Sons' sorrow

I personally don't think we should be signing guys for the sole purpose of sitting on the bench. A couple of experienced heads and a backup goalkeeper aye but the rest of our signings should be players we feel improve the squad, not just there to make up the numbers.

A counter argument to that would be if players are happy to be backup will they really push themselves to break into the first team? Will they make a regular starter up his game to keep his place in the team?

As has been mentioned though Murray hasn't done much wrong thus far so I trust he knows what he's doing.

if they can't get motivated this year, they'll be off, Murray's no fool, I expect more from our fringe players next season, and I'm sure that will be drilled into them

I mean no disrespect to either OK3 or BBPF and they and others are perfectly entitled to express their views on players and the re-signing thereof. I make the point again though, is it possibly the case that Murray has surveyed the SPFL landscape and decided not to take a risk with alternative signings? That is to say that maybe he has made a list of available goalkeepers, maybe he has enquired about some, maybe he has concluded that those available would offer little or no improvement and/or higher cost?

The goalkeeping coach will have had an input here too.

I don't think there's anyone here not surprised with the signings of McDougall and Smith........but Murray knows these guys, sees them in training and obviously feels that he can improve them and get more from them. Perhaps better to offer guys like that another chance than to bring in others who are disgruntled about not getting a game?

I may be wrong and these signings may well come back to haunt him, but I for one am pleased that it is Murray who is making these decisions. We were all delighted to see him re-sign, it is maybe time to trust in him.

We'll need to agree to disagree on the goalie situation Rab, and I remain confident we'll see a new first choice keeper come August. As regards most of the other signings I'm OK with them, providing we add some real quality to the starting eleven - we lurched into last seaon on the back of a defeat at Stranraer and a hiding at Hamilton and it was the double loans of Nish and Murray which helped stabilise the ship.

In fairness to Ian Murray I think he recognises this and it may be that he has signed many of the existing squad up early to get the nucleus quickly sorted which let's him assess early what he can spend from here on in and who to target. Murray and Ross have shown themselves to be very adept with loanees and if we were to get three or four decent Premier additions in then I'd be fine with that - most deals are nowadays only for a year anyway.

As I mentioned before DFC is really disadvantaged this season by the small ground capacity which really limits revenue. If Livvy or Raith for example were to throw money at say Edinburgh-based Scott Linton then we probably couldn't hold him. Just an example of the difficulties we may face. At this stage I'm more than willing to trust Ian Murray and I'm really heartened that's he's relishing the job at Dumbarton.

We'll need to agree to disagree on the goalie situation Rab, and I remain confident we'll see a new first choice keeper come August. As regards most of the other signings I'm OK with them, providing we add some real quality to the starting eleven - we lurched into last seaon on the back of a defeat at Stranraer and a hiding at Hamilton and it was the double loans of Nish and Murray which helped stabilise the ship.

In fairness to Ian Murray I think he recognises this and it may be that he has signed many of the existing squad up early to get the nucleus quickly sorted which let's him assess early what he can spend from here on in and who to target. Murray and Ross have shown themselves to be very adept with loanees and if we were to get three or four decent Premier additions in then I'd be fine with that - most deals are nowadays only for a year anyway.

As I mentioned before DFC is really disadvantaged this season by the small ground capacity which really limits revenue. If Livvy or Raith for example were to throw money at say Edinburgh-based Scott Linton then we probably couldn't hold him. Just an example of the difficulties we may face. At this stage I'm more than willing to trust Ian Murray and I'm really heartened that's he's relishing the job at Dumbarton.

Sorry to be pedantic but Nish wasn't on loan, I can't help it :P

The first Sons season ticket I bought was in 1971-72 in the old second division when I was 11.

It was £1.50. Pay at the gate for under 16s was 10p

There was near mutiny when the price went to £2.50 and 15p the following season in the old first division.

In these days the season ticket got you into League, League Cup , Scottish Cup and all reserve games!

On gate prices, I recall paying £20 for the first division play off second leg at Airdrie.

Must have been for the stand then