Sons' sorrow

Tell u what, u may be part time but you must be paying full time wages!! No way some of these guys would drop to part time for less than £400-£500 per week. No bad for two nights training and another job!!

Not a chance we're offering that. Name one player in our squad who will be on that sort of money?

Even 200 quid a week plus full time employment equates to more than that what most full-time clubs at this level can offer. Now that clubs are starting to live within their means we are reaping the benefits of being part-time. It allows players to further their careers outside of football whilst still playing in what is considered a very good league.

Long gone are the days of diddy full timers paying silly money and thankfully we are basking in it.

Not a chance we're offering that. Name one player in our squad who will be on that sort of money?

Even 200 quid a week plus full time employment equates to more than that what most full-time clubs at this level can offer. Now that clubs are starting to live within their means we are reaping the benefits of being part-time. It allows players to further their careers outside of football whilst still playing in what is considered a very good league.

Long gone are the days of diddy full timers paying silly money and thankfully we are basking in it.

I think ur kidding yourself on. Most players go part time as a last resort and only if getting severely weighed in.

I think ur kidding yourself on. Most players go part time as a last resort and only if getting severely weighed in.

I'm sure there was figures in the 600 p/w region that Dumbarton players where on with there weekly wage and salary from jobs. Probably more than what most full time teams can offer at this level.

Nope.

Put yourself in the shoes of, for example Kevin Cawley. You currently have a decent enough job in Slaters in Glasgow. Queen of the South offer you £400 p/w full-time (complete guess, I've no idea what Queens pay) but you give up your 20k a year job and we offer you £200 p/w but you keep your 20k a year job.

It's a no brainer. Being part-time suits (pardon the pun) a lot of players in the Scottish game.

Not the case at all, some of our signings have had offers to go full time but it's not made sense money wise for them to do that.

Imagine being late 20s, ditching a full time job to go full time football and have a nightmare season, released and no full time job to fall back on.

Not as bad for the younger players to jump at the chance to go full time though as they would time on their hands to have another chance if they fail to succeed first time around.

As been mentioned earlier, we are benefitting from this right now from being the most attractive part time option in scotland and we can give good players the chance to play as high as they can without needing to go full time.

Barr can play defensive mid IIRC

He can play it but I don't think he's particularly good at it. I never rated him in that position for Hearts and even less so when he did it in a couple of appearances at Ross County, where his passing was sloppy in a role that demanded greater technique than the average defender, and he wasn't actually that hot at stopping attackers get past him from there.

But as a defender I think he's pretty good across the back line. He's right footed so left-back isn't as comfortable but I had no issues with him playing anywhere across the defence for County at a pinch. He came in at the end of the August window when County's defence was a shambles and he definitely helped steady things wherever he played across the defence. His passing and long balls aren't bad for a defender, but he's really good when 1v1 against forwards who aren't exceptionally quick or that much taller than him, so he should be comfortable in the Championship. You can count on him to get his challenges in and to read the game well, he's a pretty good, reliable and versatile defender.

The biggest issue is that he hasn't actually played much football in the last few years. He was ruled out for the season with long term injuries by November in 2013 and 2014. Hopefully he's got his fitness back, if he can get to where he was when he joined County then he'll be a very good signing.

Edited by bunglebonce

Nope.

Put yourself in the shoes of, for example Kevin Cawley. You currently have a decent enough job in Slaters in Glasgow. Queen of the South offer you £400 p/w full-time (complete guess, I've no idea what Queens pay) but you give up your 20k a year job and we offer you £200 p/w but you keep your 20k a year job.

It's a no brainer. Being part-time suits (pardon the pun) a lot of players in the Scottish game.

You are right about the money Queens players are on average £400 a week.

Dumbarton pay what we payed when we were part time average £200 a week.

Crawley is a great example of players wanting to stay part time.

You can make more money with a decent job and part time football.

Then if you get a big move to the SPL then you might be on more money then think about going full time but not before.

Dumbarton have made some very good signing going to be a far better side than last season.

He can play it but I don't think he's particularly good at it. I never rated him in that position for Hearts and even less so when he did it in a couple of appearances at Ross County, where his passing was sloppy in a role that demanded greater technique than the average defender, and he wasn't actually that hot at stopping attackers get past him from there.

