The Clyde FC Summer Transfer Spectacular

Christ. Some will be 'unhappy' if BF makes his first signing a centre back. So what if he does??? Yes the defence individually were probably the best functioning unit of the team....but collectively we still conceded a barrowload. Not a pop at BMcQ or Marsh but if the manager wishes to improve the area then tough titty. Or indeed a bid has been made....in which case i'm glad he is keeping us linked with players he wants rather than feed off the scraps like we have done. Is BF's apparent dedication to this as a full-time job, seeking players out, sharing a vision, really going to be putting some nutcases noses out of joint??? Managing Clyde was not the biggest thing in any of the last five or six managers lives, business or otherwise. Including the last one. Arguably, especially. Ferguson's future in the game is entirely dependent on success with us. He's made himself a damn sight clearer, motivated, driven and for me genuinely committed to success here than every one of them since Roberts. This 'you can't toy with Duffy's team/cant work with an improved budget to the last one' etc needs nipped in the bud, Clyde were and are a stepping stone, always will be, but if those in charge deliver, frankly i couldn't care less who.falls by the wayside.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christ. Some will be 'unhappy' if BF makes his first signing a centre back. So what if he does??? Yes the defence individually were probably the best functioning unit of the team....but collectively we still conceded a barrowload. Not a pop at BMcQ or Marsh but if the manager wishes to improve the area then tough titty. Or indeed a bid has been made....in which case i'm glad he is keeping us linked with players he wants rather than feed off the scraps like we have done. Is BF's apparent dedication to this as a full-time job, seeking players out, sharing a vision, really going to be putting some nutcases noses out of joint??? Managing Clyde was not the biggest thing in any of the last five or six managers lives, business or otherwise. Including the last one. Arguably, especially. Ferguson's future in the game is entirely dependent on success with us. He's made himself a damn sight clearer, motivated, driven and for me genuinely committed to success here than every one of them since Roberts. This 'you can't toy with Duffy's team/cant work with an improved budget to the last one' etc needs nipped in the bud, Clyde were and are a stepping stone, always will be, but if those in charge deliver, frankly i couldn't care less who.falls by the wayside.

Well said!

Some of the best players in this division and the two above us were in the juniors at one point. The quality is arguably better than the SPFL leagues in some cases. I'd be more than happy to get a few junior lads on board they will want to show they can play in the senior game.

Been done, replicated and then put out to pasture. Good players will always emerge from any level, and i'd expect more than a few could hold their own in senior league football if it werent for the $£€ on offer, which as you'd expect makes all the difference. People point to the Junior Revolution of 1998, as some sort of point that there's an endless well of talent...there isn't and never has been. Any success achieved therein, was a result of the system in place, recruitment policies and the team on the park being the most important thing. The same success would have been forthcoming had those of that time arrived from Knightswood Juveniles instead of Maryhill. Arbroath tried b*****dising this approacg under Baikie, snapping up the East Coast juniors.......i dont recall any of theirs reaching the heights of Greer Ross Marko Paddy or Imrie, nor for that matter even Convery or Smith in holding down places at a succesful First Division club.

Been done, replicated and then put out to pasture. Good players will always emerge from any level, and i'd expect more than a few could hold their own in senior league football if it werent for the $£€ on offer, which as you'd expect makes all the difference. People point to the Junior Revolution of 1998, as some sort of point that there's an endless well of talent...there isn't and never has been. Any success achieved therein, was a result of the system in place, recruitment policies and the team on the park being the most important thing. The same success would have been forthcoming had those of that time arrived from Knightswood Juveniles instead of Maryhill. Arbroath tried b*****dising this approacg under Baikie, snapping up the East Coast juniors.......i dont recall any of theirs reaching the heights of Greer Ross Marko Paddy or Imrie, nor for that matter even Convery or Smith in holding down places at a succesful First Division club.

Thistle tried it aswell n failed wae the likes o Steve Dallas n Gav Duncan and so on..

Much as i feel ronnie put the knife in on way oot the door, It was funny watchn others trying to copy n complete fail..

Foreva n eva

I really can't see us going with a back 3 unless we sign a couple of decent wing backs for either side, in which case we'd lose the width of McColm and Fergie which was so successful last season. Not sure I would use they 2 as wing backs either.

I really can't see us going with a back 3 unless we sign a couple of decent wing backs for either side, in which case we'd lose the width of McColm and Fergie which was so successful last season. Not sure I would use they 2 as wing backs either.

Would be a disaster.

Ferguson's future is defintely as a support striker, and could be a direct replacement for McCluskey if a good right-sided up-down player can be brought in to assist McGhee. McColm could easily be the midfield ball-carrier alongside Sweeney's energy and Barry Ferguson's string-pulling. In fact based on what we currently have, i'd opt for 1. Barclay 2. McGhee (rwb) 3. Frances (cb) 4. Marsh (cb) 5. McQueen (cb/lib) 6. 45-times capped Barry Ferguson (cdm) 7. McKinnon (lwb) 8. Sweeney (rcm) 9. Daly (cf) 10. Future Scotland International Scott Ferguson (ss) and 11. McColm (lcm). What we can add to that i don't know, but thats not a bad base to start.

Archived