General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Sunday was 'Mad Sunday' affectionately named as it's the day that see's the visitors run around the course more than any other day. There was also a tribute lap arranged in honor of Simon Andrews. Unfortunately the memory card corrupted so my photos of that day are lost, but it;s estimated 5,000 joined the lap and at one stage the line of bikers covered 12 miles of the course. There was a minute of noise beofre tey set off with the police aranging for green lights throughout the Island. John Mcguinness's covered they thoughts of many with his tweet (is there anyway to embeed a tweet onto these forums btw)

Monday was the Supersport race, won by Gary Johnson on the Triumph....didn't see that one coming. I headed towards the exit of Governors Dip, one of my favorite spots for taking photos, however I was suffering from earache and just wasn't on top form at all....still.

1. Conor Cummins with the Honda. The local boy who has had a horrible run over the past few years, finally on the Honda things are starting to settle for him....will he get the chance to be with the team next year is a bigger question.

14412911233_5b55061653_c.jpg

2. Dean Harrison on the Yamaha. Dean has been getting faster and faster, his old man won on Sat in the side cars (no photos of that one, they were on the corrupted card) so was no doubt getting a bit of stick....latter in the week he could hand it back.

14206183640_e8eff493a0_c.jpg

3. Adam Child on the Kawasaki. The MCN Journalist has taken some critical panning from a few over the years about his efforts to race in the TT, a few suggesting that he was belittling the race. I spoke with him brefely in the paddock on Sunday, if he was before he's not anymore, the man loves the race.

14206272848_f422fe56cc_c.jpg

4. Bruce Anstey riding the Padgetts Honda. It was this race that Bruce kept his record of finishing on the podium for the past 11 years, that's some going from the big man.

14391915024_6dde0dba51_c.jpg

5. Dan Keen on a Honda. The local boy know for this brown trouser moment, thankfully he's cutting them out and going faster.

14389643371_3ab580ed25_c.jpg

6. Bob Price racing the Yamaha. Sadly Bob crashed and lost his life in this race in a crash at Balaugh Bridge. He was using the TT to get some extra practice in for the Classic TT races

14206332118_f1c4342a43_c.jpg

Thanks for the pics and report. Some great images. Dean Harrison really impressed me. I think you're right about Guy Martin. I just can't see him winning one now. MD could be a dominant force for years to come. I was really wanting Anstey to win a race but by the time he really got going Dunlop had already nearly caught him on the road. Have you ever had the chance to speak to him? He seems ridiculously laid back.

Back to four wheels for a moment. I travelled down to the Lake District on Sunday to interview the final person for my Jim Crawford biography, his old team boss and entrant from F3, Atlantic and F2. Nice guy. Had a McLaren supercar in his garage! Hopefully get the manuscript finished within the month. Already started picture selection. It's only taken me four years to do.

Thanks for the pics and report. Some great images. Dean Harrison really impressed me. I think you're right about Guy Martin. I just can't see him winning one now. MD could be a dominant force for years to come. I was really wanting Anstey to win a race but by the time he really got going Dunlop had already nearly caught him on the road. Have you ever had the chance to speak to him? He seems ridiculously laid back.

Many thanks, I've not had the chance to speak or meet Bruce yet but speaking with a few fans in the hedges who have, he is incredibly laid back. I did bump into a few riders through the week though. Passed Guy Martin on the street while he was with the Tyco boys and I know Guy doesn't have a gret rep when it comes to authgraphs and being interrupted by the public so I just wished him luck in passing for the next day. It was Guy himself who carried the conversation on for a brief moment when he asked where I came from and then mentioned the Strathpuffer Mountain Bike race and asked if it was near where I lived, even that 30 second conversation gave just enough insight into what he must be like at all times........boy he must be tough to hang with at times and other times an absolute blast.

Also meet McGuinness, again in passing.....I was going into the Chinese takeaway he was coming out with his order, this was the day bay before the Senior race and people say motorsport isn't athletic.

Back to 4 wheels and this weekend is the LeMans 24hr, 1st practice at the moment but already there was a massive crash for the Audi #1. Not sure what happened as the camera's did not pick the crash up but reports indicate the car got airborne and into the catch fencing. The driver Loic Duval is reporting to be fine, he was awak and talking to the marshals and was meet by Alan McNish at the medical center.

uqmp5wmz2mbcjcnithlv.jpg

Briliant photos Mackie and nice report, putting a lot of ideas into my head. Never actually spoke to anybody that has been to the TT to spectate so you might get some more questions over the next year if i decide to go. Know a few people that have been involved it the TT but they stay for the fortnight in there motorhomes. Think it is manx2.com? that have started flights from Glasgow to the iom. Problem i have staying down in the sunny south west is that if i go about 5 miles from my house on a clear day i can see the island, think its 30 nautical miles across the solway. Think i might buy a small boat.

I've just got back from a taking photo's at the Wildcats in Inverness and missed the first 2 hours, just seen the accident which involved the Toyota/Audi/Ferrari from on board another car, big one. Did seem that the Toyota came in too quick and lost it on the wet track, Ferrari and Audi having a coming together in the resulting avoiding action.

