Sons' sorrow

The fact he didn't even get off the bench last night suggests to me that something isn't quite right there, especially when Gall is blowing out his arse. Doesn't sound like Kirky was up to much last night either.

Aye it is strange, although other factors played a part in the subs. We were forced into using one sub when Waters' face wouldn't stop bleeding, Kirkpatrick was poor, as he is when he's played out wide and I can't even remember who the other player was who went off, but the three players he brought on (Docherty, Gibson and Craig) were probably the three he didn't want to use, but felt he had to.

All three were no brainers, although Gal was struggling, he did still manage to influence play a bit. Nae chance #666 could play either out wide, up front or left-back.

We are in desperate need of a back up winger...or two. If Cawley or Gibson get injured/suspended (which I suspect will happen, Willie seems to get booked every time he takes to the field) then we have no other options out there.

E.T.A It was Gordon Smith who came off, actually forgot he played for us :lol:

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

I was thinking that too, Easton would've thrived under Murray and Ross but only ever showed glimpses of being a footballer at all last year.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back almost to act as cover for Cawley and Gibson.

Speaking of Gibson, there was a guy a few rows behind me speaking about how he "just isn't good enough" and he doesn't like his demeanour on the pitch.

We have some truly horrendous 'fans'.

Gibson always looks like he could make something happen, last night there wasn't much being sent into the box before he came on. Everyone was trying to find that extra pass like arsenal before messing it up, but gibby was direct and that's what we needed.

What's the deal with the wee boys who were up the back shouting about how queens are in league 2, beamer.

Gibson always looks like he could make something happen, last night there wasn't much being sent into the box before he came on. Everyone was trying to find that extra pass like arsenal before messing it up, but gibby was direct and that's what we needed.

What's the deal with the wee boys who were up the back shouting about how queens are in league 2, beamer.

I genuinely think the guy just doesn't like Gibson's arrogant, feisty attitude on the pitch...which also happens to be my favourite part of the way he plays. He was one of the very, very few who looked like scoring last night, but some of our support - as has been mentioned before - seem to enjoy coming to games to moan at players. Strange that we didn't get better away supports when we were rancid and at the wrong end of the third division, they would've loved that.

Disappointingly, I think we found out last night that our squad may not be as strong as we had hoped, with Messrs Kirkpatrick, Smith and Graham doing very little to suggest they should be regular first-team picks. From their point of view it could soon be worse than that, as Aitken and Farrell don’t strike me as the sentimental types.

Watters I would absolve due to injury and having no-one to assist him wide left. Young Lindsay being absent is potentially a blow as the gaffer is presumably now having second thoughts on the Seldom-Seen Kid and Jordan is inexplicably looking like he’s going thro the motions, all of which is leaving us potentially three midfielders down – just like that.

Anyway, we’re currently ahead of the game in the league campaign and we need to be at again it this weekend. Nil desperandum and all that.

Disappointingly, I think we found out last night that our squad may not be as strong as we had hoped, with Messrs Kirkpatrick, Smith and Graham doing very little to suggest they should be regular first-team picks. From their point of view it could soon be worse than that, as Aitken and Farrell don’t strike me as the sentimental types.

Watters I would absolve due to injury and having no-one to assist him wide left. Young Lindsay being absent is potentially a blow as the gaffer is presumably now having second thoughts on the Seldom-Seen Kid and Jordan is inexplicably looking like he’s going thro the motions, all of which is leaving us potentially three midfielders down – just like that.

Anyway, we’re currently ahead of the game in the league campaign and we need to be at again it this weekend. Nil desperandum and all that.

I'd agree with this.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Stevie to look into letting the likes of Miller and Smith go out on loan to free up some space for more capable replacements. It's probably unlikely that will happen but judging by their limited game time, Stevie may be thinking the same.

Graham hasn't particularly impressed when he's been given a chance, I'm not sure I'd be keen on depending on him should Barr or Buchanan pick up an injury. A comment made by his friends or family last night (after QP scored) was along the lines of 'get it up ye ya wee ginger p***k, telling him he'd be captain if he signed'. That suggests Graham hasn't taken the decision to remove the captaincy from him very well. His lack of pace is becoming more of an issue every time I see him.

