Sons' sorrow

24 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Seeing as our threads been a bit quiet of late.
There's a wee rumour I seen on Twitter that Jim Duffy is off at the end of the season. Surely if this happened Stevie would be a big favourite to take over across the water?

I think the odds on that possibility may have lengthened considerably in the last 3 months.

We have a massive part to play in these Play-Offs,, 500 odd travelled down to TNS & we, arguably spurred the team onto that famous win. All those flags & banners that fans made for the Irn Bru Final, get them down to the Rock & pinned up on the fences for the Play-Offs. Make some noise.

Heads are well down just now, mine included.

I doubt if I'll make either of the first round games. Big ask for folk to get to Arbroath after work for the midweek game and then go to work the next morning. I'm on the 11:30 train home from Newcastle on the Saturday so it'll be really tight for time.

I hope we have a playoff final for me to attend.

Arbroath was always going to be really difficult for me, but I'm honestly not sure if it's even worth the effort.

I've no idea why I went today, and the fact that we were timewasting to keep the defeat respectable was one of the most painful things I've seen.

17 points adrift of safety tells a story.

I'm just listening to Ayr being presented with the League One trophy. They finished last season with 33 points, 3 more than Dumbarton finished with today, so pretty comparable performances over a season. Raith Rovers who, like us this season, finished 9th are now probably favourites to win the play offs (shouldn't it be plays off?) just as Brechin did last season, beating Raith in the process.

Those two sentences should illustrate just how football can change in the course of 12 months.

I wish Steve Aitken and the players all the best in the plays off.

I hope the the Sons manage to make the best of whatever the outcome is.

Yeah it's pretty grim and is going to take a huge effort to lift the players and us fans for the playoffs. If it hadn't been for Brechin we could've been relegated weeks ago, our form has been pretty stinking. Take the 12 points from Brechin that everyone in the league (barring 4 teams) got and we have a measly 18 points from everyone else. we beat Dundee Utd a few weeks ago and I think we all hoped that would start a wee run for us but unfortunately not. We can blame Stevie for this situation, his tactics have been pretty grim, sometimes baffling. Player selections have been strange. If Morton come calling I'm sure we will all give him our blessing (he will always be a legend just for that cup run) and not be too fussed. Ultimately though the players need to have a good look at themselves. On paper we have a decent side, in reality it's a side bereft of fight, dig and the motivation to get themselves out of trouble. We have strikers who can't score, a midfield that can't create and for a huge part of the season a GK who looked like he would drop everything somong his way (granted he's came on throughout the season). Froxy scores some wonder goals but what else dies he offer? He can't seem to last a full game, quite damning for a guy that makes a living from football, he doesn't do any sort if defensive duties and is he a player we need at the bottom of the league. Hutton a guy who's played in the champions league, should be bossing the game at this level, has been decent since Xmas but maybe its the others poor performances making him look decent, doesn't create enough. Handling, waste of a jersey for me (goal at TNS aside but even I before that I was shouting for him to be subbed). Nesbit, Wilson, Beany brought in for what reason? They have offered nothing. The players lack someone on the park to give them a boot up the arse, iv said it before, would Chris Turner, Brian Prunty or Garry Fleming put up with the lack of fight? I think not.

29 minutes ago, albundy said:

Arbroath it is.

Not for me it isn't.  Much as it's a tidy wee ground and a throwback to Scottish football of yesteryear, this game is simply too grim a prospect to consider attending.  Silverton End is entirely correct in trying to whip up some enthusiasm  but I fear that it will be too much to expect a group of players which has recently been getting battered on almost on a twice-weekly basis to suddenly up their game and their confidence* sufficiently to keep the club up.  We already have so many guys out injured with Mango presumably suspended after today that another potential three fixtures looks a huge ask.  

* In some cases attitude.

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Not for me it isn't.  Much as it's a tidy wee ground and a throwback to Scottish football of yesteryear, this game is simply too grim a prospect to consider attending.  Silverton End is entirely correct in trying to whip up some enthusiasm  but I fear that it will be too much to expect a group of players which has recently been getting battered on almost on a twice-weekly basis to suddenly up their game and their confidence* sufficiently to keep the club up.  We already have so many guys out injured with Mango presumably suspended after today that another potential three fixtures looks a huge ask.  

* In some cases attitude.

Although.............