Sons' sorrow

Paton was very good for us in the run-in btw. Turner was the more exciting and tangible player but Paton played a key role as well. He brought a balance, nous, experience and steel to a midfield that was badly lacking it before he came in. My one concern about him would be he got two bad injuries in a short space of time, although that could be caveated by his season being so stop-start and having to play so many games in such a short period of time. 

I believe we were in for him as well so it's disappointing to miss out. Although I assume this is down to the algorithm or external forces which determines which of our players join Dumbarton/Stenny/QOS and vice-versa.  

1 minute ago, sonsism said:

That’s a miss for me.  We’re in danger of going from having some good experienced heads to having a team full of pensioners. Could’ve done without that one after some good business earlier in the day.

Hope he proves me wrong   S

Sorry, I can't agree; this squad is already a step change in quality from last season's and Paul Paton is a very decent addition.  I'm really hoping that the season ticket sales reflect the way the new management team are going about their business.

Airdrie’s best games last season were with Paton sitting in front of the defence, allowing Kyle Turner to drive forward. I can see something similar working for Dumbarton, Paton as a holding midfielder, McKee being given freedom to get forward and Carswell covering the space in between. 

I quite like most of the signings Stevie Farrell has made so far, certainly seems like an upgrade on last season’s team. Perhaps a lack of pace but it’s always good to have a few experienced players like Geggan and Paton in your squad at this level.

53 minutes ago, microdave said:

You must be great fun at a partyemoji6.png

Well, I'd been thinking next year ended in 2 but keeping that thought resolutely to myself.

As I did ten years ago until after the play-off final. Thoughts like those should not tempt fate by being uttered.

And....... What's a party?

(Btw, the year ending in 1 has worked well for Spurs recently hasn't it?)

Yeah it makes me think Carswell is slated to play centre back or Geggan right back.

Geggan will almost certainly play RB for you guys now that you’ve signed Paton. Can’t imagine there will be much running about between Paton and Geggan.

It’s a fairly solid base that you guys have got now albeit a bit short on quality up front. Plenty of experience though which should see you do okay if anything.

My main concern re: Paton was a central midfield of him and Carswell but depending how Faz sets us up it might be fine.  

Happy to take on some young guys such as Lynch too cause it gives us more cover for some of the older guys.

Overall, a very solid day at the office and it’s refreshing to see us have a large amount of players sorted prior to preseason training.