Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That's us now kept a clean sheet against every side in the league. That can't be something that's happened very often before?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sounds the @microdave horn 📯

I've only checked since we moved to a permanent 10 team league in 94/95 and there's only one instance since then. That was in 2006/07 under Gerry McCabe. We kept 13 clean sheets in total. 

And to add to the post above, since three points for a win was introduced (also) in 94/95, the biggest points total we've had after 3/4 of the season is 46 in (also) 94/95. We currently have 50 points with two games to go until the 3/4 mark.

Eta Our highest points total for a season is 67 in 08/09.

Edited by microdave

I didn’t think it was actually possible but we have a clear winner for the biggest whopper on the Facebook group, who just seems to have appeared this season in yon Italian sounding character. His latest nonsense post is total word salad and I had to laugh at him and the kiddy on hard man discussing our season so far in real depth when neither of them go to games. What a collection of losers! 

Out of interest, how did the meet the manager thing go last night? - ignore that, just clocked it’s on the 11th of March.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I didn’t think it was actually possible but we have a clear winner for the biggest whopper on the Facebook group, who just seems to have appeared this season in yon Italian sounding character. His latest nonsense post is total word salad and I had to laugh at him and the kiddy on hard man discussing our season so far in real depth when neither of them go to games. What a collection of losers! 

Out of interest, how did the meet the manager thing go last night? - ignore that, just clocked it’s on the 11th of March.

Can't see the post. What's the hampden?

It's a bit strange being top of the league at this time of year and our top goalscorer is a central defender. 

Not a complaint btw. I'm happy at goals being shared around rather than relying on one player.

16 hours ago, rockson said:

Since Albion Rovers and Bonnyrigg Rose still have to meet again Saturday's three points mean we cannot now finish last. My prime target for this season has been met. Anything else is a bonus.

With 53 points in the bag at this stage I'd call that more of a jackpot than a bonus. I get why the early worries were there though.  As it's turned out, Dumbarton have proved themselves to be a justified front runner for the title. Annoying as hell, but truly well done.

4 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

With 53 points in the bag at this stage I'd call that more of a jackpot than a bonus. I get why the early worries were there though.  As it's turned out, Dumbarton have proved themselves to be a justified front runner for the title. Annoying as hell, but truly well done.

I know you are trying to lull us into a false sense of security....but thanks anyway 😃

3 hours ago, Silverton End said:

I know you are trying to lull us into a false sense of security....but thanks anyway 😃

Not at all.  You've had your wobbles and so have we. Just as we have, you've always come back from them but you kept ahead. Give your side some credit mate. The one time we went top  it didn't last past the next Saturday. 

11 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Not at all.  You've had your wobbles and so have we. Just as we have, you've always come back from them but you kept ahead. Give your side some credit mate. The one time we went top  it didn't last past the next Saturday. 

So many years of watching Dumbarton has resulted in plenty of experience (and some PTSD) that when things are so good, they don't last or we come up short.

A win in the match tonight would go a long way to putting some pressure onto you guys and a big step towards our main goal of guaranteed promotion! But ultimately, the majority of our fans probably lack in confidence.

Edited by squeezebox-son

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

So many years of watching Dumbarton has resulted in plenty of experience (and some PTSD) that when things are so good, they don't last or we come up short.

Tbf, the last time we were in a title race, we won it. The last time we were in a race for the promotion play offs, we got there and won promotion. In the last 15 years, we've achieved our aim more often than not. We've only come up short twice with the relegations in 18 and 22.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

A win in the match tonight would go a long way to putting some pressure onto you guys and a big step towards our main goal of guaranteed promotion! But ultimately, the majority of our fans probably lack in confidence.

I can relate.  For me confidence comes when there's one game to go and at least four points ahead.  Anyway it's a hell of a big night for all of us and I haven't got a scooby which way it might go.

7 minutes ago, microdave said:

Tbf, the last time we were in a title race, we won it. The last time we were in a race for the promotion play offs, we got there and won promotion. In the last 15 years, we've achieved our aim more often than not. We've only come up short twice with the relegations in 18 and 22.

That is true, but we have also had a fair amount of shortfalls. 2 x playoffs, plenty of cup matches vs better opponents losing out to the odd goal, plenty of matches playing full time teams off the park and losing to the odd goal whilst in the Championship... not to mention the cup final.

But yeah, perhaps I'm being a little too pessimistic. I'm sure I'm not the only one though.