Sons' sorrow

It's probably more of a coincidence than anything, but it certainly doesn't look great on paper.

In saying that Boris really impressed everybody at the weekend, and goalkeeper isn't a position we've been blessed in this season. Grant Adam has been injured most of the time, and when he isn't injured he's making totally mental decisions to fly out for balls that are never his, and smack drop kicks off his teammates' back. Smith looked steady enough at first, but mistakes have really started to creep in, and he's been culpable for quite a few goals this season. McGowan didn't seem to make saves, and Robbie Mutch crumbled as soon as he made a mistake against Arbroath.

Out of all of them Mutch is the only one I'd maybe be moderately happy with having as our #1 for the rest of the season, but even he conceded six goals in his two games. 

Where have all the good goalkeepers gone? Mark McCallum and Graeme Smith aside, I've really not really been impressed by any this season.

DJ been class for us too tbf

I know it's over-dramatic and all, but I kind of feel like today could play a massive role in deciding what league we're preparing for come May.

We've created very little without Dom Thomas, and I'm hopeful that Boris might be the man to chuck himself on the end of his inviting crosses. 

End today without him and I'll still feel pretty pessimistic about things, bring him back and I'll have a wee bit more confidence that survival is possible.

4 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I know it's over-dramatic and all, but I kind of feel like today could play a massive role in deciding what league we're preparing for come May.

We've created very little without Dom Thomas, and I'm hopeful that Boris might be the man to chuck himself on the end of his inviting crosses. 

End today without him and I'll still feel pretty pessimistic about things, bring him back and I'll have a wee bit more confidence that survival is possible.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

The squad doesn't appear to be much stronger than it was at the start of the window, particularly in an attacking sense. Given how the first half of the season progressed,  I think most observers would expect us to place 8-10 come the end of the season. We could easily tip into League 2. Or we might just survive. Either way it'll be fine margins.

The thing is that at this level there isn't a lot between the actual ability of all the players in all the teams. What separates most of us is the desire of the players each club has along with the ability of the manager to set them up and motivate them. Unfortunately this season we haven't had either. In the few seasons we had in the championship we naturally had motivation to prove everyone wrong that we weren't going to be relegated, plus we had some decent loanees who had points to prove to their mother clubs. We also had Sir Ian Murray then Stevie who took us on and wanted to prove a point.
Fast forward to this season and we started with a manager who couldn't be arsed, he knew he had reached his peak with us and really didn't want to be here. We also signed players that on paper looked great but realistically lacked the fight for this level, a bunch of jobbers who had/have nothing to prove. Hutton, Perry, Adam, Loy, Barr, Dowie, Forbes, Little, Paton. All of them know they are never going to play at a higher level again in their careers so they seem just happy to come pick up a pay packet. Dowie for one, our captain, clearly had other things on his mind and his performances showed such.
Duffy comes in and we hoped for miracles, unfortunately he can't motivate players who don't want to be motivated, which is how it seems. However he should, in my opinion, be sorting out the issue by bringing in some young hungry boys on loan. If he doesn't do so in the next day (or after if we are allowed) then I really fear for us as Duffys impact hasn't had the desired effect.

The thing is that at this level there isn't a lot between the actual ability of all the players in all the teams. What separates most of us is the desire of the players each club has along with the ability of the manager to set them up and motivate them. Unfortunately this season we haven't had either.

One thing we've seriously lacked in the last 2 seasons is players who will run through a brick wall for the team. Three seasons ago we had Fleming, Docherty, Buchanan, Darren Barr, Vaughan and Stirling and we've struggled to replace them. That team had a real spirit and togetherness, christ one of them was on loan from a relegation rival and he looked like he was having the time of his life. Guys like Docherty and Fleming may not be the most gifted of players in a technical sense but what they bring to a team should never be underestimated.

We simply don't have those type of players in our team and any successful team at this level needs that. I understand the quality of player will be lower in League 1 but when you compare those players to the ones we have just now in terms of their attitude and application they are miles apart.

Arguably only Craig Barr and Cammy Ballantyne come close to displaying that sort of attitude in our current team. Perhaps Carswell could be included in that list to a lesser extent. It's all well and good having guys like Forbes swaning around the park but you need to compliment his technique with workers.

Lets hope some of the new guys will give us what we're lacking because in all honesty we're soft as shit both mentally and phsyically.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Thomas can still sign for us after the window, I believe.

I don’t think any of the signing or even returning players can pull us out of this double relegation.

I’ve tried to be positive but with the way we have been playing away from home and the next run of games I am not filled with confidence.

But I suppose a relegation fight to the last day may bring some more fans down and get more money in the gate.

Silver lining I suppose.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Thomas can still sign for us after the window, I believe.

This better not become a full two month transfer saga.