And I just missed Dario being on Radio Lemans.........ARSE!

I've just got back from a taking photo's at the Wildcats in Inverness and missed the first 2 hours, just seen the accident which involved the Toyota/Audi/Ferrari from on board another car, big one. Did seem that the Toyota came in too quick and lost it on the wet track, Ferrari and Audi having a coming together in the resulting avoiding action.

And I just missed Dario being on Radio Lemans.........ARSE!

Worry not, they upload all the coverage as podcasts. Will need to work out which hour that would be in.

Briliant photos Mackie and nice report, putting a lot of ideas into my head. Never actually spoke to anybody that has been to the TT to spectate so you might get some more questions over the next year if i decide to go. Know a few people that have been involved it the TT but they stay for the fortnight in there motorhomes. Think it is manx2.com? that have started flights from Glasgow to the iom. Problem i have staying down in the sunny south west is that if i go about 5 miles from my house on a clear day i can see the island, think its 30 nautical miles across the solway. Think i might buy a small boat.

Thanks and no problem with the questions, I'll try and help/advise as best I can. You can also go the iomtt.com and there's a forum on there for info as well.

Well watching the LeMans race, I thought I'll just post some of the reaming photo's from the TT

1. Dave Molyneux & Patrick Farrance - Molyneux is to the sidecars what John McGuinness is to the solo's, he wins. This was from the Thursday race which he won his 17th TT race.

14403355124_41181686a1_c.jpg

2. Conrad Harrison & Mike Aylott. While Dave won his 17th on Thursday, Conrad won his first on Sat. Conrad has finished in almost all other postions but first till this years TT, there was some party in Bushy's Beer tent that night.

14217904858_f540be64e3_c.jpg

3. Watching in the Hedges. This is the TT grandstands.

14217913030_656c088c2d_c.jpg

4. Keith Amor in the lightweights. Keith has come back to road racing after retiring due to injury (had a crash in 2010 or 2011 at Quarterbridge) after his former sparring partner Ryan Farqhuar also indicated his wish to return to road racing. It was Keith who out performed Ryan, which must be pleasing since it's Ryan's team that Amor was racing for.

14218342519_762b10cb04_c.jpg

5. Dunlop leads. Not the best photo I took of the week, but the most telling of the 2014 race, Micheal Dunlop at the front of the pack in the Senior race while the others trail behind......

14219485417_0b1a27246e_c.jpg

6. Paul Shoesmith in the Senior race. Quite possibly, the best paint scheme and racing leather combination in the TT this year.

14219422080_afccd8a0e0_c.jpg

Other photo's ar on my Flickr site, click the link if you wish to see.....basically the same type of photos just with different bikes.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Mackie, i,ve looked at the website and the forum over the years. Actually staying only 30 miles from the island i can pick up Manx radio TT in the van at my work. Best radio fortnight of the week, missed 3 days of it this due to my boss sending the van to the workshop for a service and had a crappy old van with a rubbish radio/cassette player.. So i can hear the island and see the island, just need to get there some year.

Read on this years forum about some boys from Shetland that hired a fishing boat and went to the IOM that way. Loaded the bikes on to the boat, stopped at Oban to pick up a passenger. Fantastic.

6. Bob Price racing the Yamaha. Sadly Bob crashed and lost his life in this race in a crash at Balaugh Bridge. He was using the TT to get some extra practice in for the Classic TT races.

A word of warning. A mate sent me a link to a vid on YouTube called 'TT Crash', asking if I knew who it was. Turns out it was poor Bob Price and the footage is horrific, possibly the worst impact I've ever seen. For whatever reason he arrived at Ballaugh far too quickly and went straight into the side wall of The Raven pub. Really wish I hadn't seen it ????

I genuinely thought this was a publicity stunt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658725/Is-Britains-idiotic-driver-Video-posted-YouTube-appears-boy-racer-driving-girlfriends-VW-Polo-Brands-Hatch-circuit-middle-race.html

Brands Hatch security isn't great then, but that's fairly common at minor events. I ended up standing at a marshals post and strolling up the pit lane at Hockenheim during a German motorcycle event!

Edited by flyingscot

• 2 weeks later...

Sticking with Indycars, last night race at Pocono Raceway was won by Montoya, it was a decent race and also seeing them start 3 wide like that is an impressive sight.

With Pocono being so wide they could have gone 4/5 wide and still had space on either side, although going into Turn 1 would have been interesting. Also Power got penalised for blocking, which always races a smile with me.

I don't know what it is about the guy, but I can not warm to him at all. It's not because he battled against Dario as I like Scott Dixon despite his battles back when Dario raced for Andretti before the ill fated attempt at NASCAR. And it's not because he's outspoken and a bit edgy, I might be one of only a hand full of people who actually like Jacques Villeneuve regardless of which form of motorsport he's racing and beside...Power will be forever remembered for flipping the bird so eloquently a few years back (at work, can't view YouTube to find link). He just pisses me off far too much than he should do...I just cant figure out why.