Sons' sorrow

Murray was ruthless enough in getting rid of fans favourites like Pat Walker plus the likes of Martin McNiff & Kevin Smith when they clearly were no longer in his plans.

The Steven McDougall contract is a strange one indeed. All I can think is he reckons he will get a run in the team if Megginson is away. McDougall was decent the previous season but was disinterested before Murray arrived.

Let's not forget that this squad took us to the SC quarter final plus our highest finish in years. Perhaps we'll use the prize money for 5th place to secure the bulk of the current squad plus a few quality additions.

Just for the record Mike, the signings thus far do not constitute the squad for last season, and none of the really significant contributors, eg McGinn, Linton, Megginson, Nish, Kane and Miller has yet put pen to paper. I was really surprised that Murray made offers to virtually everyone and I can't say I'm ecstatic about some of those who are staying - some folks here forget how lightweight in midfield we can look at times for example.

What is becoming clear though is that far from the bonanza the rest of the world seems to think having Rangers, Hearts and possibly Hibs will be this season for DFC, it could be a serious blow to our team-building as clubs like Raith, QoS, Livvy, Alloa, etc., are free mortgage the potential income from four or more virtual full houses on players wages, whilst our wee house simply won't permit that.

I think that Smith will be given pre-season to get himself fit. I think he's a good option to have as cover, if he can get himself to a stage where he actually looks like a footballer. I hope Murray doesn't offer him a contract until then though.

I was thinking along those lines too. Smith looked a great acquisition when he first came to the club, benefiting from the full-time training at Hibs. He has obviously got the type of metabolism / physique which piles on the pounds if his eating habits and training regime isn't spot on. Hopefully, Smith will realise this is his last chance - plus the opportunity to potentially play against Hibs, the club which didn't rate him - and get himself back to his previous shape before being offered a deal.

Just for the record Mike, the signings thus far do not constitute the squad for last season, and none of the really significant contributors, eg McGinn, Linton, Megginson, Nish, Kane and Miller has yet put pen to paper.

Agreed, but If you re-read my post I said the "bulk" of the squad.

If Stevie May and Steven McLean stay at St. Johnstone I am hopeful we can get Chris Kane for another year. They loaned Stevie May our for more than one season and that definitely benefited him and the club.

Colin Nish was having a very poor season for us until we signed Chris Kane on loan. They formed a great understanding and partnership. However, If we don't get Kane back then I don't see Nish as critical. His role as U19 coach may secure his signature anyway.

We all saw Linton as back-up to Scott Smith at the time. I agree he was tremendous but if Smith can get himself truly fit then we have a ready made replacement right there.

Paul McGinn plus a quality goal-keeper, midfielder and a proven goalscorer are the most important signings for me to add to the bones of a decent squad.

Sorry but why are we suggesting giving Smith a chance to prove his fitness? He didn't take care of his shape last summer and from the outside looking at it, made very little attempt to remedy that during the season. Aye, he was a useful player 2 seasons ago but nothing from last season suggested to me he was worth keeping. In seasons gone by we'd have punted players like Smith and MacDougall without a thought but now we're seemingly judging players on irrelevant form.

All that said, I'm happy to trust Murrays judgement. I've got a feeling he kinda knows what he's doing.

Sorry but why are we suggesting giving Smith a chance to prove his fitness?

All that said, I'm happy to trust Murrays judgement. I've got a feeling he kinda knows what he's doing.

I think you've answered your own question....it's because Murray obviously sees enough there to merit an offer and he hasn't got much wrong so far. All we're trying to work out is WHY Murray has offered the likes of Ewings, Grindlay, Smith and McDougall a further deal when most of us were convinced they would be released.

Why are we suggesting Murray might be giving Smith a chance to prove his fitness? Because he was a cracking left-back (utility player) who, for reasons we may not be privy to, lost his fitness. Scott Smith has something to prove and perhaps Murray is giving his that chance.

So they bump up season ticket prices to give squad players extra money :ph34r:

does look like that a bit so far.....hard to find fault with much Murray has done so far, so we will need to wait and see who else he brings in, ie new faces

Why are we suggesting Murray might be giving Smith a chance to prove his fitness? Because he was a cracking left-back (utility player) who, for reasons we may not be privy to, lost his fitness. Scott Smith has something to prove and perhaps Murray is giving his that chance.

Have to say I agree with that. Scott Smith isn't a bad player because his fitness went to hell. He is still really young and obviously Murray reckons he deserves another chance. I think it is fair or him to say, 'if you get your fitness back to what is was (or thereabouts) then you can have a contract'... He made a mistake and struggled to recover throughout the season. Seems he has one last chance now. I would still like Scott Smith as part of our squad if he is fit.

f**k me sideways. We have the biggest greetin faced fans on the planet. Trust Murray's judgement and enjoy being a sons fan. I know its un-sons like to enjoy yourself but lighten up. It's the negativity of some folk that will put fans off not a wee rise in season ticket prices.

f**k me sideways. We have the biggest greetin faced fans on the planet. Trust Murray's judgement and enjoy being a sons fan. I know its un-sons like to enjoy yourself but lighten up. It's the negativity of some folk that will put fans off not a wee rise in season ticket prices.

How true snudge ,we had a spell like this in the 70s

Just fuckin enjoy it , cos sure as shite on a shovel, some day we will end up down the bottom again.

In 40 years time your grandson will be asking what it was like when we got to the giddy heights of 17 in Scottish football

So we should pretend we're happy that passengers like McDougall and Smith have been offered contracts?

I don't think anyone is criticising Murray or forgetting how good we have it just now but it doesn't mean we cant vent our frustrations on an open internet forum. Some folk may be happy with the signings but I personally feel we can free up the wages and replace these guys with better players that would improve the squad. I don't particularly think that makes someone negative.

FWIW do either of you feel Smith and McDougall have done enough to justify a new contract? I certainly dont.

So we should pretend we're happy that passengers like McDougall and Smith have been offered contracts?

I don't think anyone is criticising Murray or forgetting how good we have it just now but it doesn't mean we cant vent our frustrations on an open internet forum. Some folk may be happy with the signings but I personally feel we can free up the wages and replace these guys with better players that would improve the squad. I don't particularly think that makes someone negative.

FWIW do either of you feel Smith and McDougall have done enough to justify a new contract? I certainly dont.

This, with knobs on. Far from being greetin' faced fans, we're the most criticism-averse crowd in the league. I'll back Murray and the team to the hilt but I'll also reserve the right to criticise constructively and without cheap personal stuff.

This is going to be one tough shift this coming season and the pack needs freshened; retaining guys like McDougall, Smith and Ewings simply doesn't cut it for me.

Agree with Kit, the goalkeeping situation needs sorted and re-signing Jamie Ewings does not do that due to his regular mishaps!!

McDougall can do it on the pitch but it depends which McDougall turns up, An okay squad player for m0e.

Smith well he looks good when came on loan from Hibs but after being released and securing a part time job in Greggs, then he ate
his wages, so we will see what happens.

Linton, McGinn, megginson, Nish, Miller and Kane back are priorities for me as well as some fresh blood.

Murray is no Mug and we will have a decent team I am sure of that.

Few of the cowdenbeath players would do well in our team

Edited by supersons