Thatcher deid

Last time I checked Mussolini or Hitler didn't systematically de-industrialise my home town, providing absolutely hee-haw in the way of economic investment or social care to deal with the problems associated with unemployment, urban flight and drug addiction. In short, you're talking shite.

Absolutely gutted for you though.

The exact same thing happened to my home town, while I was around to witness it happening. Don't be gutted for me, son.

The degree to which anything she 'did' helped to stimulate growth is debateable. The full scale extraction of north sea oil ramped up at about the same time as she began the deindustrialisation of the country. I'd argue that the one covered the other, in which case you could argue that wihtout the ramp up in the north sea, her government would have struggled to put any growth on the economy. In which case all she managed to do was giad the Unions into do or die gambles which they inevitably lost. Whole swathes of industry that could potentially have had futures, even limited ones were gone, and the sudden loss of industries wrekced the communtiies they were based in. That's not good policy, not good economically and not good morally.

Not permitting state investment in oil was the worst policy in the history of the UK.

These industries would have failed with or without Thatcher. Most were already failing anyway. The coal industry was doomed.

Just like you won't ever hear me singing about Mercer despite me thinking (even though it was before my time) that he was a p***k.

I'm just saying out of respect. Wouldn't wish death on my worst enemy...seems people on here are far too bitter.

Bitter? I'm skipping with glee.

Margaret Thatcher: Listen Reagan, we are going into the Falklands to protect our interests and those of the people of the Falklands. If you don't like it, shut the f**k up.

Tony Bliar; Yes George, No George, three bags full George. Never mind our interests, we'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you in the pursuit of your interests.

I know who I prefer.

Thatcher created the falklands conflict to stay in power, the blood of many on both sides is on her hands

Please do not assume that 'younger people' don't know about Thatcher. Her legacy lives on, their families will likely have suffered and told them and you never know they might actually be interested in politics.

I was born in the 80's so clearly won't have felt what she did like someone born in the 60's but despite not having the full experience I am fully aware of what she has done. Others will be as well.

Not permitting state investment in oil was the worst policy in the history of the UK.

These industries would have failed with or without Thatcher. Most were already failing anyway. The coal industry was doomed.

I disagree that it should be so black and white. As I said previously, there is more than two possible outcomes than 1) Status quo and 2) dismantle the whole lot.

There would've been modernisation, rationalisation and cutbacks - but there still would have been those industries in a lot of places.

Condolences to Lady Thatcher's family. A formidable politician whose policies defined a political generation (AA)

Salmonds reaction was always going to be the most interesting.

I disagree that it should be so black and white. As I said previously, there is more than two possible outcomes than 1) Status quo and 2) dismantle the whole lot.

There would've been modernisation, rationalisation and cutbacks - but there still would have been those industries in a lot of places.

I disagree. These industries had such significant labour issues - there was a car factory in England that went on strike something crazy like 177 times in one year. Industry has been declining in many areas of the advanced world, including the US for example. It's hardly a trend unique to the UK.

We have migrated towards a service based economy, and not solely because of Margaret Thatcher.

The south English really are seething with the delights of the scots, the north English and welsh. f**k her and the Tories. She's caused the current credit crunch.

Il start digging the grave