I didn't know that though, I knew the loan deadlines were extended in the summer for clubs below the Championship, but I didn't know it was the same in the winter window. @Skyline Drifter can you confirm if I can stop refreshing the website after tonight or not?

On 26/01/2019 at 17:34, Howlin' Wilf said:

I have a friend who is a keen Morton fan. Duffy has serious form in baffling positional selections.

Can confirm this is true. He makes daft selections every week, even changes a winning team to play players out of position. We were on a good run last season from start of December (IIRC) through to the end of Jan, including a brilliant 3-0 win at Tannadice, then he changed it for no apparent reason (there were no injuries) and we won 2/3 of our remaining league games. He also started us in a derby match against St Mirren with 2 CB's playing at CM and 2 CM's playing on the wing, when we had a winger on the bench :lol: 

Opposition fans quite often mocked us for moaning about Duffy as he did relatively well with us, but he routinely ruined things when they were going well for no reason. It was always a "what could have been" with Jim.

Connor Brennan wasn't as bad for us at Raith fans have made out. Don't recall him doing anything wrong tbh. 

16 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

This better not become a full two month transfer saga.

I didn't know that though, I knew the loan deadlines were extended in the summer for clubs below the Championship, but I didn't know it was the same in the winter window. @Skyline Drifter can you confirm if I can stop refreshing the website after tonight or not?

I no longer care for the rules, it's too hard to keep up.  If someone tells me we can sign Dom Thomas after the window then I god damn believe we can sign Dom Thomas after the window.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I no longer care for the rules, it's too hard to keep up.  If someone tells me we can sign Dom Thomas after the window then I god damn believe we can sign Dom Thomas after the window.

Had a dig about for SD's loan posting from the start of the season that I bookmarked (yup, I know, weirdo), and you are indeed correct.

We're going to sign him at the end of February having lost every game between now and then, aren't we?

Maximum of 4 loans at once (one from any club in the same division and two at most from a club in another division).

League 1 & 2 clubs can bring in a loan player in September and February also, effectively a one month extension on both windows. We can't bring one in outside a window but we could lend one out downwards obviously.

7 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

We're going to sign him at the end of February having lost every game between now and then, aren't we?

I would hope not.  I must admit I'm struggling to figure out why it's not a done deal already.  Dom Thomas can only play for us or Killie, he won't play for Killie and will likely be released in the summer/sent out on loan again for a year, we want Dom Thomas - surely all of those things equal Dom Thomas joining us for the rest of the season?

Killie gain nothing from holding onto him and they've been happy to let Greg Kiltie and Ian Wilson go out on loan recently, two players who have had far bigger impact on Killie's first team than DT has. He's obviously Killie's player and they are free to do what they want with him but I struggle to see logic in keeping him.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I would hope not.  I must admit I'm struggling to figure out why it's not a done deal already.  Dom Thomas can only play for us or Killie, he won't play for Killie and will likely be released in the summer/sent out on loan again for a year, we want Dom Thomas - surely all of those things equal Dom Thomas joining us for the rest of the season?

Killie gain nothing from holding onto him and they've been happy to let Greg Kiltie and Ian Wilson go out on loan recently, two players who have had far bigger impact on Killie's first team than DT has. He's obviously Killie's player and they are free to do what they want with him but I struggle to see logic in keeping him.

The only thing I can think of is that Killie want him playing in Ireland (at a higher level than the League One) but he doesn't fancy the move - probably because of his soccer school.

Clearly the best outcome is that he ends up at us, continues to build his business, impresses on the pitch and gets a decent full-time permanent move to someone like Queen of the South or Ayr United in the summer.

We want him, he would appear to be surplus to requirements at killie.

Has anyone maybe thought that he himself doesn’t want to play for us ?

Quite happy to go to training each day and play reserve games and collect his wage. I’m sure killie facilities are a much higher standard than ours.

This might be the case rather than getting involved in a relegation dog fight when there is a good chance we will go down. I doubt he would want that on his CV.

Sorry for being a pessimist but that could be the truth of the matter.

8 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

We want him, he would appear to be surplus to requirements at killie.

Has anyone maybe thought that he himself doesn’t want to play for us ?

Quite happy to go to training each day and play reserve games and collect his wage. I’m sure killie facilities are a much higher standard than ours.

This might be the case rather than getting involved in a relegation dog fight when there is a good chance we will go down. I doubt he would want that on his CV.

Sorry for being a pessimist but that could be the truth of the matter.

I mean it could be that, but I get the impression that he's just a guy who absolutely loves playing football - and wouldn't be happy just picking up a wage from training five times a week.

Reading and listening back to interviews you can see how passionate he is about it, and in his performances for us he didn't look like a guy wondering why he was kicking about the wrong end of League One (unlike quite a few others this season).

I could be totally wrong, but I think he just wants to play competitive football every week - be that with us, Killie or whoever can offer him it. 

Edited by Ross Forbes