Dundee United 2013/14 Season

We don't get Europe if we lose in the final to Aberdeen.

One CL spot and three EL spots is it not?

I know there's been talk for a while of defeated finalists not getting the third spot (I actually agree with that) but I'm pretty sure that's still the way it is.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One CL spot and three EL spots is it not?

I know there's been talk for a while of defeated finalists not getting the third spot (I actually agree with that) but I'm pretty sure that's still the way it is.

Only if the cup winners have already qualified for the champions league. This year Aberdeen look nailed on for 2nd or 3rd: if they win the cup then they'll qualify as cup winners and the next two highest league placings will qualify through the league.

In truth many of "United's" great youngsters are poached from clubs like Brechin City and Queens Park.

Not sure who you're classing as great but most of out of our young Scottish players in the first team squad; Souttar, Gauld, Watson, Armstrong and Dow have only ever been at United. Like Goodie and Russell before them. Andy Robertson was signed from Queens Park, Aiden Connolly too but can't class him as a great yet which leaves GMS who has been a product of a few clubs but it's not true to say that we poach our young players from elsewhere.

He wasn't, his family moved to Dundee when he was 17 and he joined United. He may have had a short spell training with ICT at 16 but it was for less than a year.

Not sure who you're classing as great but most of out of our young Scottish players in the first team squad; Souttar, Gauld, Watson, Armstrong and Dow have only ever been at United. Like Goodie and Russell before them. Andy Robertson was signed from Queens Park, Aiden Connolly too but can't class him as a great yet which leaves GMS who has been a product of a few clubs but it's not true to say that we poach our young players from elsewhere.

I'm assuming he's confused the Brechin boys club that Gauld, Souttar and Spark played for with Brechin City.

Which is an easy mistake to make.

*it's not, really.

I'm assuming he's confused the Brechin boys club that Gauld, Souttar and Spark played for with Brechin City.

*it's not, really.

Agreed its not however if the boys club has players like Gauld and Souttar playing and City have Kenneth then the result of a match between the two could only have one outcome.

*it's not, really.

Sure I read somewhere the United signed-up all 14 players from that age group? Souttar's dad was the manager, not sure if it included young Soapy and perhaps Petrie?

Sure I read somewhere the United signed-up all 14 players from that age group? Souttar's dad was the manager, not sure if it included young Soapy and perhaps Petrie?

I think the other young boy Euan Spark who recently signed a contract extension with Gauld and Souttar came from the same club. Like Waffelz said I'm sure Petrie didn't come from the same club as Gauld and Souttar.

Now I'm not saying that these lads were poached from other senior clubs as adults but a fair few were taken from other clubs' youth set ups, or had at least been part of another club's set up. Armstrong (ICT), Dow (Dundee), Gauld (Brechin City), Souttar (Brechin City), Robertson & Connolly (Queens Park).

What United do seem to be good at is attracting the cream of other clubs youth set ups (I don't know how), developing them for a year or two and then they hit the first team as "products of United's youth set up". Its a system that obviously works well.

Now I'm not saying that these lads were poached from other senior clubs as adults but a fair few were taken from other clubs' youth set ups, or had at least been part of another club's set up. Armstrong (ICT), Dow (Dundee), Gauld (Brechin City), Souttar (Brechin City), Robertson & Connolly (Queens Park).

What United do seem to be good at is attracting the cream of other clubs youth set ups (I don't know how), developing them for a year or two and then they hit the first team as "products of United's youth set up". Its a system that obviously works well.

Gauld and Souttar have both been at United for over eight years. Dow came to United when he was 12. Armstrong was released by ICT when they dismantled their youth set-up after getting relegated and before he had ever featured in a first team squad.

I've never heard anyone suggest that Robertson or Connolly were products of the United youth set-up although neither have ever played for a professional club previously. Is that too fine a distinction? Depends if you think that someone can have a proprietorial interest without actually paying you.

In short, you're talking nonsense. United's youth set up and signing policy is no different than any other. Clubs sign players at 8/10/12/14/16/18/20 etc and try to develop every single one of them into first team players. The acid test is whether they actually play and contribute to the first team, not whether they previously played for Brechin Boys Club when they were 9 years old.

Gauld and Souttar have both been at United for over eight years. Dow came to United when he was 12.

They're clearly not products of United if they weren't grown in a pumpkin patch in the allotments behind the east stand or didn't come out of Steven Thompson's vagina.

Archived