Sons' sorrow

On 31/07/2017 at 16:34, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'd say that's pretty harsh to be honest. He was excellent on Saturday, as recognised by Lee McCulloch post-match, and really prevented it being a hammering.

Do you still think Gallagher in goals is decent? Seriously the guy can't catch a cold never mind a cross. No point in being a good shot stopper if you flap at every high and crossed ball. It took me 30 minutes at the Clyde game to work that out so god knows why Aitken signed him

7 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

Do you still think Gallagher in goals is decent? Seriously the guy can't catch a cold never mind a cross. No point in being a good shot stopper if you flap at every high and crossed ball. It took me 30 minutes at the Clyde game to work that out so god knows why Aitken signed him

He has his moments, but yesterday he kept a clean sheet and pulled off a couple very decent stops. As I said previously Shay was a cracking shot stopper who struggled with high balls, Gallacher just reminds me of him.

I still remember fans tearing into Danny Rogers after we lost 4-0 at home to Queen of the South a few years ago, saying that he was nowhere near as good as Grindlay and Jaz, and that they couldn't understand why Ian Murray brought him in. I said then that you need to give a 'keeper time. Especially one who hasn't played a lot of football recently, who is playing with a totally rebuilt team and who is playing at a notoriously windy venue.

5 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He has his moments, but yesterday he kept a clean sheet and pulled off a couple very decent stops. As I said previously Shay was a cracking shot stopper who struggled with high balls, Gallacher just reminds me of him.

I still remember fans tearing into Danny Rogers after we lost 4-0 at home to Queen of the South a few years ago, saying that he was nowhere near as good as Grindlay and Jaz, and that they couldn't understand why Ian Murray brought him in. I said then that you need to give a 'keeper time. Especially one who hasn't played a lot of football recently, who is playing with a totally rebuilt team and who is playing at a notoriously windy venue.

Totally respect its early days but during the games I have seen him he has too many weaknesses for me to be a goalkeeper in the Championship. I hope I am proved wrong 100%. Grindlay did have a weakness for high balls but he did have a confidence about him. It's a miracle Gallagher kept a clean sh

It just shows how scummy football fans can be that something like that needs to be read out.

It really doesn't. It just shows how we are treated with utter contempt at every turn.

Have you ever seen a homophobic flag at a Scottish football match? I certainly haven't. Infact I could count on 2 fingers the amount of times I've seen any form of trouble at a Dumbarton game. One of those incidents being a Hamilton fan kicking a wing mirror off a car about half a mile from the stadium.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to read out a fuckin code of conduct before a match.

It really doesn't. It just shows how we are treated with utter contempt at every turn.

Have you ever seen a homophobic flag at a Scottish football match? I certainly haven't. Infact I could count on 2 fingers the amount of times I've seen any form of trouble at a Dumbarton game. One of those incidents being a Hamilton fan kicking a wing mirror off a car about half a mile from the stadium.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to read out a fuckin code of conduct before a match.

There shouldn't be any need to but then it's come about from something somewhere. We started hearing it at Palmerston shortly after incidents involving a young section of fans constantly letting off these stupid banger things. It may well have been a coincidence of timing of course.

Nevertheless my point is that there are a fair few football fans who are a just complete scumbags even outside of the OF.

I haven't seen such a flag but I would never be surprised to see such a flag tbh.

There shouldn't be any need to but then it's come about from something somewhere. We started hearing it at Palmerston shortly after incidents involving a young section of fans constantly letting off these stupid banger things. It may well have been a coincidence of timing of course.

Nevertheless my point is that there are a fair few football fans who are a just complete scumbags even outside of the OF.

I haven't seen such a flag but I would never be surprised to see such a flag tbh.

We'll agree to disagree on this.

I've seen videos of worse incidents at rugby and ice hockey matches in recent times than I've ever witnessed at a football match. Perhaps I've just got lucky over the years that I've managed to avoid these numerous louts who frequent Scottish football matches.

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was a coincidence. You started hearing it at Palmerston when we were int he same division as Rangers, Hearts and Hibs and getting regular visits from SPFL delegates who pointed out we should have been drawing attention to it all along. It is in the League rules.

Of course it may be argued that if we hadn't been in a division with three such big clubs we wouldn't have had a group of young morons playing with pyro for a blissfully short spell anyway.

There are a lot of people who are scumbags so some are bound to be football fans. Having said that the irony of a sport where players are obviously very wary of coming out trying to dictate a moral code to fans is way off the irony meter

Football is trying to change it's image. It clearly needs to do something to challenge the assumptions of non-football fans or of recent football fans in order to attract and retain new supporters. The sad fact is that we need people who would perhaps previously have been put off by the atmosphere at a football game if crowds are ever going to improve - or even stand still. We're losing fans at a quicker rate than we're replacing them and we need to do more to attract the kind of people who perhaps wouldn't previously have gone to football games and who are now going to rugby and ice hockey because of the atmosphere/night out it offers.

Unfortunately that means a national campaign that puts out a consistent message. Clearly not all clubs have a problem with sectarianism, racism, sexism or homophobia. Reading out the same message to fans of all clubs can have the opposite effect to whats intended. Fans can rightly point out that there are no such problems amongst their fan base and the message can lose any kind of impact.

Do we have a problem with discriminatory chanting at Dumbarton? Of course not. Not least because the most our chants manage are 2 renditions of "Dumbarton *clap clap clap*". We usually run out of enthusiasm by the third attempt.

