Sons' sorrow

13 hours ago, microdave said:

Apparently it's 1.5k for testing for one match but we'd get 20k for finishing bottom of the group. I don't think we'll have any gate receipts at all from this tournament so I suppose it comes down to how much we need that 1.5k. The board won't forfeit a match unless we absolutely have to, so I'd back them if they feel that is the only course of action open to us.

I get this but we play the game, pay £1500, lose, pick up potential injuries, finish bottom and get 20k. Or don't play, forfeit, finish bottom and get 20k. Seems a no brainer to me.

It would have been a whole lot easier if this season had concentrated only on the League and the Scottish Cup, but that would have been far too sensible for our legislators.

It would also have been a bit daft given the prize money available. Twenty thousand for finishing bottom of the group makes it worthwhile even if we have to pay for testing. If we can forfeit the Killie game tho I think it would be worth it to save the £1500

It would also have been a bit daft given the prize money available. Twenty thousand for finishing bottom of the group makes it worthwhile even if we have to pay for testing. If we can forfeit the Killie game tho I think it would be worth it to save the £1500
Forfeiting games ? Really ? Is that what Dumbarton FC has come to ? As I originally posted, surely it would have been better for the Scottish football authorities to have concentrated on supporting every club to participate with integrity, and the best way of doing that was to limit the exposure to the two main tournaments.

Forfeiting games ? Really ? Is that what Dumbarton FC has come to ? As I originally posted, surely it would have been better for the Scottish football authorities to have concentrated on supporting every club to participate with integrity, and the best way of doing that was to limit the exposure to the two main tournaments.

But getting rid of the league cup would just be throwing money away. The sponsors money for that tournament wouldn’t have been transferred elsewhere. Better to keep that money in the game surely

I see Thistle had some major issues with their stream at the weekend (they have the same new technology as ourselves). I really hope we stream a friendly or two before the real stuff starts so we can iron out any potential issues/get everything perfect for the competitive matches. I also want to see some trialists in action please DFC.

I see Thistle had some major issues with their stream at the weekend (they have the same new technology as ourselves). I really hope we stream a friendly or two before the real stuff starts so we can iron out any potential issues/get everything perfect for the competitive matches. I also want to see some trialists in action please DFC.

Nice sentiment, but to show us streams of friendly matches would mean giving us advanced notice of a closed door friendly match taking place.
We couldn’t have that now, could we ? Tut, tut the very thought ...

28 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Nice sentiment, but to show us streams of friendly matches would mean giving us advanced notice of a closed door friendly match taking place.
We couldn’t have that now, could we ? Tut, tut the very thought ...

It is frustrating that there's not any notice of these games but I do understand the reasons for it. Take Partick for example, you've got a fan on their thread admitting they showed up to the ground on Saturday and watched the match from the canal bank and there was another group there watching too. Clubs will be keen to avoid any outbreaks among fans before we're even allowed back in the stadiums as it would almost certainly be confirmation for the Scottish Government that big bad football fans cannot be trusted.

If streaming is going to be the main way that we watch football this season, and with further restrictions expected I wouldn't be hopeful of getting into a ground this side of Christmas, then we need to do a couple of test streams. Would like to see us run a free test of a closed door friendly game and a small paid for test to make sure that the e-commerce platform is working. Even if it's a nominal fee of a couple of quid to test the service, with everybody paying the nominal fee entered into a draw for a signed shirt or something daft like that. Overall numbers shouldn't put too much strain on the streaming server, but if its the same company providing the service for all clubs then I'd definitely want some kind of stress testing on a match day. I've seen the good and bad of sports streaming with hockey streams over the past decade. Some worked well whilst others were an absolute joke. We need to make sure that our system works.

40 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If streaming is going to be the main way that we watch football this season, and with further restrictions expected I wouldn't be hopeful of getting into a ground this side of Christmas, then we need to do a couple of test streams. Would like to see us run a free test of a closed door friendly game and a small paid for test to make sure that the e-commerce platform is working. Even if it's a nominal fee of a couple of quid to test the service, with everybody paying the nominal fee entered into a draw for a signed shirt or something daft like that. Overall numbers shouldn't put too much strain on the streaming server, but if its the same company providing the service for all clubs then I'd definitely want some kind of stress testing on a match day. I've seen the good and bad of sports streaming with hockey streams over the past decade. Some worked well whilst others were an absolute joke. We need to make sure that our system works.

Given how much our fans like to complain, can you begin to imagine the uproar if they have paid full whack for a stream and it goes tits up.

If we are charging folk for a service it absolutely needs tested IMO.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Given how much our fans like to complain, can you begin to imagine the uproar if they have paid full whack for a stream and it goes tits up.

If we are charging folk for a service it absolutely needs tested IMO.

Given the age of our support, I do wonder if many of them will struggle to connect to the stream in the first place. We might need a C&G style presentation down the stadium, but instead of "rail safety" for kids it's "how to watch a stream online" for doddery auld folks.

Given the age of our support, I do wonder if many of them will struggle to connect to the stream in the first place. We might need a C&G style presentation down the stadium, but instead of "rail safety" for kids it's "how to watch a stream online" for doddery auld folks.
It was probably doddery auld folk who laid the groundwork for this technology [emoji6]

I would hope that we were fully aware this was a possibility and have a plan in place to make sure we can meet our obligations with no fans. Need to hope enough people want to pay for a stream of the matches and that the goodwill of supporters will see us through. 

Can't help but think the owners are licking their lips at the moment though...

I would hope that we were fully aware this was a possibility and have a plan in place to make sure we can meet our obligations with no fans. Need to hope enough people want to pay for a stream of the matches and that the goodwill of supporters will see us through. 
Can't help but think the owners are licking their lips at the moment though...
Does anyone know if the streaming kit has been successfully trialled ? If it has then would it be possible to metaphorically convert the paper season ticket into a cyber version. With the likelihood that it could be a long time before anyone is allowed back in the club could push this really hard to a wider home fan base than normal, raising revenue in the process.

Hopefully the streaming of matches is a success. What percentage of walk up fans on an average matchday be? My guess would be about 50% so that's quite a lot to make up. Obviously there would be fewer overheads but that wouldn't come close to making up that sort of shortfall.

52 minutes ago, microdave said:

Hopefully the streaming of matches is a success. What percentage of walk up fans on an average matchday be? My guess would be about 50% so that's quite a lot to make up. Obviously there would be fewer overheads but that wouldn't come close to making up that sort of shortfall.

Surely we could make up 0art of the shortfall by streaming abroad / out 9f area? 

Or do the rules prevent that? *

*surely in this situation, the rules could be temporarily waived? We won't be the only club needing a little help.