Sons' sorrow

The Carlisle right back was awesome, a cracking crosser of the ball both on the deck and in the air and a superb first touch and control. Faded a bit second half but then everyone did as the constant substitutions ruined the flow of the game.

For us, young Coleman looked accomplished, obviously his loan did him good. McCallum showed glimpses again of his great potential. Grindlay had one howler in the second half when he fucked up a punch out and Coleman saved him, but was otherwise fine. The young left back was mince. McDougall is a waste of a jersey, baffling that we re-signed him, did only one thing of note and fucked / didn't bother otherwise. Mair was decent.

The Carlisle right back was awesome, a cracking crosser of the ball both on the deck and in the air and a superb first touch and control. Faded a bit second half but then everyone did as the constant substitutions ruined the flow of the game.

I was saying the same myself at half time, controlled all of Grainger's switches brilliantly and put in some superb balls. In the second half their number 17 looked great too. Decent team.

Didn't impress me at all, the worst part was that he didn't have a left foot at all. Apparently, however, he is really a centre back, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

With Graham, Mair, McLaughlin, Coleman and Taggart all able to to play at centre back I really don't think he'd improve our squad at all. Cover for Linton at left back would be handy but based on that performance he's not the man to provide that cover.

On the performance tonight against a strong English team I think and hope to be seeing a lot more of Joe Coleman in the team this season. As Pete says I liked Mair too, talked him through the game and was pretty solid.

Difficult to really take much positive or negative from last night's game.

Wee Chris at right back did well. Contrary to what seems to be consensus on here, I thought the trialist left back did ok - distribution wasn't great but he was generally sound defensively and he made at least 1 important block in the first half where other players may well have shat themselves and failed to close the shot down.

A couple of players - big Andy Graham being one of them - were doing some work with the physio during the warm up but weren't even on the bench.

But £10 for that game was steep, particularly since 2/3 of the side were kids. Still, if the worst comes to the worst then there are a couple of youngsters in our squad who look like they'd be able to come in and do a job for us if needed and that has to be a major positive.

Chris Martin was the right back, very good player IMO.

I like that song he does about the colour yellow.

Difficult to really take much positive or negative from last night's game.

Wee Chris at right back did well. Contrary to what seems to be consensus on here, I thought the trialist left back did ok - distribution wasn't great but he was generally sound defensively and he made at least 1 important block in the first half where other players may well have shat themselves and failed to close the shot down.

A couple of players - big Andy Graham being one of them - were doing some work with the physio during the warm up but weren't even on the bench.

But £10 for that game was steep, particularly since 2/3 of the side were kids. Still, if the worst comes to the worst then there are a couple of youngsters in our squad who look like they'd be able to come in and do a job for us if needed and that has to be a major positive.

Credit whjere it's due, that block you refer to was excellent and stopped a certain goal, he put his body in the way and stopped it. However, it was a bright point in an otherwise howling performance. His general passing and positioning was very poor, almost never finding the pass and frequently sending a ball in our position to the opposing player. Looked very uncomfortable when being run at by a pacy player too, which badly exposed his shortcomings.

Having had time to think over since last night, I'm really annoyed by just how poor McDougall was last night. He was hopeless and I was surprised he lasted beyond half time. Really needs to buck up his ideas, otherwise we're paying him a wage for nothing.

Glad Joe played well, the possibility of seeing him play was the only reason I thought about going to the game last night but glad I gave it a miss.

EDIT - Anyone heard when the away kit will be out?

Edited by The Moonster

Glad Joe played well, the possibility of seeing him play was the only reason I thought about going to the game last night but glad I gave it a miss.

It was utter dross Moonster, you made the correct decision. I'm really beginning to loathe the period up to mid-August; the sooner the serious, ie league, stuff starts the better.

It was utter dross Moonster, you made the correct decision. I'm really beginning to loathe the period up to mid-August; the sooner the serious, ie league, stuff starts the better.

