Sons' sorrow

I thought we played the Stirling games very well. At home we took the game to them, but we played sensibly when they were on top. We got the win, looked to add to it in the first-half at Forthbank. Then essentially responded to everything the Binos did to get across the line. Tactically they have been two good showings from Faz and Franko imo.

On Saturday I'd maybe have had Blair Malcolm on for Div five minutes or so earlier if I was being picky. But I thought he played all three subs well - Malcolm added energy in midfield when it was required. And is more defensively sharp than Wilson. Graham stretched them when they went to two at the back. Blair ran down the clock and just helped cover Gallagher Lennon who had been excellent.

I was nervous for the Binos games. I just wanted us to turn up and do ourselves justice. We did that. Now I'd say I'm excited for the Spartans games. The players showed they had the bottle to deal with Stirling (who had been a fairly competent League One side for most of the season until a horrible ending/Annan finding their feet). There's no reason why they can't do the same with a side who have had a very similar season to ourselves.

The guys ran through brick walls for each other on Saturday. And Mark Durnan encapsulates this team perfectly. The guy is just a total warrior and (as I've said before) there's not another defender in League Two I'd swap him for. He's also a totally natural leader. And that's something we've not really had from a centre-half since, maybe, Mango Barr? Or Darren Barr even. That's not to take away from Sean Crighton, but Durnan just has something about him that sets him apart. Watching him makes me want to throw my body in the way of shots just to get us over the line.

There's absolutely no doubt that they are playing as far more of a team than any side we've had for a good few years. Aside from the 6-2 game, Spartans have been a pain this season. But there's nothing between either team - and we should be going in full of confidence. Just as I'm sure they will.

It's maybe not the way to look at it. But for both clubs there's an element of this being a free hit too. We finished fourth in the league. It's not all that often the fourth best team gets promoted. Spartans would probably have taken a season of consolidation this year. Now they've got a chance to get up a league probably ahead of the schedule they had in mind.

It's just great to have the buzz back. And hopefully we get a good crowd in tomorrow night.

Good luck to Dumbarton. Would prefer the Rock and the club as a whole in the league next year over Spartans. Potentially only the other grass park other than Gayfield in the division too depending on the Caley v Hamilton result which is crazy.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought we played the Stirling games very well. At home we took the game to them, but we played sensibly when they were on top. We got the win, looked to add to it in the first-half at Forthbank. Then essentially responded to everything the Binos did to get across the line. Tactically they have been two good showings from Faz and Franko imo.

On Saturday I'd maybe have had Blair Malcolm on for Div five minutes or so earlier if I was being picky. But I thought he played all three subs well - Malcolm added energy in midfield when it was required. And is more defensively sharp than Wilson. Graham stretched them when they went to two at the back. Blair ran down the clock and just helped cover Gallagher Lennon who had been excellent.

I was nervous for the Binos games. I just wanted us to turn up and do ourselves justice. We did that. Now I'd say I'm excited for the Spartans games. The players showed they had the bottle to deal with Stirling (who had been a fairly competent League One side for most of the season until a horrible ending/Annan finding their feet). There's no reason why they can't do the same with a side who have had a very similar season to ourselves.

The guys ran through brick walls for each other on Saturday. And Mark Durnan encapsulates this team perfectly. The guy is just a total warrior and (as I've said before) there's not another defender in League Two I'd swap him for. He's also a totally natural leader. And that's something we've not really had from a centre-half since, maybe, Mango Barr? Or Darren Barr even. That's not to take away from Sean Crighton, but Durnan just has something about him that sets him apart. Watching him makes me want to throw my body in the way of shots just to get us over the line.

There's absolutely no doubt that they are playing as far more of a team than any side we've had for a good few years. Aside from the 6-2 game, Spartans have been a pain this season. But there's nothing between either team - and we should be going in full of confidence. Just as I'm sure they will.

It's maybe not the way to look at it. But for both clubs there's an element of this being a free hit too. We finished fourth in the league. It's not all that often the fourth best team gets promoted. Spartans would probably have taken a season of consolidation this year. Now they've got a chance to get up a league probably ahead of the schedule they had in mind.

It's just great to have the buzz back. And hopefully we get a good crowd in tomorrow night.

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Potentially only the other grass park other than Gayfield in the division too depending on the Caley v Hamilton result which is crazy.

