Sons' sorrow

Guest The Phoenix
6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

They all papped out?

I didn't even think to check that.

Yip.  Probably a blessing for them in many ways. 

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Have you heard something or just guessing/hoping?

Bit of both...going by the twitter feed about a hard-hitting Monday..but i think it was about schools going back!!!.But seriously we should get some new bodies in soon..we are well well short of what is needed .At least 4 new faces IMO .No excuses for not having time...JD has had players offered to him so he needs to move fast.Im not betting my life on that though.

On 13/03/2021 at 12:57, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 13/03/2021 at 12:49, Jan Vojáček said:
We're 1-0 up at half-time against Stranraer at Holm Park, Jaime Wilson with his third goal there this season. I got a buzz from just seeing the action shots to be honest. 

Please tell us there are some very impressive trialists in the line-up. Serious please.

There were trialists involved - whether they were very impressive or not, who knows..

Stranraer have popped highlights up. Fantastic goal from Jaime Wilson it has to be said. I really do think we have a good player on our hands in him, but it's about playing him regularly in the right position so he can show that fully.

The changes we made in the second-half didn't look to work at all. It looks from those like Stranraer ran all over us as the game went on - even if Wardrop (I think?) was only denied by a smashing save at the end. Both goals were too easy, even if the second was a lovely finish. 

On the trialist front, the goalkeeper reminds me of Sam Ramsbottom - formerly of Morton, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that one. He had a dire time at Cappielow, but I watched a podcast with him last month and it was hard not to feel as if he deserves another crack at Scottish football. Could he do a job for us? I'd probably be willing to give him a chance - especially given we're hardly blessed with Zoff and Yashin as our goalkeeping options.

I'm guessing the #9 was a trialist too. He looks like a PJ Crossan clone. I initially thought it was PJ and had to double take when I saw we had a #24 playing as well. Hard to tell how he did from those highlights.

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

On the trialist front, the goalkeeper reminds me of Sam Ramsbottom - formerly of Morton, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that one.

Aye, that's Ramsbottom. 

Ticks a few Duffy boxes - ex-Morton, utter shite and on his way out of senior football. It's almost as if Duffy gets a kick out of being completely uninspiring in absolutely every way. 

EDIT - Forbes looks pretty slim there, appears to have put some good work in through lock down!

Edited by The Moonster

Ramsbottom might be a nice guy and all that but he is legitimately the worst goalkeeper I've seen. He's alright at making himself big when someone gets through one on one but he's terrrible at literally everything else. It's not like he's bad but has skills there which could see him improve with coaching, he's just not got the fundamental basics to be a professional goalkeeper.

On 01/03/2021 at 09:33, Jan Vojáček said:

Our fans really don't like an aesthetically displeasing striker, do they.

Speaking of Chris Kane, by all accounts he was absolutely excellent yesterday for St Johnstone in the League Cup final. I'm delighted he's finally starting to show Saints fans how talented he is - and is finally getting a start every week. The goals might not be as free-flowing as they were for him at the Rock, but his all-round play seems to be causing all sorts of problems for defenders. I'm really pleased for him.

Kanes been excellent all season, to the point I'm wondering how much of a negative effect Tommy Wright had on him. Publicly named him as a striker who worked hard for others, and his role seemed to be simply run about lots for the benefit of others.

Got a bit of freedom to be "greedier" this season, and it's paying off. 

35 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

Sam Ramsbottom, Conner Duthie, Keiran McGrath

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1090366/conner-duthie-cannabis-stenhousemuir

Due to the compliance of the 23-year-old, the ban started from the earliest possible date, meaning he will be eligible to play again on March 15 2021.

3 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I feel like it’ll be some sort of miracle if we make it through the set of fixtures on the 6th, 8th and 10th of April...

Holy moly that fixture list is compacted. I cannot believe that clubs agreed to 22 games.

Anyway, we'd be as well partnering up with a Lowland League side and howking over most of their squad. We're close with BSC so they'd be the natural option. To play that amount of football in such a short period needs a squad of 22/24 as a minimum. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček

12 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I feel like it’ll be some sort of miracle if we make it through the set of fixtures on the 6th, 8th and 10th of April...

We also have three fixtures the week before on the 27th of March the 30th and the 1st of April. Six games in the space of two weeks with a ramshackle threadbare squad of jobbers is going to be an absolute hoot. We’ll be lucky if we can even get 11 players on the pitch nevermind being competitive.

It’s actually hilarious. I was so preoccupied with the run in April that I hadn’t clocked the run of 20th, 23rd, 27th, 30th and 1st is arguably worse. 

Throw in the potential of more Scottish Cup games and things could get really wild.