Sons' sorrow

From where BBPF.we can only sign someone out of contract or development loan. I doubt there is anyone about who is worthy of a place at our level. Agree concerns re depth of squad but suspect too late

We can sign 1 full loan, development loans or any player released before the close of the window. If some initiative was used (see Alloa) during the window a striker could have and should have been secured long before now.

If indeed it has been left too late then it's an absolute shambles. Our options up front will consist of Fleming, Archie or Mitch. Does anyone genuinely think that's a good enough strike force to keep us in this league? I certainly don't. Do we go through the rest of the season naming half a subs bench?

Murray may well bring someone in but I fail to see who we could genuinely sign that is good enough to be our main striker. I hope to be proved wrong.

Unless a new striker at the very least is brought in my confidence in us staying up will decrease drasticly.

Steady on. It's one thing saying we need to bring in another striker, an opinion everyone shares, but it's another finding one who is capable of doing a job at this level and readily available. There is no point adding a player who is no better than what we already have.

The current albeit depleted team managed to stick three in Falkirk's onion bag last time out so we're not exactly incapable of scoring with what we have at present.

Steady on. It's one thing saying we need to bring in another striker, an opinion everyone shares, but it's another finding one who is capable of doing a job at this level and readily available. There is no point adding a player who is no better than what we already have.

The current albeit depleted team managed to stick three in Falkirk's onion bag last time out so we're not exactly incapable of scoring with what we have at present.

I think the point he's making is that strikers were available this month, Alloa have signed 4 strikers this month so there was certainly players there. We knew Kane was going back and by all accounts Nish and Murray had been on the rocks for a while so a striker should really have been priority for us along with a centre half. There should be plenty of incentives for pulling a player into our club at the moment and with all the players/coaches that have left there should be ample cash there to persuade someone of quality decent enough to do us a job. January is always hard, I know but I don't think it's harsh or OTT to say that we've had a fairly woeful window in comparison to our rivals.

Do you genuinely believe Fleming, Campbell and Megginson are a good enough forward 3 for this level? One good result against Falkirk doesn't change my mind that what we currently have is not good enough. Numbers wise, quality wise or depth wise.

There were players out there and had we looked hard enough we could have found at least one striker who is good enough. We don't even have enough players to fill the bench so quite frankly anyone is an improvement on no one right now.

If we don't sign anyone else then January has been an utter clusterfuck of a transfer window for us. And there will be only one person to blame for that...

Murray has had 2 excellent years with us. I'm sure he is aware of where we need improving and will take appropriate action. Too soon to be having a pop at him in my opinion but relative success sometimes brings unrealistic expectations.

Also we can't assume that finances are available just because we have reduced the wage bill. Murray doesn't control the budget and other forces may be constraining this. Still no update on the new stadium?

Murray has had 2 excellent years with us. I'm sure he is aware of where we need improving and will take appropriate action. Too soon to be having a pop at him in my opinion but relative success sometimes brings unrealistic expectations.

Unrealistic expectations? If having a recognised striker in the ranks and enough players to fill the bench with a view to survival is an unrealistic expectation I'd hate to see what you consider realistic. Out of the 3 'strikers' we currently have 1 has played on the wing for nigh on 2 seasons now, 1 has spent the first half of the season on the bench or on the wing and the other is a good enough striker when played alongside someone else. Should one of them get injured in the next few weeks we're goosed.

No ones having a pop at him but should we go through the rest of the season with what we have and it's not enough then he'll receive criticism. He's done a grand job so far and I'm delighted he's our manager, I'm a huge fan of his but that doesn't make him invincible.

I'll be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong but unless some new faces are brought in I wont be expecting much. Lets hope we see at least 1 decent signing before Saturday.

Also we can't assume that finances are available just because we have reduced the wage bill. Murray doesn't control the budget and other forces may be constraining this. Still no update on the new stadium?

Not trying to have a pop at Murray in all honesty, there's no one else I'd have managing us at the moment and he's done a brilliant job so far. I just feel he's possibly leaving us short up front if we don't get someone in. Maybe the board have reduced his budget but I reckon someone would've made noises about that if it were the case (mainly Murray!). There's still time for him to do business though so I'm not jumping the gun here.

Do you genuinely believe Fleming, Campbell and Megginson are a good enough forward 3 for this level? One good result against Falkirk doesn't change my mind that what we currently have is not good enough. Numbers wise, quality wise or depth wise.

There were players out there and had we looked hard enough we could have found at least one striker who is good enough. We don't even have enough players to fill the bench so quite frankly anyone is an improvement on no one right now.

If we don't sign anyone else then January has been an utter clusterfuck of a transfer window for us. And there will be only one person to blame for that...

I don't think anyone disputes that an addition to our forward options would be a wise move, I said as much in my last post. It's easy to say that we could have found at least one striker who is good enough but why don't you put forward some names? I'm sure Murray is well aware that we are short in that department, and I'm sure he made moves during the transfer window to address that shortfall. It doesn't look like it's came of for whatever reason but who do you suggest we move for at this late stage? Who will improve the squad?