You say that now but wait till you see it. The last couple of seasons at the Rock has seen me switch from being a grass purest to a plastic convert. 

Ironically, I thought Spartans was one of the best artificial surfaces I've seen but that might just be because we scored 6 on it. 

Come on fellas. This has been far too positive for the Sons Sorrow thread. Has there been a spill of something into the reservoir up Carman Hill?

And I'd agree. Tie won't be easy but we shouldn't be playing with any fear. We're good enough if we play at anything near our best over the 2 legs to secure promotion. I'd give Spartans respect, but they don't worry me. We've got enough about us to do well.

We just need to show it. No regrets by the final whistle on Friday.

46 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Good luck to Dumbarton. Would prefer the Rock and the club as a whole in the league next year over Spartans. Potentially only the other grass park other than Gayfield in the division too depending on the Caley v Hamilton result which is crazy.

29 minutes ago, PWL said:

You say that now but wait till you see it. The last couple of seasons at the Rock has seen me switch from being a grass purest to a plastic convert. 

Ironically, I thought Spartans was one of the best artificial surfaces I've seen but that might just be because we scored 6 on it. 

Probably easier to say that we don't have an artifical pitch, that is true.

I am now firmly in the Believer camp.  Following on from the Forthbank '95 and Eurovision connection, the Sons kit man and myself were stood chatting in Morrisons this very morning when who should approach us but Sir Charles of Gibson, his very self.  If that isn't the omen we were looking for then I'll buy a one-way ticket to Thermopylae.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

Charlie Gibson. There's a fucking hero.

I wonder who it'll be this week.

His team beat mine in the tiebreak for first and second at the quiz on Friday 

Is that an omen?

Somewhat embarrassing conduct prior to the match tonight when sons trust director was very rude in shouting at a fellow sons trust member and refusing to speak to her.

i don’t know what this was about but shouting in public was well out of order 

52 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Somewhat embarrassing conduct prior to the match tonight when sons trust director was very rude in shouting at a fellow sons trust member and refusing to speak to her.

i don’t know what this was about but shouting in public was well out of order 

@cedrick1 that was me and your right it wasn’t right and I am sorry for that. While it doesn’t excuse the shouting , I wasn’t saying I didn’t want to speak to her, it was the person she had on the phone. This public forum isn’t the place to go into the exact detail but I hold my hands up it shouldn’t have happened.

A positive result last night and despite Spartans applying a fair bit of pressure in the second half I thought we looked pretty solid defensively, limiting them to very few clear cut chances with the exception of the one where they hit the bar when it looked easier to score. Fair play to Faz, I think we’ve got all three playoff games so far bang on in terms of tactics.

Here’s hoping we take a strong away support on Friday night to carry the boys through to promotion. 

A reminder to everyone that the end of season awards night will be hosted by the Sonstrust at the stadium on Saturday 18th May. Hopefully a full blown promotion party. Players and management will be in attendance. Tickets priced at £10 and includes a buffet. Under 18s welcome.

https://sonstrust.sumupstore.com/product/sonstrust-player-of-the-year-awards-2024

Tony's goal last night took him to 16 for the season which makes him the highest scorer in a season since Bryan Prunty got 17 in 2011/12. Jim Lister got 15 the following year. For a team that often struggles for a proper top scorer, that's a great amount for a midfielder even accounting for the 9 penalties. 

14 hours ago, microdave said:

Tony's goal last night took him to 16 for the season which makes him the highest scorer in a season since Bryan Prunty got 17 in 2011/12. Jim Lister got 15 the following year. For a team that often struggles for a proper top scorer, that's a great amount for a midfielder even accounting for the 9 penalties. 

Think I’ve said on here before but I used to play football with Tony all the time in the summer holidays, he lived in Arbroath for I’m not sure how long, he was technically a ridiculously good player.

I know that that’s just playing kick about out the backies but the guy was a step above when it come to skills and tricks etc. Honestly loving seeing the guy do well and I really really really wanted us to take him as a squad player back in the day, I’m sure he played a trial game maybe during Alan Moores time.

Best of luck for the second leg. Hope you do it. 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I know that that’s just playing kick about out the backies but the guy was a step above when it come to skills and tricks etc. Honestly loving seeing the guy do well and I really really really wanted us to take him as a squad player back in the day, I’m sure he played a trial game maybe during Alan Moores time.

Jeez oh, I had totally forgotten about Moore being Arbroath manager