Sons' sorrow

From what I heard, from a very, very good source, I'd be extremely surprised if we were interested in any more defenders.

ETA: Midfielder Scott Brown is training with Queen of the South after the 21-year-old's release by St Johnstone. (Daily Record, print edition)

Excellent

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Unless we're going to play Sparky at left mid I just cannot see us signing any more defenders, although Meggatt would be a good addition.

As for how our squad looks, I think it looks okay.  Looking at the other squads around the division there isn't really anyone who frightens me at the moment.  Morton are a few signings away, Queens seem to have signed a couple of unknowns (and if Scott Brown is the quality they're looking at then I'm certainly not worried), Dunfermline seem to be slowly piecing together a decent side but again they have a good few who haven't played at this level or weren't very good at this level before.  As for Ayr, I reckon they look the worst in the division at the moment but that means virtually nothing.  I'm glad we've got most of our squad signed up early, adding the final bits over the coming weeks will be key but I think we're in a decent position at the moment.

It depends just how marvellous we're talking here.  If we're talking top of the range, out of this world marvellous then I'm going for a Prince return.  If we're talking marvellous in a realistic sense then aye, my money is on Smith.

I'm going for neither as this season's mantra is Cash Is The Key ;)

I'm going for neither as this season's mantra is Cash Is The Key ;)

Haud on, when did that change? We should have had a meeting about this, I'm sitting here being patient when I could be going mental trying to find cash from somewhere?!

On a more serious note, surely David Smith is not out of our price range?  :unsure2:

I wonder if the club or trust have thought about getting fans to sponsor a players wages? See if we could get say 300 supporters to pledge £1.50 per week, that money should be able to bring in someone decent

I've seen other clubs do similar (mainly Cowdenbeath who seem to run a "Managers Fund" every year) but I've no idea how much it can actually raise.  On the figures you've used above, my calculations have that at roughly £16K over the course of the season.  That would be a player on £400 a week for a season? That's a good player for us.

I suspect the reality would be that we'd find it hard to get close to 100 supporters happy to pledge each month and we'll need them to put more money in for it to work.  I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund though.

I've seen other clubs do similar (mainly Cowdenbeath who seem to run a "Managers Fund" every year) but I've no idea how much it can actually raise. On the figures you've used above, my calculations have that at roughly £16K over the course of the season. That would be a player on £400 a week for a season? That's a good player for us.

I suspect the reality would be that we'd find it hard to get close to 100 supporters happy to pledge each month and we'll need them to put more money in for it to work. I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund though.

I suspect the actual numbers probably would be closer to 100 too, but would be interesting to know if the trust have considered this as an option

I've seen other clubs do similar (mainly Cowdenbeath who seem to run a "Managers Fund" every year) but I've no idea how much it can actually raise. On the figures you've used above, my calculations have that at roughly £16K over the course of the season. That would be a player on £400 a week for a season? That's a good player for us.

I suspect the reality would be that we'd find it hard to get close to 100 supporters happy to pledge each month and we'll need them to put more money in for it to work. I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund though.

Happy to contribute.

I suspect the actual numbers probably would be closer to 100 too, but would be interesting to know if the trust have considered this as an option

I'm now reliably informed that we actually do have such a fund set up at the moment...it's called the Sons Lotto. You can play that twice a week (think it's £1.50 a line) and not only are you putting money towards the player budget but you've a chance of winning some as well (however slim that may be). I signed up when it started but always forget to top up my account, I should probably get back into it.

I wonder if the club or trust have thought about getting fans to sponsor a players wages? See if we could get say 300 supporters to pledge £1.50 per week, that money should be able to bring in someone decent

My Partick supporting mate gives them a fiver a month into a similar set up. Think it's a voluntary amount they do. Edited by Thommo90