North Korea ...again

Just now, EdgarusQPFC said:

Plenty have said that if the Atom Bombs weren't used the war could have lasted to the new year at the risk of millions of lives. 

The US used the bomb to end a war, NK want one to begin a war

You learn something every day.

The neverending cycle of strong words and threats from both sides is moronic and someone needs to decide to be the adult. When the two possibilities are Trump and Kim, this seems unlikely so China should be taking the lead.

Discussions should be centred around sanctions relief in return for transparency and checks on NK's nuclear program. It worked with Iran (in theory so far) who have been public enemy number 1 for decades. A new US administration should at least try this approach before reverting to plan A.

Plenty have said that if the Atom Bombs weren't used the war could have lasted to the new year at the risk of millions of lives. 

I'm not sure about the second one. Anyway, if I lived in the Far East I'd be far more worried by a nuclear armed neighbour that works on slave labour and a personality cult than a democracy run by a reality TV star shyster. Maybe I put that wrong.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You learn something every day.

To my knowledge the quick end to the war is said to have helped towards ending the Famine in Vietnam, not completely of course but it certainly helped as millions had died and possibly up to 2 million more could have if things continued as they did.

Just now, EdgarusQPFC said:

To my knowledge the quick end to the war is said to have helped towards ending the Famine in Vietnam, not completely of course but it certainly helped as millions had died and possibly up to 2 million more could have if things continued as they did.

Who was it that was in that war again?

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who was it that was in that war again?

Japan was occupying vietnam towards the final months of WW2 and if i remember correctly they basically took over from the french and were taking almost all food production from the country to feed their troops

27 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

How many Missiles have the US fired close to nations under the guise of innocent missile tests? How many nations have the US threatened with Nuclear war?

You're confusing threats of aggression with acts of aggression.  FWIW I think NK is a fairly unstable regime but I think their whole stance has been as a result of the isolationism that has come about by being targeted by the US, and hence, the rest of the West for decades.

Their paranoia is, therefore, understandable though unfortunate.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You're confusing threats of aggression with acts of aggression.  FWIW I think NK is a fairly unstable regime but I think their whole stance has been as a result of the isolationism that has come about by being targeted by the US, and hence, the rest of the West for decades.

Their paranoia is, therefore, understandable though unfortunate.

Celtic really are a world brand...

By the time the US dropped the two atom bombs they had cracked the Japanese coding system and the end of the war would have been not long afterwards.
The bombs were dropped at the behest of the Generals and Scientists who wanted to make a Statement.

By the time the US dropped the two atom bombs they had cracked the Japanese coding system and the end of the war would have been not long afterwards.
The bombs were dropped at the behest of the Generals and Scientists who wanted to make a Statement.

And a president who wanted to send a message to Moscow.

42 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Japan was occupying vietnam towards the final months of WW2 and if i remember correctly they basically took over from the french and were taking almost all food production from the country to feed their troops

The CIA or whatever they were called then encouraged Ho Chi Minh to feed them intelligence and take orders while he was fighting the Japanese, in return for stopping the return of the French after the War. That went well. 

Fairly unstable is an understatement.
Didn't Kim execute a load of his government with an anti-aircraft gun like some Bond villain?
One was his uncle and another was killed for sleeping?

Keeping that within NK is one thing but there is no level of whataboutery that justifies this guy being allowed to have nukes.

3 hours ago, Kmeister said:

I think that's partly true but they broke most of the codes before Midway. Okinawa was the deciding factor. Plus Russia taking and keeping Japanese islands the US had to stop it quickly with less US casualties.