NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

15 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I’ve always quite liked Carr, but he is who he is. 9 years of purgatory with him. Will lose enough games to keep you out of the playoffs but win too many to ever draft high enough to pick a replacement.

I’d rather it was McDaniels who was leaving, but no chance of that happening so might as well see who else we can try at QB at this point.

Tbf to Carr, I'm sure they gave a stat a few weeks ago that in his time as Raiders QB they lose an average of close to 27 points per game. That's a tough gig for any QB.

57 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Tbf to Carr, I'm sure they gave a stat a few weeks ago that in his time as Raiders QB they lose an average of close to 27 points per game. That's a tough gig for any QB.

Oh absolutely. The Raiders haven’t had a defense in the top half of the league since 2002, which is a disgrace.

I’d like to see him go somewhere like the Jets or Panthers with a competent unit on the other side of the ball that can give him some support. I’ve got a feeling he’ll just retire instead though - has hinted at it in the past.

24 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Raiders fans seem to have their hearts set on Brady 

I’d say he’s realistically the only option that wouldn’t be a downgrade on Carr. I guess you could maybe include Garoppolo as well.

But even then Brady is 45 and has started to noticeably decline, so I’m not too thrilled about that prospect either.

Joey Bosa designated to return from IR :2cool

Kinda suspected something was up with him, because although he plays at high level he hasn't been quite as completely unblockable over the past couple of seasons as he was previously. Hopefully this gets him back to 100% because Mack has been drawing a lot of attention in Bosa's absence and he's still been playing lights out.

Edited by Boo Khaki

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I’d say he’s realistically the only option that wouldn’t be a downgrade on Carr. I guess you could maybe include Garoppolo as well.

But even then Brady is 45 and has started to noticeably decline, so I’m not too thrilled about that prospect either.

Garoppolo is definitely a downgrade on Carr. How is your OLine? Brady can still be good, but you'd need a top OLine.

10 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Garoppolo is definitely a downgrade on Carr. How is your OLine? Brady can still be good, but you'd need a top OLine.

Not great. On paper it’s a dreadful line and has actually performed better than expected, ranking somewhere in the middle of the pack. But Brady would get killed behind it so big reinforcements needed.

Hmm...

Titans @ Jags, and Chiefs @ Raiders flexed to next Saturday.

I get they want to have interesting games on national TV, but I've never agreed with flexing games involving playoff-bound teams. Titans v Jags I can almost understand as although it's vital for both it has no bearing on any other team, but the Chiefs game will likely affect #1 seeding so should really be played at the same time as the Bills, and possibly even the Bengals game. 

Either way, it means that it's likely one or more team/s is going to be hosting a playoff game on an extra day's rest over their opponent, which is what I object to more than anything else.

My guess is that if the Bengals lose to Buffalo tomorrow they'll flex Ravens @ Bengals to the late Sunday slot, but if they beat Buffalo and win the North tomorrow night it will be Lions @ Packers that gets bumped to the late slot. That's kinda unfair on Seattle, but the NFL doesn't appear to give a shit about playing meaningful games in concurrent timeslots.

There's a daft scenario in the AFC next week, where if every single one of the teams that are currently 8-8 lose we'd have seven AFC teams with 8-9 records and the Jags would be the #7 seed 

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Hmm...

Titans @ Jags, and Chiefs @ Raiders flexed to next Saturday.

I get they want to have interesting games on national TV, but I've never agreed with flexing games involving playoff-bound teams. Titans v Jags I can almost understand as although it's vital for both it has no bearing on any other team, but the Chiefs game will likely affect #1 seeding so should really be played at the same time as the Bills, and possibly even the Bengals game. 

Either way, it means that it's likely one or more team/s is going to be hosting a playoff game on an extra day's rest over their opponent, which is what I object to more than anything else.

My guess is that if the Bengals lose to Buffalo tomorrow they'll flex Ravens @ Bengals to the late Sunday slot, but if they beat Buffalo and win the North tomorrow night it will be Lions @ Packers that gets bumped to the late slot. That's kinda unfair on Seattle, but the NFL doesn't appear to give a shit about playing meaningful games in concurrent timeslots.

There's a daft scenario in the AFC next week, where if every single one of the teams that are currently 8-8 lose we'd have seven AFC teams with 8-9 records and the Jags would be the #7 seed 

Money talks, and the networks/companies that paid to carry games want the biggest draw they can get, period. You also have the fact there hasn’t been a true fixing scandal in the NFL. If some sort of a fixing scandal occurred, you might finally see a scenario with all games with relevance kicking off at the same time, but you still have the fact that an NFL game can easily run for as little as 2+45 to as much as 4+00 or more, without considering OT…which still allows for some collusion.

Fairly pish scheduling for next week as Packers - Lions moved to SNF. Which means for Seattle to get through they need to win, which eliminates the Lions, then rely on the same Lions team who've just been eliminated to do them a favour and beat the Packers. 

They really should have waited until after MNF and shunted Ravens @ Cinci into the SNF slot if the North is still up for grabs. Nobody else's fate is dependent on that game, so it's less contentious than punting the NFC North game there and screwing Seattle. Seattle has to win regardless, but still, it will knock the stuffing out of the Lions if they know before taking the field that their season is over. It would have been less contentious to play the 'win or go home' Lions @ Packers game early and put Seattle on SNF, but then there's a good chance the Seattle game would be rendered meaningless in that scenario.

The other candidate for me would have been to flex Pats at Bills. Yes, the Bills are playing for #1 so that game does have more than just the Pats playoff chances resting on it, but if Buffalo wins tonight then no other result next week changes anything about those two team's fates. Even if every rival won, Pats would still be in a 'win and in' scenario, and Bills would still be playing to clinch #1 overall, so the only way that game becomes meaningless is if Buffalo loses on MNF, and Tennessee, Miami, and Pittsburgh all lose their earlier games next week. Highly unlikely.

Just noticed that Balt @ Cinci is listed as 'either 1pm or 4:25pm'. That can only be because the Bengals can clinch the division later tonight. That's absolutely bizarre, because I think they'll move it to 4:25 if the division is still up for grabs and that has the knock-on effect of forcing the Chargers to go all out for a win against Denver to secure #5. Absolutely ridiculous that they appear to fret about seedings and fairness when it comes to some teams, but don't give a flying f**k about giving others a helping hand. That's outrageous tbh.

Edited by Boo Khaki