Sons' sorrow

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Didn't Dumbarton finish bottom of the whole SPFL under McCabe? Lunacy to say the current team is worse than that.

We escaped finishing bottom on the last day of the season, but that was after Chapman came in.

With everyone being out of contract and the likelihood of Duffy getting canned, I could see a complete rebuilt happening over the Summer. If a new manager comes in, I don't know how much trust they are going to put in players that they don't know and that finished 8th or 9th in the league.

Who knows, maybe we will end up with a Scandinavian manager with the way things are going. 😬

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I came on board at the Paul Martin relegation season, who was quickly followed by Gerry McCabe. This team is at least as bad as those, and still may yet be relegated.

Paul Martin had a pretty decent team at his disposal (Beany, Rodgers etc). He just got nothing out of them.

I don’t think Quitongo is as good as we all first thought. His distribution is absolutely woeful and he is really bad for just hoofing it. Defensively he’s average at best. I’m going ruthless this year so sorry Rico but PUNT!

The only players I’d like to see return are as follows:

Nick McAllister (via either loan or free transfer)
Sam Wardrop
One of McGeever/Neill 

That may seem harsh but the rest can go. At a push I’d like to see wee Wallace given a chance if Morton punt him but in reality, despite looking fairly handy, he hasn’t contributed a great deal. Nick McAllister has been our best player since he arrived and the fact he’s managed to do that whilst being shunted around 3 or 4 different positions speaks volumes. I’m a massive fan of his and I’d be pushing the boat out to get him back.

The McGeever and Neil partnership has been solid defensively and fair play to them both but unfortunately it’s the root of a lot of the lack of football we play. Neither of them are blessed with very good distribution. I think we could be doing with someone in there who is more composed on the ball (could Nick McAllister be the answer there?). I think I prefer Neill to McGeever overall but it’s much of a muchness.

The entire midfield and forward line can go. I wouldn’t keep a single one of them. Big Wedderburn is decent enough on the ball and I do like him but i’ve spent about the last 4 years watching a central midfield pairing of Carswell + one other slow lumbering partner. I want a bit of dynamism in there for once. 

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Paul Martin had a pretty decent team at his disposal (Beany, Rodgers etc). He just got nothing out of them.

That team, unlike this team, scored plenty and conceded plenty.

The days of having the likes of Murray, Turner, Agnew, Gilhaney, Geggan, Guido, Clark, Boyle, Carcary et al seem a long time ago now.

17 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Didn't Dumbarton finish bottom of the whole SPFL under McCabe? Lunacy to say the current team is worse than that.

I think a bit of context is required here, it’s not as black and white as that. Arguably the standard overall was better back then and there is absolutely no denying that McCabe had better players at his disposal than what we currently have in our squad. We had Stephen fucking Dobbie banging them in at one point under him. McCabe just had absolutely nae clue what he was doing.

In short I’d say the squad under McCabe was better than our current mob. 

5 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

That team, unlike this team, scored plenty and conceded plenty.

The days of having the likes of Murray, Turner, Agnew, Gilhaney, Geggan, Guido, Clark, Boyle, Carcary et al seem a long time ago now.

It certainly did. I remember losing 4-5 to Ayr in the relegation season under PM. We were 3-0 down after about 12 mins, eventually got it back to 4-4 and then went on to lose. Summed that season up perfectly.

Edited by FifeSons

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

It certainly did. I remember losing 4-5 to Ayr in the relegation season under PM, where we were 3-0 down after about 12 mins, eventually got it back to 4-4 and then went on to lose. Summed up that season perfectly.

Same thing happened at the Rock against Thistle as well that season.

23 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

He had a better squad than Duffy has now, he was just a terrible manager. We scored 52 goals his first season in charge and 31 in the following season when he got bagged in November. We were shite but it was easier to watch shite than this current form of torture. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think a bit of context is required here, it’s not as black and white as that. Arguably the standard overall was better back then 

It's arguable but I'd say the general standard in L1/2 has improved since then. Certainly don't think the standard in L2 12/13 years ago was better than it is in L1 today.

Just now, The Moonster said:

He had a better squad than Duffy has now, he was just a terrible manager. We scored 52 goals his first season in charge and 31 in the following season when he got bagged in November. We were shite but it was easier to watch shite than this current form of torture. 

Aye. It must be utterly grim going through a season watching a team who don't concede much but can barely score getting beaten by the odd goal most weeks.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Same thing happened at the Rock against Thistle as well that season.

Yep, we blew a 2 goal lead to them on the last day of the season and also did the same at Firhill. We even beat Ayr 6-0 that season.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's arguable but I'd say the general standard in L1/2 has improved since then. Certainly don't think the standard in L2 12/13 years ago was better than it is in L1 today.

I never said the standard of League 2 (it was the 3rd division if we’re splitting hairs) was better than the standard of League 1 though?

Me deeming our 3rd division squad better than our current League 1 squad means nothing, half of our current squad would be lucky to make the grade in League 2.

More from the Sons chairman on other matters relating to the club tomorrow. - This statement originally said we would get the news last night

I wonder if we were expecting to lose the game last night, we were ready to bin Duffy and now we are waiting to see what happens with Clyde tomorrow.

Edited by super-son

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Yep, we blew a 2 goal lead to them on the last day of the season and also did the same at Firhill. We even beat Ayr 6-0 that season.

That Thistle game was the one they finished 4th and got into the playoffs and were promoted. Had they not won, they'd have finished 5th and stayed down, Falkirk style.

1 minute ago, super-son said:

More from the Sons chairman on other matters relating to the club tomorrow.

I wonder if we were expecting to lose the game last night, we were ready to bin Duffy and now we are waiting to see what happens with Clyde tomorrow.

Punting Duffy now would be lunacy with the playoffs starting on Saturday, absolutely not a chance that is happening.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I never said the standard of League 2 (it was the 3rd division if we’re splitting hairs) was better than the standard of League 1 though?

Me deeming our 3rd division squad better than our current League 1 squad means nothing, half of our current squad would be lucky to make the grade in League 2.

The teams of the past are far better than the current gang. They could score goals and could pass to a teammate successfully. Watching this lot has been like watching Sunday morning amateurs.