Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deegas, you disrespectfully describe Scotland as a basket case failed state. Is that what 300 years of glorious union has done for Scotland?

And now the Jerries are going to what? Invade us? Start shouting? What?

Oil, energy and foodstuff rich Scotland will be just fine and will get along dandy with all our european neighbours.

s'funny how these con/dems are allowed to spout this crap about these benefit cuts are about encouraging people to work without our so-called journos pulling them up.

firstly the jobs aren't there, and an ever increasing cheap labour market are competing for those that are.

most pertinent is the fact that the unemployment benefit bill, JSA, is dwarfed by the Working Tax Credit bill to the tune of £5bn to £40+bn. This means we're subsidizing businesses that wont pay a living wage to a factor 8x that of unemployment. Alot of these employers not paying a living wage will be the same corporations with obscene levels of pay at the top and minimum wages (or phuck all wages in some cases) for most others.

Mainstream Media is as much to blame as the kunting politicoes and their corporate masters. ( i know there is the odd exception, but it says everything that if a journo does his job like the fella questioning Boris johnson last week, it becomes a news story itself)

We've got a zombie economy and we know who made it.

I'm starting to think that I might vote Yes now.

Reasoning is that if we're stuck with shitey second rate politicians like Labour then we can't complain.

Better to have tried the unknown than be stuck with rubbish.

I'm starting to think that I might vote Yes now.

Reasoning is that if we're stuck with shitey second rate politicians like Labour then we can't complain.

Better to have tried the unknown than be stuck with rubbish.

In all honesty, I think that is a fairly decent reason. If what we have is utter shit, then why not take a chance on something that is possibly utter shit, or possibly better. It isn't a gamble in the slightest in my view.

Worst case scenario, not much changes, so we may as well take a shot at it...

Sometimes this independence debate gets pulled in all sorts of obscure directions, so lets just remember the basics. Scotland has the chance to become a more fair and just society, lets not waste that chance.

we also recognise that we need independence because, to quote Cameron himself, ‘Britain is broken’. We don’t want to wake up to many more mornings like this one.

clicky

post-39650-0-07406100-1364823612_thumb.j

It's funny how the EU seems desperate to get Norway in, yet they're going to exclude Scotland because Greece has a messed up economy. Perfect sense.

In fact, we should probably just join the EFTA for a few years to see how many hoops we can get the EU will jump through to appeal to us.

The nation state, with the very specific exception of Israel,

And North Korea. And South Korea. And Japan. And Albania. And several others.

Why counterfactually single out Israel here? What is your motivation?

Yes, it is. It's an ethnically homogenous state whose constitution provides for the state deriving its authority from the Japanese people (as opposed to the people of Japan.) It naturalization and birth-citizenship laws are heavily, heavily weighted towards the Japanese nation. It's as clear an example as a nation state you'll find outside of the Koreas.

So our resident expert s believe that Scotland is a state and Japan (and Korea)is a nation state. Thankfully neither of those two have anything to do with the yes campaign.

I never said Scotland is a state. You're lumping my views in with someone else's.

Both of the Koreas and Japan are nation-states. In Japan's case, the one you disputed, I've explained why. I'd love to hear why your views differ.

Experts. Plural. I'm on my phone which for some reason won't let me quote, apologies if I didn't make that clear. I think you have a very top down definition of nation states, which implies a passive, placated people who totally buy into the concept. The truth, particularly in Japan, is that there are swathes of the population who buy into the state not one iota more than you buy into the concept of a one nation conservative Westminster. The ainu separatist movement, for example. This includes the mainland, as well as the "disputed territories." The point is, in every case of where the concept of a nation exists within a constitution, it is directly challenged and often results in instability of government.

With regards to Korea, you have more of a point.

Actually, in between sarcasm and abuse, XBL has reiterated what I think is one of the stronger arguments of independence: as individuals, things can't really get worse. The worst case scenario is that things stay pretty much as they are, only without the influence in the EU/UN. Which is why it surprises me to hear him argue that because Scotland is a nation (which it is) it should become a state.

Archived