Sons' sorrow

7 minutes ago, super-son said:

If the fee was more than £50 then I have no idea how we or Ross for that matter, has pulled that off!

Sensational bit of business.

Could not agree more.  Complete diving shitehawk of a player who chucked it when he took the huff making excuses to stop turning up.

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Getting a fee for Ross MacLean should go down in the history books as the greatest piece of business that Dumbarton FC have ever done.

Better than the Lewis Vaughan deal?

It's a close one. 

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Going by the gaffer comments on the official article he's been signed to be competition for the wide areas.

That's a bit of a concern. My comments below on McGuffie in response to someone who didn't like him last season. 

On 30/05/2024 at 13:56, 19QOS19 said:

He barely featured on a regular basis though. If he was signed to play wide I wouldn't want him as he has absolutely no pace. If Murphy has plans for him to play behind the striker/s then I'd be all for it. 

If he's going to be used wide I wouldn't be expecting much from. He doesn't have any pace so can't get by men in a foot race. He's technically very good though and can take the ball past people in tight spaces (play the video below from about 1.45). He'll hold onto the ball and isn't a complete shitebag in possession. Play him behind the striker and he'll be a great addition. Play him wide and he'll either sit on the bench or get moaned at by the crowd. 

https://youtu.be/waArR-GJEx4?si=3gDT6NcDcGvUUN-_

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's a bit of a concern. My comments below on McGuffie in response to someone who didn't like him last season. 

If he's going to be used wide I wouldn't be expecting much from. He doesn't have any pace so can't get by men in a foot race. He's technically very good though and can take the ball past people in tight spaces (play the video below from about 1.45). He'll hold onto the ball and isn't a complete shitebag in possession. Play him behind the striker and he'll be a great addition. Play him wide and he'll either sit on the bench or get moaned at by the crowd. 

https://youtu.be/waArR-GJEx4?si=3gDT6NcDcGvUUN-_

That’s a fantastic goal. I’d love to see a bit of that down the rock. 

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

A player I always quite liked. Seen him released recently and thought I'd be delighted if we could get a player like him on board, but didn't expect anything of it.

Not sure how he has actually been the last few years though...

He wasn't actually "released". We did speak to him about potentially returning.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

McGuffie is one of the guys I hoped we'd be after when I was combing through the released list. I think there's a bit of the Froxy's about him in that he A) Only scores outrageous goals and B) Is naturally a terrific footballer, but maybe hasn't always taken full advantage of that to actually influence games. But he's someone with a bit of matchwinning magic about them, and that's something I was hoping we'd add this summer. Plenty of League One experience at a good age too.

Another good option to have. And someone who will be hungry to be starting games every week (like Ruth last season) after spending a big chunk of his career as a sub.

A lot of truth in that. Clearly got excellent talent. Great touch, a shot like a rocket. Technically a fine player. Lacks a yard of pace, and at least last season, very unlucky with injuries (unsure if he'd had much injury before last season). I liked him. I think generally our fans rated him ok, certainly better than Falkirk did, but we didn't get to see enough of him. I think he had three separate injuries last season that kept him out for spells. Worst of which was a bad ankle injury that he sustained at Falkirk in September and ruined the first half of the season for him. As others have said, a scorer of great goals. Despite his limited contributions last season for me he scored our best two goals of last season, a volley at Partick Thistle that was struck like a traction engine from outside the box and a dribbling effort against Annan at Palmerston that left half their team tackling fresh air.

Like @19QOS19 I'd agree that looking for him to play wide as a winger is unlikely to be his best use. He's not quick enough for it though he has the ability to still provide something. He's a number 10 for me, play him behind Ruth. His problem here, apart from the injuries, was we had Lee Connelly also best in that position and there wasn't really room for both of them in the same team.

Great guy though, hope it works out as well for him as Ruth's move obviously has.

Bloody hell. Signing a player who looks to have potential to add in an area we are lacking is great for starters. Then we manage to offload a player who wouldn't be upto the step up and hasn't played for us in 6 months. Furthermore, managing to get a fee for him of any sort... mental!

Happy Friday folks 😅

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He wasn't actually "released". We did speak to him about potentially returning.

A lot of truth in that. Clearly got excellent talent. Great touch, a shot like a rocket. Technically a fine player. Lacks a yard of pace, and at least last season, very unlucky with injuries (unsure if he'd had much injury before last season). I liked him. I think generally our fans rated him ok, certainly better than Falkirk did, but we didn't get to see enough of him. I think he had three separate injuries last season that kept him out for spells. Worst of which was a bad ankle injury that he sustained at Falkirk in September and ruined the first half of the season for him. As others have said, a scorer of great goals. Despite his limited contributions last season for me he scored our best two goals of last season, a volley at Partick Thistle that was struck like a traction engine from outside the box and a dribbling effort against Annan at Palmerston that left half their team tackling fresh air.

Like @19QOS19 I'd agree that looking for him to play wide as a winger is unlikely to be his best use. He's not quick enough for it though he has the ability to still provide something. He's a number 10 for me, play him behind Ruth. His problem here, apart from the injuries, was we had Lee Connelly also best in that position and there wasn't really room for both of them in the same team.

Great guy though, hope it works out as well for him as Ruth's move obviously has.

Got any more fringe players lying around that we could have? Just treat it as an annual thank you for the work we did getting Stephen Dobbie into shape for you lot ;)

40 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Got any more fringe players lying around that we could have? Just treat it as an annual thank you for the work we did getting Stephen Dobbie into shape for you lot ;)

Hope you sacked your nutritionist...

gettyimages-1278131333-612x612.jpg