General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

The United Sports Car Championship, i started watching it live last night but fell asleep about half an hour in!!

Scott Purett won by about a second by truth be told it was a dull race, didn't help that Fox seemed to go for a break every 10/15 mins on the online stream. Could never get into the race.

I thought a Corvette was going to win it!!

The commentator wouldn't stfu about the 'slowest corner in motorsport' either, every 2 feckin seconds they were talking about the 28 mph hairpin and how the GTLM cars would keep pace with the faster classes, think it was them that put me to sleep!!!

Next up Laguna Seca, i love that track!!!

Scott Purett won by about a second by truth be told it was a dull race, didn't help that Fox seemed to go for a break every 10/15 mins on the online stream. Could never get into the race.

The Indy Car race from St. Petersburg was the same on ESPN. They went to an ad break every 6 laps, missing around 4 laps at a time. I just couldn't get into the race at all.

The Indy Car race from St. Petersburg was the same on ESPN. They went to an ad break every 6 laps, missing around 4 laps at a time. I just couldn't get into the race at all.

I like the way Premier Sports do it with Nascar........when the Americans go to a break they keep showing the action without commentary.

I like the way Premier Sports do it with Nascar........when the Americans go to a break they keep showing the action without commentary.

Motors TV usually go to a on board camera when the American station go for ads, but it was brutal the other night!!

I'm going to watch the WEC race after the snooker tonight, was it a good race? The ELMS race was not bad on Saturday.

I was a little disappointed that the British GT wasn't live on TV today. I thought that someone would've picked up the opening rounds. Motors TV are showing highlights on Sunday so I suppose it's better than nothing.

Decent enough race, much better than the F1 race that's for sure. The Audi's look to be the quickest but had issues it seems on harvesting power under braking, both cars went off in an unusual manner and location, while the Toyota's are competitive enough, hopefully this carries onto Spa and LeMans. The Porsche's still working on developing the car, they still don't have the long tail version running which will hold them back come LeMans. Strange that the GT's weren't shown, thought ITV 4 had it before, maybe with Sir Chris Hoy racing in it regularly it may be able to pick something up.

In other news, I was watching the BSB race on Monday and during commentary, Jamie Whitham mentioned that our resident mad biker Michael Dunlop was riding with a possible broken arm after a crash in qualifying on Sun. The story goes is that he refused to have it x-rayed just in case it was broken and he wouldn't be able to race on the Monday. He finished race 1 and retired in race 2, no issues were reported with the bike.

I'm not too sure if that's Bravery, completely dangerous or downright insane......I'm suspecting a combination of all 3.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

I actually fell asleep the night I was meant to watch the race but I've caught up now. I agree with your point about the Audi's being the quickest, the issue with the car under braking should be sorted by Le Mans. I was quite impressed by the Toyota's, the speed won't be the issue at Le Mans and I do expect them to be competitive with Audi but they still won't win it in my opinion, hopefully I'll be proven wrong though.

I was surprised that Porsche don't have a long tail version running yet but I read in Racecar Engineering today that the problems with the engine set them back 6 months so it isn't that surprising. They had to redesign the crankshaft and camshafts after changing the firing order of the V4 engine because the vibrations were so bad that it was damaging the suspension on the car! I wasn't expecting much from the Porsche this year anyway, it's took Toyota a few years to get up to speed and the Porsche will probably be the same.

• 3 weeks later...

This Jack Hawksworth chap seems to be making a good impression in his rookie Indycar season. It'll be interesting how he does in the 500 in 2 weeks time.

Also looking forward to see Kurt Busch going for the Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600 double.

This Jack Hawksworth chap seems to be making a good impression in his rookie Indycar season. It'll be interesting how he does in the 500 in 2 weeks time.

Also looking forward to see Kurt Busch going for the Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600 double.

Yeah JH looking good to be in contention for the win tonight at Indy.

Big crash at the start when poleman Saavedra stalled and was hit a glancing blow by Aleshin then the unsighted Munoz smashed right into the back of Saavedra, both drivers ok.

