NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Someone was saying yesterday that the Combine track is usually faster than the Pro Day ones.

It usually is, plus a lot of the borderline guys spend weeks training sprints specifically for the 40 time at the Combine.

One of the reasons MHJ didn't even bother turning up for his Pro day. Teams aren't bothered about his 40 times and so on, because all that really represents is a player's ability to train for running a 40 time and isn't really reflective of what happens when they are in football shape and wearing pads. Pretty sure I remember Jerry Rice saying that he believed he'd struggle to run under 4.7-4.8 in the 40, yet this was at a time when he was still topping the league in receiving yards.

New kickoff rule passed, no squib kicks any more and no onside kicks other than in 4th quarter. 

One year trial, don't think it'll go back to the old way but can see some amends after this coming season 

No Fair Catch.

Cool. Already looking forward to the histrionics in less than a year from now once it's figured out that good NFL kickers can lob it with hang-time into the Blue area, and since it's 10 on 9, the returner will get absolutely fucking buried the moment the ball is in their hands, i.e. like what happens to moron Punt Returners right now who have no idea when to signal FC and when to get the f**k away from the ball completely. 

Presumably there is some sort of "neither team can move until the ball is caught" caveat that is absent from that rundown, because it will be complete and utter chaos from a health and safety perspective without one.

16 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Presumably there is some sort of "neither team can move until the ball is caught" caveat that is absent from that rundown, because it will be complete and utter chaos from a health and safety perspective without one.

Yep, neither team can move until the ball is caught although I expect a penalty on every kick off as someone will go early 

So what precisely is the thinking behind this? The shorter distances between collisions will reduce injury and long-term health damage?

Presumably by "No Squibs" they mean the ball must travel into the Blue/Red on the full, because I don't think it's a benefit to the game to start throwing flags when the ball comes off a kicker or Punter's foot funny.

What next? Flags because your QB is wildly inaccurate and can't hit his guy on throws outside the numbers? Mind you, I've been jokingly suggesting incomplete passes will be an automatic penalty on the D before much longer, so 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and have they changed Safety Free Kick rules? Because that is even more egregious in terms of potential for players to get splattered, but presumably they're just going to ignore that on the basis that Safeties are few and far between.

Edited by Boo Khaki

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

No Fair Catch.

Cool. Already looking forward to the histrionics in less than a year from now once it's figured out that good NFL kickers can lob it with hang-time into the Blue area, and since it's 10 on 9, the returner will get absolutely fucking buried the moment the ball is in their hands, i.e. like what happens to moron Punt Returners right now who have no idea when to signal FC and when to get the f**k away from the ball completely. 

Well that's DeeJay Dallas' return game fucked. Glad we got rid of him.

Can't say I'm a fan, because the whole thing feels needlessly contrived and another step on the inexorable march towards the NFL becoming a no-contact flag-type league. 

No doubt the media, fans, coaches, players, analysts and so on will just be getting their heads around the changes when something else will be deemed too dangerous and it's all change yet again.

If you are really worried about collisions and injuries on Kick-offs, do away with them and just start each drive on the 25 yard line. 

NFL Kick-offs join seatbelts on the list of things which have gone "woke".

How many minutes into opening Thursday Night Football do you think we'll get before the first "is/isn't that a Hip-drop" 15 yard penalty controversy? I give it 3, maximum. 

The reduction in return yards by over 60%, with a corresponding reduction in “excitement” is the genesis. The reduction in injuries is the bonus.

A lot fewer high speed collisions is a welcome change, and despite the sirens of doom proclaiming things, there’s a shite load of opportunities here. Placement of the kickoff becomes premium, replacing the kicker that can jack it through the end zone. Expect an increase in kickers who can control the spin and rotation.

For instance, the receiving team players will nearly all be watching the kicking team players for their cue to move (although the receiving team will need a player of two to watch the ball and yell), so a ball placed well away from the returner, landing with backspin that jumps it back toward the kicking team, could result in some interesting scrums. Expect special teams to take on vastly differing and different looks, with some teams perhaps even using a few defensive lineman out there.

As for the “no onside kicks unless announced and in the fourth quarter”, meh…they’ll find a kicker somewhere who can hit a spot and make the ball bounce 15 yards in the direction of his choice (maybe only once in a while), and it’ll change a whole bunch of things.

If any of you are after a FOOTBALL kick the XFL-USFL merger UFL kicks off tomorrow. Not being carried by anyone in the UK as far as I can tell however.

22 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Damar Hamlin absolutely cooked Antonio Brown on Twitter, but Brown keeps weirdly taking shots at him.

No idea what's going on, but I think it's long been apparent Antonio Brown is a seriously unwell man.

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Sounds like Former NFL CB Vontae Davis has been found dead in his home, only 35.

Confirmed. Famously retired at half time when playing for the Bills.