Sons' sorrow

My first game was away to Queen's Park at Hampden. We won 2-0 and it was (the great) Lawrie Williams' last game as a trialist - we signed him after that game.

I will always remember Boghead fondly as I grew up going there every second Saturday. I remember winning the golden goal when I was about 13 (you had to be 16) and Alex Wright saying because he knew us he would put me down as 16, the 5-2 Arbroath game when we were 2-1 down just after half time (was it 2-0?) anbd Colin McAdam scoring from his own half, the 4-1 relegation avoiding game against Dundee United in 1973, plus countless other memories.

The main problem with Boghead was the pitch - even after it was re-drained in the late 70s or early 80s it was still a quagmire after a light drizzle, so although I will always remember Boghead well, I agree with the others who have said that if we were still there it would be an embarassment or cost a fortune to keep maintained.

I remember it well. It skited on the wet surface in Arbroath's penalty box and straight in. The thing is it was from a free-kick for offside, which was therefore an indirect free-kick and so the ref ought not to have given the goal but a goal-kick instead. I was glad he didn't though.

I remember it well. It skited on the wet surface in Arbroath's penalty box and straight in. The thing is it was from a free-kick for offside, which was therefore an indirect free-kick and so the ref ought not to have given the goal but a goal-kick instead. I was glad he didn't though.

What I remember as the ball hit the net was Hoof just standing there with his arms aloft. No shirt over the head, no 30 feet slides, just two arms aloft.

One of my school pals still tells everyone that Danny McGrain ran up to him at Kilbowie and spoke with him.

The truth behind the story is that at full time the kids used to run on the pitch. My pal ran on the pitch thinking it was full time but sadly the game had not finished and Danny ran up to him and told him "away aff ya wee p***k"

It was East Fife. Would have to look up referees name tho

Aye East Fife, I was walking thro East End Park when the news broke - I remember being massively disappointed. I went home and looked out my pictures of Susan Penhaligon from under the mattress to cheer myself up.

This rings a bell, I am sure you are right.

Scottish Cup quarter final with nearly 9,000 there and Jumbo Muir rising majestically to send Killie out of the cup. I'd swap it for circa 11,000 in two successive games at the end of 71-72 with promotion and a pitch invasion at the end of it.

These as well and Jumbo Muir waltzing through almost the whole of the Clyde team at Shawfield to put us 1-0 up and we went on to win 3-0.

Many Sons fans heading through for Stee's first game tomorrow?

I'm thinking about it.

Depends whether the weather stays nice or if it decides to rain tomorrow. I'll be driving through if I go so I can leave it til the back of 12 before deciding.

It was East Fife. Would have to look up referees name tho

It was indeed East Fife. The referee on the day was Eddie Pringle from Edinburgh. The story went round that the decision to call the game of was marginal, but that the deciding factor was that the ref wanted to go and watch his son Alex play for Dundee elsewhere.

I liked that you could queue for a pie and still watch the game at Boghead. Possibly the only thing I would change at DFS.

Whenever I get nostalgic about the old place, I watch a Shot at Glory!

The only thing I would change at DFS would be my three piece suite.

Just watching status quos successful gig at Palmerston last month on you tube. Time for the sons to do the same at our pitch. Could I suggest Taylor swift or lady gaga to fill the bill.

Maybe AC/DC:you could bill it as "Rock at the Rock".

:thumsup2