NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Throwing a contract tantrum and getting traded to the Pats 😆

Reminds me of the time I took over Real Madrid in Football Manager, David Beckham threw a tantrum over something, so I put him in the B team and retrained the twat as a goalie.

I haven't listened to any of the new pod. Gregg has his reasons but it doesn't work without the others.

Heard a rumour that Gravedigger is coming back too as his Fox contract ends this week.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Pats have withdrawn from a potential trade for Aiyuk. Steelers back in so it seems to be between them and the Browns. 

Rough slate of QB's. Reports are Watson is stinking the place out in Browns camp. Still, new deal for Tyreek Hill that just pushes the insane WR money ever upwards, so if Aiyuk's main concern is getting paid I doubt he's caring much about which corpse is under C. 

Watching the new kick off nonsense from the HoF game, and I can't see any way that every single team isn't simply smashing it through the EZ on every single KO by Week 3.

After the preseason sandbagging is over, somebody is going to figure out some sort of cross-block scheme that will see them break 3 TD returns in 2 games or something, and the immediate response will just be to kick the ball out of the back of the EZ.

A load of absolutely needless gimmicky bollox. If they wanted to reduce injury, just do away with KO entirely, because I think the net result of these changes will be the same.

I'd just have it so the kick-offs are normal but, once ball has gone past twenty yards or so, kicking team aren't allowed to touch the ball/make a tackle until it has bounced or the kick returner has "made a football move" in possession. That way, the kick returner is not particularly likely to get injured as they can't get whacked while looking up in the sky, you can still have good returns and you can still have kick returners fumble the ball. The latter seems to have been removed which is rubbish.

Having watched it a bit more, I think that if it turns out teams don't just kick TB's, then we might see some pretty weird things happening with non-kickers. I noticed the actual K is ending up involved in the tackle a lot more often, and since it's a relatively short kick and teams don't like the idea of their FG kicker getting thumped, I suspect we might see a few Safeties or LB's learning how to kick the ball off.

Just looking for a bit of help gents, going to give NFL a go this season. This Question may have been asked a number of times in this thread but i am just looking for any podcasts you may recommend for a fairly newbee to the sport.

As i am going to NYC later in the year i have picked the Jets as my team. 

55 minutes ago, Burnside91 said:

Just looking for a bit of help gents, going to give NFL a go this season. This Question may have been asked a number of times in this thread but i am just looking for any podcasts you may recommend for a fairly newbee to the sport.

As i am going to NYC later in the year i have picked the Jets as my team. 

Unfortunately the Around the NFL podcast is no more. That would have been perfect for you. 2 of the guys who did it are now doing a podcast called Heed the Call which is being released the now. If you already have a team there are plenty team only podcasts out there including the locked on sports podcast network 

On 11/08/2024 at 13:59, Swarley said:

Seahawks' unbeaten season is still on. 

Just glad it's preseason and the Chargers basically played no starters beyond Alt and Johnston (questionable if he will start even in 11 sets), because that was about the single most inept offensive performance I've ever seen by an NFL team, even by the usual pre-season game standards.

Another testament to just how mickey-mouse Tom Telesco is that Easton stick is about to go into his 6th year as a Charger, is on his second contract, and yet he was totally outplayed by a guy they signed from a tinpot league midweek. How they have never managed to find even a half-way competent back-up to Herbert is beyond me, but it's in keeping with the fact that for the entirety of Telesco's time as Chargers GM the team had paper-thin depth at every single position and performance would fall off a cliff as soon as there was an injury to any starter.

Even Jim Harbaugh has been utterly scathing about the Chargers back-up QB play, both during camp before that game, and in the press conference afterwards. It's not really like him to just come out and throw players under the bus, but neither Stick nor Duggan were drafted and signed by Harbaugh and Hortiz, and Harbaugh's criticism really sounded more like a "how the f**k can an NFL team be employing these guys?" type dig rather than trying to put a rocket up the individual players arses. I think we'll see a lot more of Luis Perez across the next couple of games, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up Herbert's #2 with Stick relegated to clipboard and joggers duty, and Duggan outright cut.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 09/08/2024 at 00:41, lichtie23 said:

I agree with Boo. The new kickoff is dreadful

I also just found out that you can no longer Onside Kick unless it's in the 4th quarter and the kicking team is losing.

4 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I also just found out that you can no longer Onside Kick unless it's in the 4th quarter and the kicking team is losing.

Aye so no surprise onside kicks. It’s bullshit 

New kickoff, onside kicks, big massive guardian cap rubbery helmets…

Not floating my boat whatsoever, but will wait until I’ve seen Week 1 of proper season action before passing judgement. Until the real stuff starts, can’t say for sure if it’ll be utter nonsense, or not.