Sons' sorrow

I'm fine with Ewings re-signing, he's as good a number 2 keeper as we need and surely wont be on a big wedge. I was hoping for more signing news in the shape of Agnew and Graham but we'll need patience here, we' ve a full squad to build and Aitken will be making sure he gets it right.

Ewings is a good number 2. Also heard Mitchell is a done deal

Hear it from a reputable source? I can see it happening and I'd be delighted with it, he's a top 'keeper and is only going to get better. 25 years old and over 200 senior appearances is very rare.

Interesting one for him that, does he come to us and be undisputed number 1 before moving on to a bigger club or move to Dundee where he'll be number 2 and try and take the limited opportunities that might come his way.

Difficult situation that, has he got a job outside football does anybody know?

Edited to add: Wee Stee knows we need a new 'keeper. Nae danger.

Aitken said: “When I looked at the goals against column from last season I knew that signing a goalkeeper for Dumbarton was a priority as Danny Rogers has returned to Aberdeen.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

hear hear, and that's been our major downfall in recent years, not the keeper

As good as Danny is, we still lost a shitload of goals this season. I also think we had good defenders but it was down to lapses in concentration and strikers that could take advantage of them. Without digging into previous posts, I'm sure people were happy when the likes of Graham, Linton, McLaughlin etc signed new deals last year despite us losing one goal fewer than we scored in 2013/14. We are in need of a new defence if we are to improve on the last few years goals against column. Thankfully Stevie Aitken seems to be doing something about this!

Last close season it seemed to me our priority was to get some firepower sorted. We had done ok goalkeeper wise. People forget that Grindlay was in goal for a seven game unbeaten run from January 4th to March 1st 2014. We lost a single goal in the cup tie at Aberdeen from a corner that Adam Rooney beat our defence far too easily from.

And Grindlay was our second choice 'keeper.

We let in 15 more goals this season (ok, almost entirely due to the big three). However we scored 29 fewer goals. This was partly down to the formation/ not having the benefit of Kane for so long/inexplicably releasing Prunty and persevering with the railway sleeper.

Whilst we do need another keeper, I'd think the new manager's priority is to get a decent goalscorer(s) in. Lets get back to attacking the opposition and hope that we're handing out awards to the top goalscorer at the end of the season and not the (on loan) keeper.

Last close season it seemed to me our priority was to get some firepower sorted. We had done ok goalkeeper wise. People forget that Grindlay was in goal for a seven game unbeaten run from January 4th to March 1st 2014. We lost a single goal in the cup tie at Aberdeen from a corner that Adam Rooney beat our defence far too easily from.

And Grindlay was our second choice 'keeper.

We let in 15 more goals this season (ok, almost entirely due to the big three). However we scored 29 fewer goals. This was partly down to the formation/ not having the benefit of Kane for so long/inexplicably releasing Prunty and persevering with the railway sleeper.

Whilst we do need another keeper, I'd think the new manager's priority is to get a decent goalscorer(s) in. Lets get back to attacking the opposition and hope that we're handing out awards to the top goalscorer at the end of the season and not the (on loan) keeper.

The new Manager's priority is to get a whole squad in, and in that regard I'm just a wee bit concerned about the (unavoidable) timing of his jaunt to Florida; I would imagine the mobile getting as hot as the temperatures over there.

As regards goals against, I repeat; whilst a percentage was certainly down to the defence and 'keepers per se, the chronic inability of the midfield and the forwards to hold the ball and provide any sort of defensive barrier in the middle third of the pitch saw opposition teams repeatedly come at our box in waves, after melting thro our middle order.

The comparison of goals with last season is interesting, but would be illuminating to see the percentage possession stats, especially in games which we actually won. And using 5/6 centre-backs thro a season is for the birds.

The new Manager's priority is to get a whole squad in, and in that regard I'm just a wee bit concerned about the (unavoidable) timing of his jaunt to Florida; I would imagine the mobile getting as hot as the temperatures over there.

As regards goals against, I repeat; whilst a percentage was certainly down to the defence and 'keepers per se, the chronic inability of the midfield and the forwards to hold the ball and provide any sort of defensive barrier in the middle third of the pitch saw opposition teams repeatedly come at our box in waves, after melting thro our middle order.

The comparison of goals with last season is interesting, but would be illuminating to see the percentage possession stats, especially in games which we actually won. And using 5/6 centre-backs thro a season is for the birds.

You're right of course. I was working on a perhaps foolish assumption that the likes of Aggy, Graham, Taggart, Fleming, Kirkpatrick and McCallum would re-sign adding to Ewings, defender Buchanan and midfielder Gallagher. I still think the formation(s) last season led to much of the leaking of goals. We lost McGinn but gained Rogers on the previous season. The midfield and forwards weren't too much different from 2013/14. Tyhe irony is that we set up to concede fewer goals.

Murray would argue that it was a much harder league and seventh was as good if not better than fifth previous season. I just wonder if we'd set out to attack as previous what the result would have been.

The longer it drags on the less confident I am that the likes of Aggy will stay. Fully expected to have heard something by now, especially regarding Chase.

Of course it's still very early doors but we need the re-signings to move fast. If these guys aint going to sign we need to find replacements so I'd hope there has been a deadline set.

I see Ayr are reportedly signing an 'experienced Championship midfielder' and seem to be throwing a bit of money around. Aggy's been bigging them up on Twitter a bit recently. Surely not...

The longer it drags on the less confident I am that the likes of Aggy will stay. Fully expected to have heard something by now, especially regarding Chase.

Of course it's still very early doors but we need the re-signings to move fast. If these guys aint going to sign we need to find replacements so I'd hope there has been a deadline set.

I see Ayr are reportedly signing an 'experienced Championship midfielder' and seem to be throwing a bit of money around. Aggy's been bigging them up on Twitter a bit recently. Surely not...

With St.Mirren, Ayr and Alloa all now hovering, an Aggy signature would be better sooner rather than later

Unfortunately we have another two matches against the Rangers and all the baggage that their fans bring. As they are now in the championship for the second year running will the police downgrade their games to normal rather than category A. The same should apply to Hibs (no trouble from them)