But as a defender I think he's pretty good across the back line. He's right footed so left-back isn't as comfortable but I had no issues with him playing anywhere across the defence for County at a pinch. He came in at the end of the August window when County's defence was a shambles and he definitely helped steady things wherever he played across the defence. His passing and long balls aren't bad for a defender, but he's really good when 1v1 against forwards who aren't exceptionally quick or that much taller than him, so he should be comfortable in the Championship. You can count on him to get his challenges in and to read the game well, he's a pretty good, reliable and versatile defender.

The biggest issue is that he hasn't actually played much football in the last few years. He was ruled out for the season with long term injuries by November in 2013 and 2014. Hopefully he's got his fitness back, if he can get to where he was when he joined County then he'll be a very good signing.

Decent stuff, with him, Graham, Taggart, Docherty and Buchanan we have a great depth of quality in our defence. Will be interesting to see what Stee's preferred pairing is.

You are right about the money Queens players are on average £400 a week. Dumbarton pay what we payed when we were part time average £200 a week. Crawley is a great example of players wanting to stay part time. You can make more money with a decent job and part time football. Then if you get a big move to the SPL then you might be on more money then think about going full time but not before. Dumbarton have made some very good signing going to be a far better side than last season.

Nailed it. I'm not sure if the Justin laddie is an alias or just seething, but he seems to have an irrational hatred of us and Alloa.

So there's no truth in the rumour then that livvy offered aggy £600 p/w and that we offered to match it?

I understand we need to attract quality and that it comes at a price. But, I would nt like to think we re signing ex full time players on their current salaries for pt football.

Does barr not fit the possibly injury prone ex spl player a lot of folk were concerned about us signing previously (dvz and mair), seems good on paper but we play on grass!

So there's no truth in the rumour then that livvy offered aggy £600 p/w and that we offered to match it?

I understand we need to attract quality and that it comes at a price. But, I would nt like to think we re signing ex full time players on their current salaries for pt football.

Does barr not fit the possibly injury prone ex spl player a lot of folk were concerned about us signing previously (dvz and mair), seems good on paper but we play on grass!

I'd be absolutely shocked if either ourselves or Livingston were offering anyone £600p/w.

I thought the same about Barr, but he is far younger than both Mair and DVZ and is comfortably a better player than the two of them.

When we signed the SPL Rejects (Mair, DVZ & Wilson) I remember fans of their previous clubs saying that their legs had completely gone. Barr seems like he could still play at that level if his chronic injury problems are finally put behind him.

He physically cannot be any worse than Lee Mair. So that's at least a positive!

Tell u what, u may be part time but you must be paying full time wages!! No way some of these guys would drop to part time for less than £400-£500 per week. No bad for two nights training and another job!!

It helps that we made a bit of extra money last season and have a wee bit more to come this year. Yeah, I know that every other side probably has scope to make more. The difference being, I don't think we spent outwith our means whatsoever last season. Pretty much kept the same squad as we have had for the last couple of years. We also have started to build our reputation. A couple of players have come here and earned FT moves from playing for the countries top part time team. A few young players have also come on loan and proven themselves to their own clubs who play at a higher level. Combine this with everything which has been mentioned already about combining part time football with a full time job... we are a very good option to many players. Stee seems to be convincing some decent players of that anyway.

Where did you hear that about Aggie? I'd heard we weren't able to get anywhere near his other offers which is why he was first to knock us back. The difference between signing Premiership has beens last season and this season is that we've (so far) only signed one of them to compliment our squad, as opposed to depending on them last year. We'll be paying good wages for a part time side but I doubt we're handing out huge wages to a serial crock, no matter how good he is.

It helps that we made a bit of extra money last season and have a wee bit more to come this year. Yeah, I know that every other side probably has scope to make more. The difference being, I don't think we spent outwith our means whatsoever last season. Pretty much kept the same squad as we have had for the last couple of years. We also have started to build our reputation. A couple of players have come here and earned FT moves from playing for the countries top part time team. A few young players have also come on loan and proven themselves to their own clubs who play at a higher level. Combine this with everything which has been mentioned already about combining part time football with a full time job... we are a very good option to many players. Stee seems to be convincing some decent players of that anyway.

That's fair enough, but I do know for a fact that my figures are reliable. Like you guys I thought the days of PT players earning that kinda dough were long gone!! These guys don't need other jobs though on that money,.