Dundee United 2013/14 Season

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superb news, Rankin's been immense for us this season and it's relief to know that he'll be around for another couple of years. I understand what McNamara was trying to do when he made Gunning or Armstrong captain whilst Dillon's been out of the team, particularly with Gunning. However, at this point Rankin has to keep the armband from now on as he's been an excellent leader on the pitch for us and the partnership he and Paton quickly formed has been vital for us this season. It's amazing to think given how important he's been for us these past three years, that quite a few of us were a bit underwhelmed when he first signed in 2011 and most Hibs fans were lining up to laugh at us for bringing him to Tannadice.

I'm bloody delighted with this news as with the other contract extensions so far this season it puts us in a good position squad wise for next year. The only way it can get better at the moment is if Mackay-Steven was to agree to extend his contract for another year.

Great news, I hope that the 'contract extension curse' doesn't strike and he becomes a bit rubbish now! I'm sure he won't though and it is the work he does that allows others to express themselves. He has grown into a bit of a fans favourite which is not something we all expected but he has to be stick on for captain (I don't mind Dillon as a 'club captain', but he never plays!)

Excellent news for us arabs ! My thoughts are that he should have been made skipper a long long time ago, and he certainly proved his worth when Armstrong was subbed during the Killie game, has been by far the most consistent performer for United Strachan should definitely be calling him up soon !

First McNamara, now Rankin; things are looking pretty good at the moment. GMS signing an extension would be the icing on the cake but the longer it goes on the less likely it is. I'm ambivalent about Gunning TBH.

I can't remember enjoying a season like this for a long time. Financial security, squad consistency, youth system paying dividends and, of course, some scintillating and mesmeric football.

There must be something around the corner to ruin all this good news: no bank debt, new contract for our manager, countless highly valued wonderkids...

Maybe this is all to soften the possible soon to be released news that we have extended the current Tannadice catering contract for the next few seasons…..

Aberdeen are 10 points ahead of us and have played one extra game, with 12 games to go for us. Not impossible for us to catch them but very difficult and probably unlikely. Regardless of our results I think they would have to go on a very bad run and there's no sign that will happen.

Game in hand and two head-to-heads to come. Could be down to 1 point. It's nearly in our own hands. But, as you say, unlikely.

Was absolutely delighted with Rankin getting a new deal. Not only is he one of the best players in our team at the moment, but I also think he would be one of the hardest to replace. His determination and effort is better than anyone else I can remember playing for us in recent times and he also seems like a great mentor for the younger guys.

Does that just leave us with Gunning and Dow that aren't signed up past the summer?

Was absolutely delighted with Rankin getting a new deal. Not only is he one of the best players in our team at the moment, but I also think he would be one of the hardest to replace. His determination and effort is better than anyone else I can remember playing for us in recent times and he also seems like a great mentor for the younger guys.

Does that just leave us with Gunning and Dow that aren't signed up past the summer?

Nah McCallum and Gomis(??).

Dundee United voted most popular club in Dundee.

Will Andrew Robertson get a cap tomorrow? We've had a few players called up friendlies in the past and the manager hasn't bothered to give them some reasonable game time.

Archived