Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I thought I might've struck it lucky with McAdams, ticks a lot of Duffy boxes.

Anyway, I've heard we're signing Kelby Mason.

Kelby is definitely the sort of name we're missing from our team. Right behind this one.

Unless I'm mistaken, he was on loan there last season and has been released by Hearts.

Found this mate....https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/former-hearts-goalkeeper-completes-move-edinburgh-city-2912001

I am assuming he's still there but I really do not know.Its from July 13th.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

Found this mate....https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/former-hearts-goalkeeper-completes-move-edinburgh-city-2912001

I am assuming he's still there but I really do not know.Its from July 13th.

Well that's that one fucked then.

I've heard we're signing Jim Leighton.

The mention of Grindlay got me thinking - is Jamie Ewings not due a testimonial now? Pretty sure that's 10 years of service this coming season. 

Hadn't thought of that, but you are spot on. This will be his tenth season with us - signed in June 2011.

Lets get the playoff team back together to take on Jamie's All Stars or something. I want to see  Bryan Prunty, Pat Walker, Scott Agnew and Kevin Nicol back in Sons shirts.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Speaking of keepers I didn't realise until the other day that Shay had signed for WoS League big spenders St Cadocs (along with Mark Stewart).

So I guess we can cross him off the list now.

Mark McLaughlin is coaching there too.

13 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

@Jan Vojáček what’s the latest with big Rohan? Surely he must still be on Jim’s radar?

Twas not my rumour I'm afraid, think @ewan_fife was to blame for it. Last I read Ferguson was training with Falkirk.

Duffy is not the sort to give anything away transfer wise. He might say "We've got deals agreed with three or four in principal" or "I'm hoping to get one over the line later in the week" - but he won't give names or anything until it's signed, sealed and registered. Quite different to his predecessor in that regard.

Twas not my rumour I'm afraid, think [mention=59245]ewan_fife[/mention] was to blame for it. Last I read Ferguson was training with Falkirk.
Duffy is not the sort to give anything away transfer wise. He might say "We've got deals agreed with three or four in principal" or "I'm hoping to get one over the line later in the week" - but he won't give names or anything until it's signed, sealed and registered. Quite different to his predecessor in that regard.

In regards to your last sentence, for ‘different read ‘better’ imo.

Quick question for Dumbarton fans, I was searching old newspapers from 1905 and the Dumbarton team in Scottish Combination for 1905/6 is described as a new club. Whats the story there, did the team that won the league in 1890/1 and 1891/2 become  defunct?

Dumbarton went amateur in 1896 but despite that they reached the Scottish Cup final in 1897. However at the end of that season they were voted out of the Scottish league. For the next few years they played friendlies along with Scottish cup and Dumbartonshire cup ties. But by 1901 they couldn’t fulfil fixtures and it appears that the club disbanded. In 1905 the club was started again and initially it looked like this club would have no connection with the previous club. But by the start of season 1905:06 it was clear that the S F A and league accepted it as the same club. They played at Boghead again kept the black and gold colours and had access to whatever had been left of the club funds. So I would guess that the report you read simply wasn’t aware of the fact the it was the same club even although they hadn’t played for four years

Continuing on a history theme, team photo from 1925.
IMG_20200905_122402.thumb.jpg.e330513b56179387db984cfe5444d081.jpg
I reckon that pic was taken on 6th December 1924. The Brooks in it only played three times for the club and the other twice had different line ups. It was a 1-0 win against Bo'ness at Boghead with Frank Carlow scoring the goal.

13 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Apparently big nat wedderburn had an absolutely solid offer on the table from kelty, but the big man chose to play at the highest level available to him.

Fair f*cks to the big man for his decision ,👍

That is a great sign, he is still ambitious and not in it just for cash???.I remember feeling bewildered when Bobby Barr who had a great second half of the season in 18/19 left us for the 'shire.

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

That is a great sign, he is still ambitious and not in it just for cash???.I remember feeling bewildered when Bobby Barr who had a great second half of the season in 18/19 left us for the 'shire.

Very few and far between nowadays, too many guys see an extra £50 - £100 a week and are off at the first sniff of it.

The big man's surprised me there, it would have been easy to go to kelty, strolled 80% of the games against absolute garbage but he's chosen to continually test himself in what will be a hell of a difficult league for EVERY team, and he's earned a lot of respect from me for that decision.