NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Cole Beasley - as you might think by looking at him- has said he's not going to get vaccinated [emoji849]

I did chuckle at him saying if you see him out in public stay away from him or …. Get vaccinated.

He also thinks that he can build his immunity by taking his chances, eating better and drinking water.

Comparing the vaccine to taking meds for a leg that’s not broken is a bit mental.

He voted for trump didn’t he?

On 21/06/2021 at 23:48, lichtie23 said:

Raiders DE Carl Nassib has come out as Gay. 

Apparently his jersey has become the biggest selling top on the NFL site for the last couple of days. 

Just now, Fife Saint said:

Nassib seems like a good guy and I was surprised he was cut by the Browns. Good on him, takes guts to do that.

I watched PFT live and they were saying that maybe the reason he wasn’t kept around at the Browns or Buccs was maybe down to his sexuality. I think that’s a bit far fetched. 

I watched PFT live and they were saying that maybe the reason he wasn’t kept around at the Browns or Buccs was maybe down to his sexuality. I think that’s a bit far fetched. 
It's not beyond the realms of possibility to be honest. A headache they maybe didn't want to deal with...

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Kerry Rhodes was an above average Safety in the NFL who literally couldn't find a job at 30 years old, the only discernible reason for it being that he'd been pictured with his arms around another man which prompted the rumour mill to speculate about his sexuality. The player himself was unequivocal about his sexuality, yet teams still weren't even giving him camp try-outs or anything after the photo emerged. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nassib was bombed out of Cleveland and Tampa simply because of suspicions about his sexuality, never mind him actually confiding in the team.

I couldn’t give a stuff about his sexuality and I don’t get the whole hysteria about wanting pro athletes to come out. What they do off the field in their own time shouldn’t matter, as long as it’s legal. It doesn’t change how they play the game.

But he has just guaranteed himself a roster spot with this news. Can you imagine the meltdown if they cut him? No matter if it is because they have better players in his position, no one will accept that and automatically believe it’s because of him coming out.

On 24/06/2021 at 08:57, steelmen said:

I couldn’t give a stuff about his sexuality and I don’t get the whole hysteria about wanting pro athletes to come out. What they do off the field in their own time shouldn’t matter, as long as it’s legal. It doesn’t change how they play the game.

But he has just guaranteed himself a roster spot with this news. Can you imagine the meltdown if they cut him? No matter if it is because they have better players in his position, no one will accept that and automatically believe it’s because of him coming out.

You’re entitled to your take, but this feels like a naive view of things. You’re right in that it shouldn’t matter if players are openly gay, but unfortunately it definitely still does in this day and age. And that’s why he’s the first active NFL player to have come out, and also why there are no (or very few?) footballers who have either.

This article explains far better than I could why this is a big step for sports: https://thetouchdown.co.uk/carl-nassib-why-it-matters/

As to the last point, I’m pretty sure Nassib wasn’t getting cut anyway, because it would have happened by now if so. I really don’t think that has factored into his thinking at all.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

You’re entitled to your take, but this feels like a naive view of things. You’re right in that it shouldn’t matter if players are openly gay, but unfortunately it definitely still does in this day and age. And that’s why he’s the first active NFL player to have come out, and also why there are no (or very few?) footballers who have either.

This article explains far better than I could why this is a big step for sports: https://thetouchdown.co.uk/carl-nassib-why-it-matters/

As to the last point, I’m pretty sure Nassib wasn’t getting cut anyway, because it would have happened by now if so. I really don’t think that has factored into his thinking at all.

Nassib will unfortunately get abuse for his sexuality now, that has to be quickly dealt with and publicly to act as a deterrent but the reason more athletes don't come out could also be down to the fact, some people don't want to be the poster boy/girl for the LGBTQ+ community for the pressure it will inevitably bring.  That article is already calling him a role model, and earlier in the article cited someone who retired early with mental health issues.  I have read articles for years, mostly about the English leagues, and they can't wait to have a confirmed gay player. Who needs that kind of additional pressure when playing in front of 1000's is hard enough.

I never said it factored into his thinking but it has put pressure onto the Raiders to keep him around. He has been cut before and according to Ourlads he is well down the depth chart.

Have Amazon stopped their All or Nothing series with NFL teams?

ETA: Just read there won't be a series due to the pandemic affecting things last season.

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I usually like hard knocks. Won’t be watching they b*****ds tho

16 series - 3 Cowgirls.  No other team have had more than 2 appearances and most teams have never appeared.

I would even watch the Giants over this.  Or how about the Steelers so we can actually see how much of a dick Ben is before he retires.  Also Tomlin.

Edited by strichener