Kirkpatrick is another who really needs to up his game. I really expected him to make the most of his start last night but he again failed to impress. I'd rather hold onto him but only if he's willing to get the finger out.

Our starting 11 looks very strong but based on what I've seen of our back-up options there's still work to be done.

Andy Graham just doesn't look anywhere near match sharp. Was exposed by Malonga's pace, badly at the Hibs game and made an absolute mess of a routine clearance by trying to skin a few players last night that cost us the game. He's a cracking centre-half, but (and I don't know if maybe his head's in the wrong place as it's the first time he's had to fight for his place in the team with us) there's absolutely no way I'd have him anywhere near the starting Xi at the moment.

Coming out in the paper, saying how disappointed he was really surprised me. He's been a model pro for us and I thought he'd take it on the chin, get his head down and quietly work his way back into the team.

How did his 'pals' react to the goal, BBPF? Did he take any, quiet stick? Or just GIRFUY to Wee Stee.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

How did his 'pals' react to the goal, BBPF? Did he take any, quiet stick? Or just GIRFUY to Wee Stee.

The GIRFUY to wee Stee followed by 'what's he meant to do when no one gives him an option'. Anytime he done something wrong they basically blurted out a reason why it was someone elses fault. I found the reaction to the goal pretty bizarre as they were actively supporting the Sons but seemed delighted at the prospect of Stevie being annoyed by the result.

Where did he say he was disappointed?

Edited to add: Just clocked your link. I'm tired today, and it's all because of that penalty miss :(

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Hard to understand criticism of the team so far. Aitken seems to have got team selections and tactics right. The defence is definately better than last year. Gallagher and routledge are a great midfield partnership. Gibson is an entertainer the likes of which that we rarely see. Meanwhile Fleming is playing the best football of his career.

Let's enjoy what we have.

Maybe it's a bit easier to understand, after your sides 2nd defeat to a bottom tier club, in the space of a few weeks.

Maybe it's a bit easier to understand, after your sides 2nd defeat to a bottom tier club, in the space of a few weeks.

Fair point.

Board oot! Stee oot! #666 oot! Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium.com oot!

Everyone, man your panic stations.

Alloa out tonight as well, ouch. Not been a great cup for the Championship teams...or they don't really take it seriously...

Having seen the fella Craig up front for us 3 times now, I've not been overly impressed with him tbh.

his effort is excellent, pulls defender's all over the place, strong, few chances have came his way, but we have been scoring from dead balls, his goals will come I'm sure

Having seen the fella Craig up front for us 3 times now, I've not been overly impressed with him tbh.

Reality check required IMO, would you prefer Nish up there? Or maybe Andy Brown if you can remember any of those prolific scorers.

Craig is maybe more of a goal maker up front but he will score his fair share I am sure

his effort is excellent, pulls defender's all over the place, strong, few chances have came his way, but we have been scoring from dead balls, his goals will come I'm sure

I'd agree with that. He's not an out and out goalscorer, but is similar to Fleming - maybe with less shooting , but more intelligent ball usage. Very strong, excellent at holding play up, wins a lot in the air and has an excellent knack of forcing defenders into a foul. He won the penalty last night, and the free kick that Buchy scored from against Hibs.

If you watch him closely when he's playing you'll notice some very clever subtle things that he does. Small movements off the ball, and when we are in possession to open up space for the midfielders to either play the ball into, or run into.

The Fleming/Craig strikeforce, whilst not particularly pacey, must be horrible for defenders to play against. I'd still like to see Brophy or Shankland brought in though, has the former featured much for Accies this term?

The way Dumbarton are shaping up is hardly playing in Craig's favour. The service to him at St Mirren was non existent, and I don't imagine he's had too many other chances in the games he's played. If you play him as a lone striker and use him as a target man, he will score goals. He's a confidence player. If he bags a goal or two, he'll start banging them in, but you can't expect him to score goals when there's no service.

The way Dumbarton are shaping up is hardly playing in Craig's favour. The service to him at St Mirren was non existent, and I don't imagine he's had too many other chances in the games he's played. If you play him as a lone striker and use him as a target man, he will score goals. He's a confidence player. If he bags a goal or two, he'll start banging them in, but you can't expect him to score goals when there's no service.

Getting boring now. Away post about 'your team' celtic.