Sons' sorrow

I'd be quite surprised at that, I think that his stock is possibly lower than it was a year ago.

More fool them if that's the case. This season has had its disappointments and there is a requirement for squad maintenance but keeping Dumbarton competitive in this division for a period of years is no mean feat.

And let's look at some of the Premiership managers: Hartley, Canning, Archibald, Locke...hardly the most impressive.

More fool them if that's the case. This season has had its disappointments and there is a requirement for squad maintenance but keeping Dumbarton competitive in this division for a period of years is no mean feat.

And let's look at some of the Premiership managers: Hartley, Canning, Archibald, Locke...hardly the most impressive.

Hartley has done well, no denying it.

As for Canning and Archibald, they have hardly set the heather alight. Neither did Johnston at Killie. The one thing they have in common is that they are young, ex professionals who are fresh out of the game. Some clubs will be attracted by that and some will be put off by that because of some of the guys you mention above, particularly Johnston.

It's no guarantee Murray would be a great in the Premier League, I personally think he'd do well but it's not me who's dishing out contracts at Premier League clubs. I'm not so sure there would be a host of top division sides queueing to snap him up. He still has some obvious flaws that could cost him even more points in a better league.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I can't help but think this is wishful thinking. The St. Mirren job is far more attractive than the Dumbarton one. He's only had limited budgets to deal with in his career so far and even then they'll still have one of the biggest in the division. Aren't St. Mirren known for giving managers time (perhaps too much at times)?

If Teale goes that'll be three in a year!

I can't help but think this is wishful thinking. The St. Mirren job is far more attractive than the Dumbarton one. He's only had limited budgets to deal with in his career so far and even then they'll still have one of the biggest in the division. Aren't St. Mirren known for giving managers time (perhaps too much at times)?

Normally yes. Gus MacPherson and Danny Lennon got a fair crack of the whip, 11 years between them. Tommy Craig was a mistake and Gary Teale has been left to pick up the pieces. Problem is Gary Teale is contracted for another year, we'd have to pay him off or demote him to Assistant, pay compo and obviously pay Ian Murray. I'd like to think our board wouldn't cut the cost on a crucial appointment for the 3rd time but you never know.

Our next appointment is crucial, we are looking for someone to re-build a squad again and install a bit of belief and structure to the club. Without knowing the full story at Dumbarton, from the outside it seems he has taken them as far as he can. Can he realistically challenge for the play-offs ? This division could get tougher for part time times if Morton get promoted and Motherwell come down with us. You's will know far more though, I'm just speculating.

As it goes Murray would be my first choice and a few other Saints fans. I heard through someone that knows a Dumbarton player that Ian Murray is meant to be pretty clueless, it was Jack Ross who was the brains behind the operation.Again I don't have a clue if that is true or not,maybe unfair speculation to bring to this thread.

Normally yes. Gus MacPherson and Danny Lennon got a fair crack of the whip, 11 years between them. Tommy Craig was a mistake and Gary Teale has been left to pick up the pieces. Problem is Gary Teale is contracted for another year, we'd have to pay him off or demote him to Assistant, pay compo and obviously pay Ian Murray. I'd like to think our board wouldn't cut the cost on a crucial appointment for the 3rd time but you never know.

Our next appointment is crucial, we are looking for someone to re-build a squad again and install a bit of belief and structure to the club. Without knowing the full story at Dumbarton, from the outside it seems he has taken them as far as he can. Can he realistically challenge for the play-offs ? This division could get tougher for part time times if Morton get promoted and Motherwell come down with us. You's will know far more though, I'm just speculating.

As it goes Murray would be my first choice and a few other Saints fans. I heard through someone that knows a Dumbarton player that Ian Murray is meant to be pretty clueless, it was Jack Ross who was the brains behind the operation.Again I don't have a clue if that is true or not,maybe unfair speculation to bring to this thread.

That's been mentioned a few times previously, yeah.

Edited by Boghead ranter

People used to say Tommy Wright was the brains behind Steve Lomas when he was in charge. Since Lomas left he's completely bombed at Millwall and hasn't had a job since, while Wright has won a Scottish Cup....

It's pretty clear we've lacked something this season compared to the season and a half Murray had Ross beside him. Whether or not Ross was the 'brains behind the operation' I don't know, all I do know is that we never fannied around with 3-5-2s and the likes when he was here.

Would be interesting to see who he appointed as his assistant if he did move on. If it's a big enough club he may well be able to tempt Ross to join him.

If Teale goes that'll be three in a year!

Well aye they've had a bad time of it this year but I refer you to the first line of this post...

It's unfair to say Murray is clueless but I do feel he needs a good assistant next to him. I think it has shown this year, Beuzelin seemed to be completely different from Jack Ross and there were rumours the players didn't like his methods. When he left Murray has gone without an assistant and I just feel he's got more wrong in regards to team selection/formation than we did when Jack was here. He's still done a fantastic job though.

Jack Ross was well liked by the squad and was a great go between for the manager and players. You'll find a lot of the players were disappointed to see Jack leave and with Murray having to come down hard on them at times it's hardly surprising that some of the players will rate the nice guy higher, IMO. Jack is obviously a good coach though I'm not sure he'd be as good as a manager.

I fail to see how a garbage St Mirren and a pish Motherwell team coming down could make this league harder for ourselves when we've comfortably finished above two other part time sides and a full time side this season in a league containing Rangers, Hearts and Hibs, all three of whom are far better than Motherwell and St Mirren. What an odd statement to make.

I see we threw the Stirlingshire Cup semi 0-2 last night, to allow us to concentrate on the rest of the league campaign.

123 hardy souls turned up to witness it.

I was there. It was so uninspiring I couldn't even be bothered to post anything on here about it. I actually left a Sons match early for the first time in my life it was that dull and cold.

Both goals came from corners. One was scrappy and the other one was a good header from an unmarked centre back.

They even sold out of soup by the time I'd arrived.

The curse of the black kit.

I was there. It was so uninspiring I couldn't even be bothered to post anything on here about it. I actually left a Sons match early for the first time in my life it was that dull and cold.

Both goals came from corners. One was scrappy and the other one was a good header from an unmarked centre back.

They even sold out of soup by the time I'd arrived.

The curse of the black kit.

Almost a complete waste of time but we did learn a few things from last night:

• None of the young guns are ready for first team football.
  • CT's a much better player when scurrying about, harassing the opposition NOT when he's trying to be Riquelme.

Anyway, with saftey now assured shouldn't we get back to the subject of the new stadium ?

We'll at it to the summer agenda. We're currently on the subject of losing Ian Murray, and who to, but should be able to discuss the new stadium after we've had a prolonged keeper debate.

ETA later in the summer we can discuss all things season tickets - prices, collection arrangements, how many DFC employees can work the debit card machine, etc.

Edited by Boghead ranter

Anyway, with saftey now assured shouldn't we get back to the subject of the new stadium ?

That would probably require developments to discuss. Right now we've had no news on the land rezoning application - which means no progress on planning - and no more details about the cost of the development or the riches it'll earn us.

Its all gone quiet. I'm sure theres a hive of activity behind the scenes but until theres progress on the outstanding issues, we're effectively no clearer on the proposal than we were at the project open days.

That would probably require developments to discuss. Right now we've had no news on the land rezoning application - which means no progress on planning - and no more details about the cost of the development or the riches it'll earn us.

Its all gone quiet. I'm sure theres a hive of activity behind the scenes but until theres progress on the outstanding issues, we're effectively no clearer on the proposal than we were at the project open days.

They've had the hearing on that so they've decided against letting us know. I imagine we'll be kept in the dark regarding a lot of this.