Starting talk of relegation is slightly premature don't you think?

If this isn't having a pop then I wonder what is!

Where should we realistically expect to be sitting in the league today? We should appreciate what we have because Murray won't be here forever and we'll certainly miss him when he leaves.

Unrealistic expectations? If having a recognised striker in the ranks and enough players to fill the bench with a view to survival is an unrealistic expectation I'd hate to see what you consider realistic. Out of the 3 'strikers' we currently have 1 has played on the wing for nigh on 2 seasons now, 1 has spent the first half of the season on the bench or on the wing and the other is a good enough striker when played alongside someone else. Should one of them get injured in the next few weeks we're goosed.

No ones having a pop at him but should we go through the rest of the season with what we have and it's not enough then he'll receive criticism. He's done a grand job so far and I'm delighted he's our manager, I'm a huge fan of his but that doesn't make him invincible.

I'll be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong but unless some new faces are brought in I wont be expecting much. Lets hope we see at least 1 decent signing before Saturday.

I totally agree with this, and some Sons fans on here seem to regard any sort of robust discussion concerning Ian Murray as a heresy. Remember this folks, he is on a decent wage at DFC, indeed it was (and may still be) based on his role as Player/Manager, so I think we have a right to expect some sort of minimum standard. Somewhat ironically, most of his less illustrious predecessors were at least able to fill the bench !

But that's not the point. Kane's waygoing was known for long enough and irrespective of Nish's departure we had a crying need for a striker; the fact that there has been little obvious news suggests that for all Murray's attributes, wheeling and dealing and having a fat contacts book are not two of them.

Like BBPF I'd rather a rabbit was pulled from the hat before Saturday but we may just have to get on with it - hardly ideal, despite three goals at Falkirk.

Not sure if a lack of contacts is valid, not considering we have players on loan from 4 different spl clubs.

Sure I remember Murray talking on the radio about loans of 93 days, are these only emergency loans?

I wonder about the previously mentioned Eamon Brophy from accies now that Scotland has returned to them.

I ve always felt mich should be played up front, he doesnt convince me as a midfield player.

Not concerned too much just now, but it does look like the other teams have strengthened.

I totally agree with this, and some Sons fans on here seem to regard any sort of robust discussion concerning Ian Murray as a heresy. Remember this folks, he is on a decent wage at DFC, indeed it was (and may still be) based on his role as Player/Manager, so I think we have a right to expect some sort of minimum standard. Somewhat ironically, most of his less illustrious predecessors were at least able to fill the bench !

Define minimum standard. I'd argue that by keeping us in this division he's met more than the minimum standard required. Some fans on here seem eager to hit the panic button.

I'll say it again, everyone agrees another striker would be a welcome boost. I've yet to hear who we could bring in to improve the squad though, and talk of relegation given our current position is a tad ridiculous.

It's a crisis and Murray's to blame!What has he ever done for us? Have you guys not got a cat you could kick?

right you, I have two cats.if anyone even tries to kick them, I'll put a contract out on their kneecaps.

Define minimum standard. I'd argue that by keeping us in this division he's met more than the minimum standard required. Some fans on here seem eager to hit the panic button.

I'll say it again, everyone agrees another striker would be a welcome boost. I've yet to hear who we could bring in to improve the squad though, and talk of relegation given our current position is a tad ridiculous.

No panic button Jordo, but no complacency either.

My definition of a minimum standard ? A first-team squad with a balance in defence, midfield and attack. A squad with no position overloaded. A squad with a minimum of jersey-fillers. A team where players play in position. A reasonably settled first eleven. A squad maintained at a sensible numerical level, and never allowed to drop to bare minimum.

Achieve that and you have built the platform for any division - that is the challenge for the team manager and the Board. As for nominating strikers, since when was that the responsibility of supporters ?

My definition of a minimum standard ? A first-team squad with a balance in defence, midfield and attack. A squad with no position overloaded. A squad with a minimum of jersey-fillers. A team where players play in position. A reasonably settled first eleven. A squad maintained at a sensible numerical level, and never allowed to drop to bare minimum.

Achieve that and you have built the platform for any division - that is the challenge for the team manager and the Board. As for nominating strikers, since when was that the responsibility of supporters ?

In that case the vast majority of football managers fall short of your minimum standards. I'd suggest that's a list of ideals, but we don't live in an ideal world and as it stands Murray obviously hasn't been able to secure the services of a striker who is better than what we already have, but you can bet it won't be for a lack of trying.

Football fans don't have any responsibility for nominating strikers but that's not stopped us in the past. The consensus on here seems to be that Murray brings in a striker, any striker, before our impending relegation 10 pointer with Cowden on Saturday - I'm simply asking who that could possibly be, because personally I can't think of any.

Murray will have enquired about strikers, of that I have no doubt. For whatever reason a deal hasn't been done; maybe the money wasn't right, or a loan deal didn't suit the player/club, or maybe, just maybe, there's no one available who is better than what we already have. We can't just magic up another Dobbie or Kane and I don't see many prolific goalscorers kicking their heels waiting on a phone call from Dumbarton.