General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

North West 200 this week. I believe there's live streaming on the BBC website. They used to show it on the red button but not sure if that's still the case?

Oh, and not long until TT fortnight! : )

Is this why the signs on the M77 are warning about increased motorcycle traffic?

Cheer, certainly planing to have a good time anyway, thinking McGuiness will still come away with a couple with an outside winner in Josh Brookes. I'm staying at the Quarterbridge site run by the Douglas Rugby Club, fantastic venue right on the course it's self so if there is a late night involved then can always wait till last possible moment to wake up then saunter to the edge of the camp site and watch there. If you do make it over for the Manx then I can not stress enough, you have to watch from the bottom of Bray Hill....unreal.

Also thanks for the tip for the book, going to get that ordered shortly. I've read "That Near Death Thing" and agree, it's the best book to read about the TT especially for those not familiar with road racing. There's also a new movie coming out shortly called "The Road" narrated by Liam Neeson, it focus on the Dunlop family (both Joey and Robert followed by Robert's 2 sons), hoping I can sneak my way into one of the screenings during the fortnight.

Not heard about the Neeson film. Sounds interesting. I would still rate Michael's NW200 win after his dad had been killed in practice as one of the greatest and most emotional moments I have seen in any sport.

Josh Brookes is brilliant. Looking for forward to seeing him at Knockhill next month. I like his style.i remember the race at Mallory (I think) a few years ago when he forgot to brake for the hairpin and torpedoed the first 3 or 4 riders!

Edited by CooCoothenoo

Anyone see the racing yesterday, was some very good racing from the Dunlop's throughout the event. William finally managed to pull one of his younger brother on the big bikes while Micheal got the win in the final race, was just on another level. As for McGuinness well he's struggling more than I thought with his hand injury, blows open the TT imo now.

A few incidents however, one with Seeley and Johnson in the 600 race where Johnson tried to put the squeeze on the outside of Seeley, who in turn seemed to let up on the brakes to try and run Johnson wide. The inevitable happened and they came together, thankfully baring a few stiff joints and bruising both are ok.

The Supperstock race was cut short due to an incident which involved Simon Andrews who had to be airlifted to hospital and remains in a critical condition, although according to his team boss he is breathing by himself and there has been positive signs overnight. I hope he pulls through and recovers fully....and then stops racing. If it wasn't for bad luck he'll have no luck at all, fingers crossed for him.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Ed Carpenter will be on pole for next weeks Indy 500 for the 2nd year running.

James Hinchcliffe and Will Power will start alongside him on the front row.

Jame Hinchcliffe only missed out on the pole by Carpenter's last lap. Hinchcliffe's performance is more the remarkable since he had still been suffering the after effects of being hit by a piece of rear wing at last weeks race on the Indy Grand Prix circuit and had just been cleared to to make the practice. A new feature on racing helmets now is a bullet proof strip on the top part of the visor and this probably prevented Hinchcliffe from more serious injury.

The Supperstock race was cut short due to an incident which involved Simon Andrews who had to be airlifted to hospital and remains in a critical condition, although according to his team boss he is breathing by himself and there has been positive signs overnight. I hope he pulls through and recovers fully....and then stops racing. If it wasn't for bad luck he'll have no luck at all, fingers crossed for him.

I wasn't aware of this, but I totally agree. He needs to call it a day. He's had some horrendous accidents in the last few years. Seems like a nice guy. Really hope he pulls through.

Right, who's everyone tipping for the TT? I'm hoping Bruce Anstey gets a couple of wins. Would love to see Josh Brookes on the podium too, but quite a big ask in only his second year. I like his style. BMW are extremely keen to win a superbike race as it's the 75th anniversary of them winning the senior, so Michael Dunlop will have some pressure on him. I hope McGuiness is on the pace, but I suspect he may not get a win this year due to his wrist. Then there's Guy Martin. Will it ever happen for him?

Right, who's everyone tipping for the TT? I'm hoping Bruce Anstey gets a couple of wins. Would love to see Josh Brookes on the podium too, but quite a big ask in only his second year. I like his style. BMW are extremely keen to win a superbike race as it's the 75th anniversary of them winning the senior, so Michael Dunlop will have some pressure on him. I hope McGuiness is on the pace, but I suspect he may not get a win this year due to his wrist. Then there's Guy Martin. Will it ever happen for him?

McGuiness has that wrist injury which is going to hamper his ability to run consecutive laps, however he's been quick on single laps on practice so far over the past few nights, I can see him with a TT Zero win as long as the bike lasts. Michael Dunlop has to be favourite for the Superstocks as he's racing on the Honda's there, the superbikes however are on the BMW and I'm not too sure how well it's run on the mountain course. Anstey has already lapped at 130mph (estimated as he came into the pits) in practice last night and if he's in the mood then there's no reason why he can't win, all depends upon if he wakes up in the mornings or not. In the lightweight category you've got to look at Keith Amor and Ryan Farqhuar, but a surprise could come from Ivan Linton.

Outside bets are Josh Brokes who is just insanely fast, Connor Cummins who is on a Honda which are perceived to be the bike to be on for a win, Guy Martin has had some good form coming into the TT and has been consistently fast in practice. William Dunlop has now beat his brother on a big bike race, a massive monkey off his back, can he possibly carry it forward.

What I'm looking forward to is to see how well Cameron Donald gets on with the Norton (his only bike he's racing this year) and the Sidecars. The Norton bike has slowly being getting better and better over the past couple of years from its' debut...and failure to qualify...in 2012 to last years run with Ian Mackman which lapped at 122mph. Now under a TT winner with another years development hopefully it'll go well, the bike sounds awesome anyway. As for the chairs, they have gone back to fully tinned engines so there is a chance that the lap record may fall.

I sail on Friday....every single passing minute at work is currently hell.....must resist urge to tell boss to stick it and head early.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Bon voyage! As a matter of interest, how much are Steampacket lightening you of for the ferry ride?

I'll be watching the Norton with interest too. I believe they've found quite a bit more power since last year. It sounds great even on the telly from the clips I've seen. What spots are you planning on watching from, and will you be visiting the fairies at the bridge?

Is this why the signs on the M77 are warning about increased motorcycle traffic?

I think it's just general warning for the time of year, cos the matrix between Queen Margaret and Holmston roundabouts still has that on it and has had for weeks!!

Edited by 1888bhoy67