Yip, it's been extremely boring, we even got our squad sorted early so we didn't even have that panic this year. I'm hoping after all our experimenting last Saturday we take the Brechin game a bit more seriously.

Edited by The Moonster

Monday 7th August 1972

Dumbarton 3 Carlisle United 2

Williams, Jenkins, Wilkinson, Cushley, Bolton, Graham, Coleman, C.Gallacher, McCormack, K.Wilson, D.Wilson

Scorers: C.Gallacher (2) and K.Wilson

Sorry, don't have the substitute.

Subs were Menzies,Ruddy, McKay and Livingstone

Glad Joe played well, the possibility of seeing him play was the only reason I thought about going to the game last night but glad I gave it a miss

I also gave it a miss last night. Just thought £10 was a wee bit steep for a game where it was possible we wouldn't really see many first team players - cup games either side and what not. Made the right decision going by the reports and analysis' on here.

With regards to the away strip, I'm pretty sure someone mentioned the 1st game of the season but that wouldn't figure away to Raith (since our away kit is to be black and they play in navy blue) perhaps it is the first home game of the season?

I also gave it a miss last night. Just thought £10 was a wee bit steep for a game where it was possible we wouldn't really see many first team players - cup games either side and what not. Made the right decision going by the reports and analysis' on here.

With regards to the away strip, I'm pretty sure someone mentioned the 1st game of the season but that wouldn't figure away to Raith (since our away kit is to be black and they play in navy blue) perhaps it is the first home game of the season?

Raiths home kit is white (assuming they are still using the same as last season) so it would be the logical time to reveal it. http://shop.livesport.co.uk/collections/raith-rovers/products/2013-rrfc-home-shirt

Edit, yup the Raith home shirt is still white. http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Raith_Rovers/Raith_Rovers.htm

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Raiths home kit is white (assuming they are still using the same as last season) so it would be the logical time to reveal it. http://shop.livesport.co.uk/collections/raith-rovers/products/2013-rrfc-home-shirt

Edit, yup the Raith home shirt is still white. http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Raith_Rovers/Raith_Rovers.htm

Well yeah then, I was right first time probably! Haha. Just thought we wore the home strip when we beat Raith away late last season. But my memory isn't the greatest!

I like that song he does about the colour yellow.

Credit whjere it's due, that block you refer to was excellent and stopped a certain goal, he put his body in the way and stopped it. However, it was a bright point in an otherwise howling performance. His general passing and positioning was very poor, almost never finding the pass and frequently sending a ball in our position to the opposing player. Looked very uncomfortable when being run at by a pacy player too, which badly exposed his shortcomings.

Having had time to think over since last night, I'm really annoyed by just how poor McDougall was last night. He was hopeless and I was surprised he lasted beyond half time. Really needs to buck up his ideas, otherwise we're paying him a wage for nothing.

I think a big part of him looking uncomfortable at times was that it was McDougall who was supposed to be protecting him. Shagger constantly cut inside, left his full back really badly exposed and did little in a defensive capacity. McDougall offers his full back as much protection as a punctured johnny.

I see that's the Cat A prices for Hospitality out, £80 a head with a £10 discount for each Season Ticket holder. Bit pricey for me, especially when the same deal last season was £40 a head, granted you weren't watching Rangers, Hibs or Hearts but still. The meal is great and I've always enjoyed myself when I've went but I think it'll be the likes of Raith or Livi for me this year which at £50 is good value, IMO.

I see that's the Cat A prices for Hospitality out, £80 a head with a £10 discount for each Season Ticket holder. Bit pricey for me, especially when the same deal last season was £40 a head, granted you weren't watching Rangers, Hibs or Hearts but still. The meal is great and I've always enjoyed myself when I've went but I think it'll be the likes of Raith or Livi for me this year which at £50 is good value, IMO.

I was thinking of taking up the hospitality option, but not for that price. I imagine there will still be a decent demand for it however so I can't grudge you that.