial pitches isn't the massive money maker we're told it will be.

Schadenfreude is not a good reaction in a situation like this. Stenny are not the only wee club struggling and a cup run or selling a player ( rare these days I know) can keep the wolf from the door. If Stenny are struggling then that's a warning signal. One source of income they have is from hiring Ochilview out to East Stirling. I don't know how much they make from that but Albion Rovers charged us £1,000 a game for far inferior facilities fifteen years ago. If that were the figure then they have at least an £18k start on the rest of us,

Also, given that we have spent much of the last 20 years at a similar and sometimes lower level than them, it ill becomes us to be sneering at them.

(Sorry on iPad app which doesn't give full info. Just realised that the comment was from a Cowden fan)

Edited by Howlin' Wilf