BnTRSr5CIAADpYv.png

Good and interesting race right up to the end with Simon Pagenaud only just winning on the line with only fumes left in the tank, Hunter- Reay 2nd and a fast finishing Castroneves 3rd. Hawksworth finished 7th.

Lets see if the F1 race in Barca tomorrow can be as much of a thriller.

The safety car rules seemed ridiculous - looks like you have to keep at safety car speed until you get the green flag at which point everyone is about two inches from the guy in front. Think three restarts running they had a full course caution again before the end of a lap!

While we're on the subject of bikes, I've just finished reading Jon Ekerold's autobiography. It is a great book about a guy who managed to win a GP world championship as a privateer! It's really well written and he has some pretty strong opinions, particularly about Barry Sheene and Jackie Stewart's safety campaign. Some very funny stories and some very sad ones. There is a lot of material about Tom Herron, the great Irish rider, who was Ekerold's close friend. Anyway, I'd thoroughly recommend it. You can buy a copy directly from Jon. It's a limited run of 4000 (individually numbered) and he signs each one (he'll dedicate it if you want). Cost me £18 including postage.

North West 200 this week. I believe there's live streaming on the BBC website. They used to show it on the red button but not sure if that's still the case?

Oh, and not long until TT fortnight! : )

Yep, coverage is on the website but not on the red button, practise was yesterday and it was not too bad once they got the initial gremlins out of the way. The next scheduled practise is set for tomorrow in the morning with the races starting after 5pm, nothing set for today. Fingers crossed for decent weather unlike at years.

I'll be heading, once again, over to the Isle of Man for the TT races, right now I'm stuck at work, counting down each day till I head for the boat while viewing photo's and videos of the preparation work and transformation of the Island.

That autobiography sounds like a good read btw, I'll look to grab myself a copy before I head over, along with Guy Martin's book as well.

Yep, coverage is on the website but not on the red button, practise was yesterday and it was not too bad once they got the initial gremlins out of the way. The next scheduled practise is set for tomorrow in the morning with the races starting after 5pm, nothing set for today. Fingers crossed for decent weather unlike at years.

I'll be heading, once again, over to the Isle of Man for the TT races, right now I'm stuck at work, counting down each day till I head for the boat while viewing photo's and videos of the preparation work and transformation of the Island.

That autobiography sounds like a good read btw, I'll look to grab myself a copy before I head over, along with Guy Martin's book as well.

Have a great time. I reckon there could be a couple of surprise winners this year. Where do you stay? Was thinking of heading over for the Manx GP, although the arrival of a new baby in the summer may scupper my plans.

I think the best way to order the book is to search for his Facebook page - 'Jon Ekerold The Privateer' - and PM him. He lives in Germany.

Best book I've read on the TT is 'That Near Death Thing' by Rick Broadbent. Absolutely fantastic.

Have a great time. I reckon there could be a couple of surprise winners this year. Where do you stay? Was thinking of heading over for the Manx GP, although the arrival of a new baby in the summer may scupper my plans.

I think the best way to order the book is to search for his Facebook page - 'Jon Ekerold The Privateer' - and PM him. He lives in Germany.

Best book I've read on the TT is 'That Near Death Thing' by Rick Broadbent. Absolutely fantastic.

Cheer, certainly planing to have a good time anyway, thinking McGuiness will still come away with a couple with an outside winner in Josh Brookes. I'm staying at the Quarterbridge site run by the Douglas Rugby Club, fantastic venue right on the course it's self so if there is a late night involved then can always wait till last possible moment to wake up then saunter to the edge of the camp site and watch there. If you do make it over for the Manx then I can not stress enough, you have to watch from the bottom of Bray Hill....unreal.

Also thanks for the tip for the book, going to get that ordered shortly. I've read "That Near Death Thing" and agree, it's the best book to read about the TT especially for those not familiar with road racing. There's also a new movie coming out shortly called "The Road" narrated by Liam Neeson, it focus on the Dunlop family (both Joey and Robert followed by Robert's 2 sons), hoping I can sneak my way into one of the screenings during the fortnight.