Does football need to put this kind of message out to try to change public opinion about the crowd atmosphere at football games? Absolutely.

Whether us cynics who have followed Scottish football for years like it or not, we're not the future of football. The future of football is attracting women, kids, families and anybody else who wouldn't traditionally think about attending football games but who are now spending their money at Scotstoun, Myreside, Murrayfield and Braehead. If we don't do something to change the image of football and to get more people through the gates then we're heading for an even bleaker future than we have right now.

Football is trying to change it's image. It clearly needs to do something to challenge the assumptions of non-football fans or of recent football fans in order to attract and retain new supporters. The sad fact is that we need people who would perhaps previously have been put off by the atmosphere at a football game if crowds are ever going to improve - or even stand still. We're losing fans at a quicker rate than we're replacing them and we need to do more to attract the kind of people who perhaps wouldn't previously have gone to football games and who are now going to rugby and ice hockey because of the atmosphere/night out it offers.

Unfortunately that means a national campaign that puts out a consistent message. Clearly not all clubs have a problem with sectarianism, racism, sexism or homophobia. Reading out the same message to fans of all clubs can have the opposite effect to whats intended. Fans can rightly point out that there are no such problems amongst their fan base and the message can lose any kind of impact.

Do we have a problem with discriminatory chanting at Dumbarton? Of course not. Not least because the most our chants manage are 2 renditions of "Dumbarton *clap clap clap*". We usually run out of enthusiasm by the third attempt.

Does football need to put this kind of message out to try to change public opinion about the crowd atmosphere at football games? Absolutely.

Whether us cynics who have followed Scottish football for years like it or not, we're not the future of football. The future of football is attracting women, kids, families and anybody else who wouldn't traditionally think about attending football games but who are now spending their money at Scotstoun, Myreside, Murrayfield and Braehead. If we don't do something to change the image of football and to get more people through the gates then we're heading for an even bleaker future than we have right now.

If that's the case they better start telling the Scottish Government to stop painting football fans as criminals and hoodlums, telling the press to stop plastering it all over their pages when 5 Celtic fans sing a song about Lee Rigby or 5 Rangers fans were caught doing a saulte.

If I was a parent, I'd be put off by all the shite. f**k taking your weans to a venue where legistlations are required to keep people in order and announcements are required to tell folk how to behave. There isn't a problem to begin with so they should stop creating an imaginery one, it's only going to put folk off, not encourage them to attend.

You can't legislate for stupidity and you can't legislate to change people's habits. The current legislation doesnt work and actually probably makes public perception worse. The bad habits that surround Scottish football haven't gone away since the introduction of that barmy offensive behaviour bill. Theres still a minority of fans who want to indulge in all sorts of utter nonsense. It is a minority, but they're still there and I doubt that anything can be done - short of banning - to remove that element from football.

The game needs to be seen to be doing something. It's probably not doing the right things, or taking enough steps to change public perception of football. Its why the likes of the SFSA are going to be very important for the future of football because a game that's reliant on working class men for it's entire fanbase is doomed. We're not bringing kids through to become life long fans as quickly as we're losing the older generation.

I've possibly picked up a comment or two incorrectly on here, but did that big handsome b*****d, Craig Barr play in the middle of the park for Dumbarton on Saturday?

I'd always wanted him to play in there for Raith, but injuries and him strolling the game at centre-half put paid to that.

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

I've possibly picked up a comment or two incorrectly on here, but did that big handsome b*****d, Craig Barr play in the middle of the park for Dumbarton on Saturday?

I'd always wanted him to play in there for Raith, but injuries and him strolling the game at centre-half put paid to that.

He did indeed. Injuries to Grant Gallagher and Stuart Carswell, and Kyle Hutton's suspension made him the only natural option in there, and he was at his rampaging best. Flying into headers, charging around hammering into tackles and generally dominating the midfield battle. Played a few decent balls forward as well.

I think I'll actually shed a tear when he gets injured :( 

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

You can't legislate for stupidity and you can't legislate to change people's habits. The current legislation doesnt work and actually probably makes public perception worse. The bad habits that surround Scottish football haven't gone away since the introduction of that barmy offensive behaviour bill. Theres still a minority of fans who want to indulge in all sorts of utter nonsense. It is a minority, but they're still there and I doubt that anything can be done - short of banning - to remove that element from football.

The game needs to be seen to be doing something. It's probably not doing the right things, or taking enough steps to change public perception of football. Its why the likes of the SFSA are going to be very important for the future of football because a game that's reliant on working class men for it's entire fanbase is doomed. We're not bringing kids through to become life long fans as quickly as we're losing the older generation.

Children and all seated stadiums do not equate. They need room to run around when they get bored

He did indeed. Injuries to Grant Gallagher and Stuart Carswell, and Kyle Hutton's suspension made him the only natural option in there, and he was at his rampaging best. Flying into headers, charging around hammering into tackles and generally dominating the midfield battle. Played a few decent balls forward as well.
I think I'll actually shed a tear when he gets injured [emoji20] 

He's already played more games between July and February for yourselves than he managed in three seasons for Raith, which is remarkable.

Despite that, I miss him, and think about him every day.

7 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

If you have time to watch our highlights (although I wouldn't recommend it), you'll see him breezing out from the edge of his own area and going past (I think) 3 Morton players before releasing a pass in the first half. He's just a glorious thing to watch at any time.